The Antwerp Management School’s Executive PhD Program is a high-level support program for executives and C-level managers with a strong ambition to bring state-of-the-art knowledge and excellent research skills into the workplace and into society.
Participants will acquire new mindsets and methodologies to approach actual business issues they are confronted with in their organizations or in society. Hence, the program has a major impact on the participants’ professional development.
Our Executive PhD candidates embark on this program for a variety of (personal) reasons:
The desire for an intellectual challenge; The strong belief an Executive PhD will enhance their career to the next professional level; Recognition that accepted wisdom is not sufficient for effectively dealing with organizational challenges; The urgent need of individuals and organizations to acquire strong academic insights; Yearning for life-long learning. To thrive in today’s complex, internationally competitive business environment, organizations require leaders who possess interdisciplinary knowledge, the ability to think in global terms and the acumen to design systems that respond to rapid changing trends.
The Executive PhD Program offered by Antwerp Management School helps executives develop capabilities to apply relevant knowledge and research skills to contemporary business problems.
The Executive PhD Program also addresses the life-long learning aspirations of intellectually active professionals who already possess advanced degrees in their fields yet wish to continue their education to the highest level.
WHY FOLLOW THIS PROGRAM AT ANTWERP MANAGEMENT SCHOOL?
Attending this Program should present the pinnacle of the participant’s personal and professional development. Over a period of 4 years, you will gain competencies crucial to further successfully intensify your career spanning, both in Academia and Industry. In this respect, you will:
- Acquire the latest theoretical and practical insights in your chosen management field and learn the skills of advancing knowledge through methodologically robust applied research methods;
- Demonstrate the ability to develop original contributions to existing knowledge;
- Learn the skills needed to transfer knowledge in both academic and business environments, in oral and written form;
- Gain broad insights into your specialization through membership and collaboration within the Antwerp Management School Competence Centers;
- Become part of a Top ranked international management school.
The purpose of the Executive PhD Program is to advance the development and practice of effective organizational leadership by providing senior-level executives with:
- Knowledge and expertise required to identify, understand and successfully tackle the interdisciplinary, big-picture issues that characterize global business management today;
- Skills in formal social inquiry required to define and address complex issues and to disseminate knowledge related to their profession in a variety of means of expression to influence both practical and public policies;
- An interdisciplinary, globally oriented perspective unavailable in traditional advanced degree programs.
Evidence bases management skills and insights that will spur new solution-oriented thinking in both organizations and society.
Career level: General management, Senior management
Senior executives with over 10 years of relevant management experience, working in organizations that are predominantly internationally oriented. A significant proportion is expected to hold board-level or CEO positions. Participants should have a commitment to life-long learning, and personal and leadership development. Inquisitiveness and curiosity are important assets of a doctoral researcher.
Four-year part-time program. Stage 1 consists of five on-campus modules spread over 18 months. Stage 2 comprises 6 on-campus modules over 30 months.
The Executive PhD 2015 – 2019 cohort starts on Wednesday 16 September 2015.
The program will be thought at the premises of the Antwerp Management School and occasionally at a residential location in Belgium.
SME conditions: This program is recognized for the system of 'KMO-portefeuille' of the Flemish Government. Public and social profit sector: participants working in public or social profit organizations enjoy special conditions. Please contact the Program Manager for the requirements. Training vouchers
We only admit participants to the Executive PhD Program with an intrinsic motivation and willingness to contribute to academic research and to become the next generation business leaders. Candidates must hold an MBA or Master’s degree from an academic accredited academic institution, have at least ten years of professional experience in the field of management and should be able to demonstrate academic and professional progression.
The program is taught in English. Therefore an excellent oral and written knowledge of English is required. Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
After successfully defending your PhD dissertation (after 4 years), you will acquire a doctoral degree (PhD) in management.
Fill in the online application form on top of this page and upload the following documents:
- Motivation letter in which you demonstrate your academic and professional progression
- Updated Resume/CV;
- A copy of your passport;
- A recent photograph (passport photo)
- Outline of your pre-selected research field and a research idea, (which should demonstrate high potential for high performance capability in applied business and interdisciplinary research and) which aligns with the Antwerp Management School priorities as set by the Competence Centers’ domains;
- Two letters of recommendation (one academic and one business);
- A copy of your MBA or Masters certificate.
Send scanned versions of your TOEFL/IELTS scores (except for native English speakers or applicants who have completed their undergraduate studies in a native English speaking country) to the Executive PhD’s Program Manager.
The deadline to apply for the 2015 – 2019 Cohort is 31st of August 2015.
Once your application file has been accepted, intakes will be organized to get a better insight of your motivation and perseverance. All applicants are required to present their initial research proposal to an interview panel that consists of Faculty members of the Executive PhD Program.
Candidates are asked to prepare a short presentation of approximately ten minutes, which outlines the managerial issue they wish to explore. These presentation should address the following questions:
- Why do you think this issue is an important topic and why does it need researching?
- What questions do you think your research might address?
- What might be understood or known as a result of your research?
- To whom would it be of value?
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 25, 2015