KHM Doctoral Programme
The Academy of Media Arts Cologne offers students, through doctoral regulations adopted in 2004, the possibility to complete philosophical dissertations. In accordance with recently passed state legislation for art schools in NRW, graduates are awarded doctorates with an academic focus and of a level equivalent to a university degree (Dr. phil.). A connection to artistic practise is prerequisite to admission for this degree and proximity to artistic experimentation is sought after. The assessment of the dissertation remains, though, in all its elements, an academic one. However, research approaches that pursue new forms of questioning exposed by artistic and media practise, which are otherwise not evident in an academic context, are encouraged.
At many universities, it remains a problem to this day to gain admission on a doctorate programme with an arts degree. The connection between artistic questioning and scientific methods in particular should lead to outstanding new results in the KHM's doctoral programme. The doctoral disciplines on offer are design studies, experimental computer science, film studies, communication studies, art studies and media studies. A thematic supervision relating to this classification is carried out by the doctoral teaching staff at the KHM. This individual supervision is supplemented by a regular interdisciplinary colloquium, which promotes cooperative exchange with academics and doctoral students from other institutes.
Cooperation with colleagues from universities and other artistic-scientific institutions, as well as colloquia and additional, individually tailored activities, ensure that doctoral projects are given an appropriate academic background. Work with an emphasis on the inclusion of specific artistic/design experiments and practises in decidedly science-oriented projects should still be strived for. In the current period of change towards a diverse range of PhD programmes, doctorates in the arts and cooperative relationships with universities, this academic programme leading to the title of Dr. phil. represents a distinguishing feature of the KHM.
As a rule, the doctoral dissertation should be written in German. For questions about applying to the programme please see our leaflet 'Application Procedure'. There are no application deadlines. Following acceptance in the doctoral programme, students can enroll at the Academic Office for the upcoming term.
Please note that the Academy cannot provide scholarships, but will offer assistance in applying for external grants.
How to Apply for Admission to the Doctoral Programme at the Academy of Media Arts Cologne
With due regard to the Academy's Doctoral Degree Regulations, the doctoral commission recommends to submit the following documents:
- Informal letter of application stating the applicant's wish to be admitted to the doctoral programme at the Academy of Media Arts Cologne and citing the attached documents.
- Detailed curriculum vitae bearing the applicant's signature and highlighting his/her academic education as well as academic and/or artistic activities pursued until now.
- Exposé of the doctoral project (approx. 3-4 pages) outlining the field and hypotheses of research as well as the methods of approach.
- Work/time schedule of approx. 2 pages.
- A letter by a professor of the KHM qualified to supervise doctorates, who declares that he/she will be the applicant’s doctoral advisor. (This means that a supervisor has to be found prior to this application!)
- Written statement about the discipline the project should be assigned to. The disciplines on offer are: design studies, experimental computer science, film studies, communication studies, art studies and media studies.
The commission reserves the right to ask for further documents. The documents specified above are listed in accordance with the Academy’s Doctoral Degree Regulations established on March 31, 2004.
Please submit your application documents by sending them as a printout to:
Kunsthochschule für Medien Köln, Promotionsausschuss, Peter-Welter-Platz 2, D - 50676 Köln
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 4, 2015