NEMPS is a doctoral programme offered by Universidade Lusófona. The programme's NEMPS has a total minimum duration of 3 consecutive years, full time, and a maximum duration of four years. It comprises eleven (11) curricular units, five (5) of which are mandatory. The programme comprises two main parts...
Best Doctorate Studies in Telecommunications in Portugal 2017. NEMPS is a doctoral programme offered by Universidade Lusófona. The programme's NEMPS has a total minimum duration of 3 consecutive years, full time, and a maximum duration of four years. It comprises eleven (11) curricular units, five (5) of which are mandatory. The programme comprises two main parts:
- Curricular Component. A total of 60 ECTS are split across two semesters (each holding 30 ECTS). The first semester includes two (2) mandatory curricular units (Research and Innovation Methodologies; Digital Media) and four (4) optional curricular units - two to be selected by the candidate. The second semester includes two (2) mandatory curricular units (Thesis Planning; Pervasive Communication Systems) and two (2) optative curricular, of which candidates must select one.
- Research Component. Comprising a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 3, this is the part dedicated to the thesis work, which will end with the presentation of the doctoral thesis.
To complement the education of MSc and undergrad students in science and engineering courses, providing advanced training in emergent areas of pervasive communication systems and digital media.
To assist in the development of competences in terms of research methodology and experimentation, allowing the autonomous development of research and the development of activities covering several aspects of the R&D process, namely, selection and application of writing techniques for the dissemination of R&D results.
To provide candidates with a solid grasp of the most recent evolution concerning informatics sciences, in particular concerning pervasive systems and new media. The programme integrates a teaching staff from ECATI, most of which also integrate the ECATI R&D Unit COPELABS (Informatics Systems and Technologies) as associate members, and which have strong expertise in fields such as complex systems, computational sciences, digital media, and Internet technologies and systems.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
Over 36 months, applicants shall acquire skills in three areas of intervention, established in accordance to the "European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Good Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers." Out of the three areas of intervention, two are mandatory (knowledge area and research area), while the third is an optional training area.Such areas are:
- Knowledge area: it has the goal to support knowledge acquisition in specific
scientific and technological fields, being offered via the curricular units, and seminars.
Topics covered are grouped in accordance to the two main programme's themes (New
Media and Pervasive Systems).
- Research area: it has the goal to assist student in the development of accomplishment
of a plan of research studies appropriate to reach with excellence the doctor degree.
Such study plan will be developed within an international research context, based on
the R&D Unit COPELABS (Cognitive and People-Centric Computing).
- Training area: it aims at providing students with the possibility to overcome specific challenges in implementing their research plans. This training nature is optional and its validity is analyzed by the student's advisor. In case of approval, it shall be included in the student's research plan and it can be implemented, for example, in collaboration with an industrial partner under a national or an international research project.
Equipments and venues
NEMPS is held at the campus of Universidade Lusófona. The facilities that the programme has are:
- 2 auditoriums and a lecture hall. Average-sized classrooms (up to 40 persons).
- Space dedicated to individual work located in the R&D Unit COPELABS. The unit has an open-space area for PhD students with a module composed of chair, desk, drawers and access to the Internet via wireless and cabling.
- Equipment dedicated to R&D activities, including testing facilities.
- Social area shared within the R&D unit.
-Space in the general Library with over 4,000 monographs, specialized journals and online access to scientific journals, namely sage, Intelect and IEEE related to this training area.
Students from NEMPS enjoy online access to relevant scientific repositories (ISI Web of Science; IEEExplore; ACM Digital Library) and also the packages of scientific journals provided by the library Vitor de Sá.
In addition to the labs and study rooms mentioned, students will have access to software and also access to simulators (Matlab, Omnet++, ns2, ONE). ULHT also includes regular facilities as university residence, free wireless coverage in the campus,online secretarial services.
Due to the innovative nature of the proposed doctoral course and due to its similarities with European programmes of reference in the area of media digital and pervasive systems, there are several attractive factors that are expected to give rise to opportunities during the PhD programme implementation, namely:
growing demand for the proposed doctoral programme;
take advantage of the technologies analysed/envisioned by students;
develop new R&D opportunities tailored for market niches;
increase the number of institutional cooperations;
expand the international network of cooperations through partnerships with other teaching institutes (national or international) that are well-aligned with NOMEPS's goals, interests, as well as methodology.