PhD in Accounting
You'll undertake specialised business research in accounting education, auditing, financial accounting, social and environmental accountability and corporate governance.
During the Master of Business program you'll develop a thorough understanding of your specialisation and make a significant contribution of knowledge to the field.
The Doctor of Philosophy takes you to the next level and requires you to complete a more substantial and rigorous thesis.
Learning and teaching
RMIT's new Swanston Academic Building (SAB) is the base for your business research career.
This exciting building features:
- wireless connection to printers, the web and specialist learning resources
- the School of Graduate Research office
- 5 Star Green Star Rating/Australian Excellence in sustainable design.
If you don't own a computer then talk to us about great discounts or our laptop scholarship program.
RMIT offers a variety of learning and teaching approaches including lectures, seminars, studios, workshops, presentations, group discussions and syndicate work. These are primarily in English.
You will have access to the Learning Hub and other online and digital resources through the myRMIT student portal.
You will undertake the approved research program under the supervision of an appointed research supervisor. Successful completion involves submitting a thesis or project.
Unless you have an exemption you must complete the Research Methods course. This is usually done in your first semester to assist you in preparing your research proposal for confirmation of candidature.
Graduates are employed in academia, government, business, industry and non-government organisations.
As a researcher, your original research and publication can make a real difference to society.
Program entry requirements
One of the following:
- Successful completion of an Australian Masters by Research degree or equivalent.
- Successful completion of an Australian Masters by Coursework degree or equivalent WITH a research component graded as a distinction (GPA of 3.00 out of 4.00).
- Successful completion of an Australian Bachelor (Honours) degree graded as first or second class (over 70% or GPA of 3.00 out of 4.00).
Entry into a Research program at RMIT is not based solely on academic achievement and applicants must meet the following minimum academic requirements to be considered for candidature.
Applicants who do not meet the minimum academic entry requirements, but can demonstrate extensive knowledge and appropriate research experience in the field of study may be considered for entry if they can supply evidence of their knowledge, experience and ability to undertake the program. Examples of such evidence can include previous academic standing, peer and non-peer reviewed quality research publications and exhibitions, professional esteem, or significant relevant industry and professional experience.
All research programs require you to:
- Submit a research proposal outlining:
- area of research to be undertaken
- research methodology
- literature review
- expected outcome/s of research.
- Identify a suitable RMIT academic supervisor. Research candidatures are subject to the availability of an academic supervisor and suitability of research.
- Submit a folio or additional information if you are applying for a studio based research program within the art, architecture or design related disciplines on request.
English language requirements
To undertake most research programs at RMIT, you must have achieved one of the following English proficiency test results within the last 2 years:
- Academic IELTS (minimum score) overall band of 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- TOEFL (Paper-based): minimum score of 580 (with a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): minimum score of 92 with a minimum of 20 in each section
- Cambridge English (Advanced CAE): CAE Grade B (no band less than Good)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): minimum score of 58 (no band less than 50).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 6, 2016