Welcome to Charles University!
Charles University is a leading research university that combines high-quality science, research and education on both a global and national scale. Our goal is not, however, to be merely a scientific and pedagogical institution; in the spirit of Humboldt, we also place emphasis on a positive relationship with the broader European public, of which we are an integral part.
The University strives to be open to talented students, accomplished teachers and researchers from both the Czech Republic and abroad, and to society in its entirety. Besides its achievements in science and research, the facts show that Charles University is a much sought-after institution for students from all parts of the Czech Republic as well as from abroad, and that the University’s main focus is on Master’s and PhD degree programmes. It offers its students a diverse spectrum of options for studies and international stays. Aware of the importance of a lifelong commitment to learning, the University also runs an extensive range of short- and long-term lifelong learning programmes.
The facts and figures also demonstrate how Charles University fulfils its historical mission, as embedded in its Foundation Charter by Charles IV – to elevate the nation’s erudition and to offer its citizens education of the highest quality, which they do not need to seek abroad, but which instead makes the University an institution sought after by foreigners.
The Catholic Theological Faculty was the founding faculty of today’s Charles University in Prague. It was canonically enacted by Pope Clement VI on January 26, 1347. Consequently, it was established by Czech King and Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV by a royal decree of April 7, 1348. Since that time, its legal existence has been continual. Because of the communist persecution of the Catholic Church, the faculty was removed from the University in 1950. After the Velvet Revolution of 1989, the faculty was reintegrated into Charles University. The Grand Chancellor of the faculty is the Archbishop of Prague.
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Dogmatic and Fundamental Theology
- Department of Theological Ethics and Theology of Spirituality
- Department of Biblical Sciences
- Department of Pastoral Theology and Law Sciences
- Institute of Christian Art
The faculty has experience with both Czech and international scientific grant programmes. In case of interest in the international scientific cooperation with our faculty, please contact email@example.com
The Protestant Theological Faculty (originally known as the Hus Czechoslovak Protestant Theological Faculty) was founded in Prague on 28 April 1919.
In the first year of its existence the Faculty had 14 students, but this soon grew to 78 in 1923 and 160 in 1929. Women started studying at the Faculty in 1922; their number increased considerably after the Synod of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren decided to ordain women to the ministry in 1953. In 1949-50 there were 230 students. In 1950 the Communist state decided that the Faculty should be divided into two schools: the Hus Theological Faculty for students from the Czechoslovak Hussite Church, and the Comenius Protestant Theological Faculty for students from the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren and the smaller churches. Under the Communists the Comenius Faculty experienced many difficulties and the number of students dropped to below 100. For most of the 1950s and 1960s the Dean was the leading Czech Protestant theologian Josef Lukl Hromádka. After the fall of the Communist regime in 1989, new opportunities opened up for the Comenius Faculty. There was a tremendous increase in the number of students. In 1990 the Comenius Faculty was incorporated into Charles University and renamed the Protestant Theological Faculty. In 1995 it moved to larger premises on its present site. In 2007-2008 the Faculty had around 500 students and some 25 teaching staff.
The Hussite Theological Faculty is a multidisciplinary oriented theological faculty. The Faculty prepares students for academic work, ministerial service and various professions in education, culture, social services, state administration or politics as well as services abroad. The Hussite Theological Faculty is from its very beginnings bound with the Czechoslovak Hussite Church which was established at the beginning of 1920 from the Catholic Modernist movement.
The studies and academic work at the Faculty is however accessible to everyone regardless of their convictions, sex, race, political affiliations or worldview. The Faculty respects the convictions of its students and is religiously tolerant as proved by the variety of the fields of study on offer.
The Hussite Theological Faculty currently offers theological studies of three Christian convictions – Hussite theology, Orthodox theology and Old Catholic theology as well as Jewish studies, Religious studies, Philosophy and other non-theological fields of study such as social and charity work and pedagogy.
The Law Faculty of Charles University was formed in 1348 as one of four faculties of the newly established Charles University. Presently, with more than 4500 students, the Faculty of Law is the largest accredited law faculty in the Czech Republic. It has a fully accredited Master´s Programme taught in Czech; a Doctoral Programme can be taken either in the Czech or English languages. The Faculty also provides LLM courses taught in English. Many Law Faculty alumni hold prominent positions within the justice system, in central and local administration, within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in public service and also in private legal practice and private businesses.
The First Faculty of Medicine is one of the founding four faculties of the Charles University in Prague. The First Faculty of Medicine founded in 1348 ranks among the fifteen oldest medical schools in the world.
Teaching and research at our faculty cover almost the entire spectrum of medicine and health professions from the full range of basic sciences through clinical specialties. Some disciplines are unique to our school at the national level. We prepare future medical doctors, scientists and health professionals in a modern and friendly fashion. Since we are not only a teaching, but also a research institution, we bring to education the most modern findings and technology.
Students choose the Second Faculty for its exceptional research and teaching excellence, because of aproud tradition of friendship and unity among lecturers, students and administrative staff, and the unique student experience that we offer. Our commitment to preparing successful professionals in primary or hospital-based medical care makes our faculty anoutstanding choice for your studies.
At the Second Faculty you benefit from daily contact with internationally renowned scientists as well as research leaders in many medical fields in the Czech Republic. We particularly focus on the research in the fields of human genetics and genomics, childhood oncology and haematology, oncogynaecology, neuroscience and paediatrics. We regularly publish our results in the best international scientific journals. Many of our academic staff and PhD students are laureates of national or international prizes and awards, and our recognised specialists care for national sporting representations. All of this provides you with the very best opportunity of becoming aprominent healthcare professional.
The Third Faculty of Medicine is one of the five medical faculties of the Charles University. In the academic year 1991/1992 the Faculty introduced a medical curriculum in English language for international students, as a parallel to the curriculum in Czech language. Both are fully comparable with international standards.
Now you have the opportunity to obtain a prestigious Doctor of Medicine (M.D.). In Prague Six year full-time program of medical studies at the Third Faculty of Medicine in English curriculum is open for international students from over the world. The program is accredited by Ministry of Education.
In the academic year 1991/92 the Third Faculty of Medicine introduced a medical curriculum in English for international students. About 100 students from Greece, Canada, Norway, USA, Germany and other countries have since graduated from our Faculty and now work in Europe and North America.
Our curriculum of medicine has since the academic year 1996/97 undergone a radical reform as the only one at medical schools in Central and Eastern Europe, drawing on comparable experience from a number of Western European and North American medical schools. The Third Faculty implemented the curriculum based on principles of integrated and problem–oriented instruction and early contacts with patients.
The Faculty of Medicine, CU in Plzeň is one of seventeen faculties of the venerable Charles University in Prague. It was established by Decree No. 135 of 27th October 1945 issued by President Edvard Beneš. From its humble beginnings, the Faculty of Medicine in Plzeň has grown into a modern university from which 7814 doctors operating both in the Czech Republic and abroad have already graduated, as well as 499 students of the bachelor study programme. In the academic year 2009/2010, 2032 students studied at the Faculty, of which 427 were foreigners.
Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Králové started its educational activities on November 25, 1945 as the first university faculty in East Bohemia. Initially, the Hradec Králové faculty was established as a part of the Prague Faculty of Medicine. Due to their co-operation and assistance it was immediately possible to establish both a high quality teaching staff and an effective departmental structure in Hradec Králové. To date, the studies have almost 10 000 general and dentists doctors. The basic pillars of the faculty are Education, Science and research, and Foreign relations.
The Faculty of Medicine of Charles University in Hradec Králové provides education for future holders of bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees in the medical sciences. Education is provided by educators – experts in their respective fields and competent scientists.
The Faculty of Pharmacy, with its seat in the town of Hradec Králové, was established by a government decree in 1969. This Faculty of Pharmacy has continued in the old and long-time tradition of the education of pharmacy at Charles University.
Pharmacy is a medical branch, which is focused on the research, production, control, supply, and dispensing of medicines and drugs. It also deals with information about drugs and pharmaceutical functions, organizations, with the management of pharmaceutical functions within the health service system (social pharmacy), and with the historical development of the branch.
The Faculty of Arts at Charles University is currently one of the largest and most important research and educational institutions in the arts and humanities in Central Europe. The Faculty was founded in 1348 by the Czech king and later Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV who established it as one of the four faculties of the Prague university, later named after him Charles University – the oldest university in Central Europe east of France and north of the Alps. Ever since, it has been the intellectual centre of the Czech lands: alumni of the Faculty, their deeds and ideas, have been shaping the Czech society and culture and at the crucial moments of Czech history, the Faculty of Arts has always been at the very heart of the events.
With close to 1,000 staff members, over 9,000 students and a growing international student population of almost 1,000 students from all over the world, the Faculty of Arts is a vibrant and diverse academic environment. Thanks to the flexible system of more than 700 possible double-subject degree combinations, the BA and MA degrees allows the students to focus on two subjects to the same extent, which increases their adaptability and provides them with more opportunities for their future career. The acceptance level is only 27%, which is a prerequisite for a more individual approach, necessary if the humanities are to be taught and studied seriously.
The Faculty of Science was established in 1920 as the fifth faculty of Charles University. It currently has 29 departments, 3 museums and a large Botanical Garden where the Study Department and some students’ facilities are located.
Nowadays the faculty is academically and organizationally divided into four sections: biological, geographical, geological and chemical. In addition to these sections the faculty has several specialists teaching and research centres, including interdisciplinary institutions such as the Institute for Environmental Studies. All parts of the faculty are active in both teaching and research.
The main mission of the Faculty of Science is to create highly qualified experts in biology, chemistry, geography, geology and in other interdisciplinary fields. Its scientific and research effort aims to solve key problems concerned with the development of human society. Some of the priority long-term subjects are human health, the study of the function and prediction of the development of ecosystems and the biosphere, and the development of environmentally-friendly materials based on the utilization of renewable resources.
What do we offer?
High-quality affordable three-year bachelor’s and two-year master’s programs taught in English, at one of the oldest and most highly regarded universities in Europe, in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, capital of a modern and technologically advanced country. The programs have been offered to Czech students for years with great success. Now they are open to international students, too.
Whom are we looking for?
Motivated, diligent and gifted young people from all over the world who dare to think and have an interest in computer science and mathematics.
The Faculty of Education is one of seventeen faculties associated under the umbrella of the Charles University in Prague. Its primary goal is to train teachers and other pedagogical personnel for all types of schools and school systems, at various levels of study (Bachelors and Masters) and forms. While five other faculties within the Charles University are also officially qualified to train teachers, what makes the Faculty of Education unique is the span and complexity of its educational focus. The Faculty provides university-level pre- and in-service teacher education in the following fields: Humanities, Social Sciences, Art Education, Physical Education, Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
The Faculty is currently training approximately 4200 students in both BA and MA study programmes, plus nearly 10000 students taught within a wide range of combined forms of study programmes, mainly as a part of professional teacher development.
The Faculty is also opened to tuition-paying foreign students who can enrol to programmes taught in English. The Faculty participates in the international Erasmus Mundus programme aimed at facilitating student and teacher mobility.
FSV UK is the second newest faculty of Charles University in Prague. Shortly after its creation in 1990 the Faculty became a regional centre of teaching and research in:
- Political Science
- International Relations
- Area Studies
- Media Studies
Our mission is the promotion of learning and the protection of knowledge, the cultivation of free thought, independent academic research and the support of the creative spirit of human society. The Faculty´s main objective is to develop teaching and research in those aspects of the social sciences which directly or indirectly relate to the public administration or to the economic and cultural life of society.
Currently the Faculty has around 4000 full-time students. Approximately 200 of them are enrolled in one of our English language degree programmes. FSV UK has one of the highest international mobility participation rates of all the faculties of Charles University. Each year it welcomes around 500 exchange students from all over the world.
Faculty of Physical Education and Sport is one of the seventeen faculties based on the venerableCharlesUniversity.
Czech higher physical education dates back to the period before World War I. At the beginning, there were various educational courses at the Faculty of Medicine. Efforts of progressive scientists and pedagogues such as prof. Smotlacha, Borovanský, Jirásek and Weigner led to the Bill of establishing “Tyrš’s State Institute of Physical Education” in 1930. This idea was implemented after the War by forming “Institute for Education of Physical Education at Charles University”.
In 1948 the Institute was incorporated in the Faculty of Education, out of which, independent Higher School of Education was formed in 1953. A new higher school – “InstituteofPhysical Educationand Sport” was founded in 1953 together with “Research Institute of Physical Education”. Both institutions provided education for pedagogical, scientific and managing workers who wanted to pursue their career in the area of physical education and sport science. Within reorganization of higher schools, which took place in 1958, three departments of Higher School of Education were joined to theInstituteofPhysical Educationand Sport. The new formation was joined to CharlesUniversityas one of its faculties.
The Faculty of Humanities (FHS) is Charles University’s youngest faculty. Originally founded in the early 1990s as the Institute for Liberal Education, it was elevated to the rank of a faculty in 2000, the vision being that it would offer study programmes at the Bachelor, Master’s and PhD levels in various humanities and social science disciplines not yet established at CU. The FHS quickly gained a reputation as a progressive school with innovative study programmes and teaching methods.
The mission of the Faculty of Humanities is through high-quality education to endow students with the ability to lead a fulfilling life in this increasingly complex and changing world.
This school offers programs in: