- Duration (years): 3 years
- Qualification Awarded: Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering
- Level of Qualification: 3rd Cycle (Doctorate Degree)
- Language of Instruction: The research output and the PhD Thesis must be written in English.
- Mode of Study: Full Time or Part Time
- Minimum Credits: 90
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 180
Profile of the Programme:
The doctorate degree is intended for students who have excelled during their undergraduate and/or graduate studies, have a strong motivation and enthusiasm toward technological research and innovation, and are inclined to remain in an academic or research environment working on emerging technologies and challenging engineering projects.
The Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering of the University of Nicosia is dedicated to provide PhD candidates with in-depth academic knowledge and hands-on experience on advanced engineering topics such as telecommunications, signal and image processing, microwave engineering, antenna technology and wave propagation, power system analysis and design, renewable energy technologies, and computer engineering systems. The high-caliber academic staff of the department is dedicated to work closely with students to solve current engineering problems thereby producing new knowledge and results that can be published in reputable journals and conference proceedings.
During their studies, students will have the opportunity to work on funded research projects, co-author papers with their advisors and other class-mates, present their contributions at international conferences, participate in the write-up of research proposals, prepare scientific reports, use simulation software, perform laboratory experiments, attend training schools, participate in workshops, etc. The three-year experience acquired during their PhD studies, working primarily on formulating and solving challenging engineering problems, will provide students with the necessary skills and qualifications to excel in their field of expertise and secure a research/academic position at a university or college, a government institute, or high-tech company.
Graduates with a PhD in Electrical Engineering will be equipped with the necessary skills in order to enable them to secure a research/academic position at a university or college, a government institute, or high-tech company.
The PhD in Electrical Engineering, in line with the general philosophy behind the awarding of a doctoral degree, provides students with:
- highly specialized and advanced scientific knowledge in the field of Electrical Engineering;
- new methodologies and scientific approaches tailored toward innovative design, scientific progress, and technological revolution;
- research skills and analytical thinking to effectively tackle critical engineering problems;
- extensive training and professional practice in their primary area of research interest;
- competencies related to substantial authority, innovation, autonomy, scholarly and professional integrity.
PhD in Electrical Engineering holders:
- have a deep understanding of their research topic(s) and demonstrate advanced skills and research capabilities associated with their field(s) of expertise;
- have the ability to conceive, design, implement and adapt a substantial process of research;
- have made a notable contribution through original research that extends the frontier of science through the development of a substantial body of work, some of which merits national or international refereed publication;
- are capable of critical thinking, analytical evaluation, and synthesis of new and complex engineering ideas;
- are able to promote technological, social or cultural advancement in a knowledge based society;
- are able to work as part of a team in an academic and research environment promoting new ideas and emerging technologies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 11, 2015