PhD in Educational Leadership
The PhD in educational leadership program is designed to provide students with a strong background in five domains: (a) leadership, (b) research, (c) policy, (d) ethics and (e) diversity. As the highest academic degree granted by Clemson University, the PhD is designed to prepare students to become scholars who discover, integrate and apply knowledge as leaders in schools and post-secondary and community educational institutions and agencies. This is accomplished through close association with and apprenticeship to faculty members experienced in research, teaching and a variety of leadership roles in the field of education.
A student admitted to the educational leadership doctoral program must begin course work within one year from the semester of acceptance or reapply for admission. Students are discouraged from taking more than six hours of doctoral course work prior to being admitted to the program (this does not preclude the use of courses completed in the EdS degree in educational administration).
Regular application deadlines are Oct. 1, for spring admissions and March 1, for summer/fall admissions.
- Baccalaureate and master’s degrees from accredited institutions.
- The cover letter must be two or three (2-3) pages in which candidate discusses (1) reasons for pursuing the Ph.D. degree in Educational Leadership, particularly as related to career and professional goals, i.e. elementary and secondary education or higher education, (2) one or more issues on which the candidate might like to do research, and (3) distinguishing characteristics that demonstrate candidate’s potential for success in this program. This letter will be evaluated as a writing sample. You may send an electronic version of this document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Admission to the Clemson Graduate School
- Meet all requirements of the Graduate School.
- Transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Three recommendations that address the applicant's professional experience and scholarly potential.
- Current curriculum vita listing educational background, work experiences, professional service experiences, and other related experiences. You may send an electronic version of this document to email@example.com.
- Competitive GRE score (within five years of application date).
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must also submit acceptable TOEFL scores.
In accordance with departmental policy, the program of study in educational leadership will include a minimum of 58 graduate level course credits beyond the master's degree and an 18 hour dissertation project.
These required courses represent a basic body of knowledge in educational leadership. A student must demonstrate a proficiency in this material through the comprehensive examination.