The graduate can use methods of analysis of media production, media products and content, of public and users. He or she is an expert on the historical and contemporary development of the media and its position within the changing social, political and cultural context and is able to synthesize the knowledge generated in various social sciences and humanities and interpret contemporary trends in the development of the media and media communication.
Profile of the graduate
The graduate can use methods of analysis of media production, media products and content, of public and users. He or she is an expert on the historical and contemporary development of the media and its position within the changing social, political and cultural context and is able to synthesize the knowledge generated in various social sciences and humanities and interpret contemporary trends in the development of the media and media communication. The graduates are competent to lecture and research in the filed of media studies at universities and institutions of higher education in the Czech Republic and abroad, to work as media analysts. They can work as media scientists in institutes of Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic and in any other research institutes. They can work as analysts of political communication as well.
55000 CZK (2000 EUR)/year
This number was calculated by automatic currency conversion using exchange rate for EUR: 27.055
Currently, there is a consensus that a comprehensive understanding of the planet’s natural system does not suffice. It is necessary to understand the complex interactions between the socio-economic system and the vital planetary systems providing societies with ecosystems and natural services. The Environmental Studies doctoral study program contributes to the development of the environmental approaches characteristic of their interdisciplinary nature.
The goal of the Environmental Studies doctoral program is the advancement of knowledge which should contribute to the creation of a theoretical base for the strategy of making economic, social and cultural development sustainable, especially from an environmental perspective.
The following scientific directions have been defined for the study program:
- Socio-economic metabolism.
- Natural services.
- Relationships between health and environment.
- Application of sociological approaches aimed at addressing environmental issues and sustainable development.
- Research topics applying environmental economics.
- Socially urgent issues of public policy of sustainable development.
- Legal aspects of relationships towards the environment.
- Environmentally inspired topics from the perspective of philosophy, anthropology and history. - Indicators of the relationship between the environment and human activities.
- Education for sustainable development.
Students can come up with their own ideas for topics for doctoral training or may use topics provided by supervisors. The list of offered topics for doctoral theses is available on the web page www.czp.cuni.cz (Teaching - Studies - Env. Studies Doctoral Programme).
The objective of the doctoral program Environmental Studies is to provide, in the above mentioned domains, the concept of sustainable development with support in the form of scientifically conducted research. An important aspect of the program is the interdisciplinary character of the defined research domains and the synergies among them. Although it is not the main goal of the study, we assume that the research outputs could be an important source of scientifically validated information for objective, relevant and qualified decision-making on environmental aspects of the economic and social development of the Czech Republic.
Description of the entrance examination and evaluation criteria
Entrance examination includes:
- Debate on the proposed topic for thesis. The project must contain the proposal of a tutor (name), selected from the list of tutors approved by the Program Council (dissertation project - max. 12 points).
- Examination of the knowledge of necessary basics in the natural sciences needed for the study of the environment and examination of knowledge in the social sciences, including economics (max. 4 points).
- Examination on English language proficiency (max. 4 points).
At the admission exam the applicants will present their proposals for doctoral training, focusing mainly on a) the current state of knowledge on the subject, b) the formulation of the research question/s or hypotheses, c) research methods, d) research timetable , e) possibilities of publication. The proposal may be further refined/elaborated in comparison with the version included within the submitted application, preferably in cooperation with the prospective supervisor who confirms his/her consent with the training of the applicant by signing the document available for downloading (Teaching - Studies - Env. Studies Doctoral Programme - Admission Procedure).
Conditions for admission
Admission conditions includes:
1. To enter the admission process, a completed application for doctoral studies must be submitted by 30.4.2016 at latest, including the following attachments:
- A brief professional biography,
- Proof of completion of university studies in a master’s degree program,
- Proposal of a topic for doctoral training (description of the thesis topic, a list of most relevant sources, research timetable ). It is supposed, that the student will discuss the theme of the disertation beforehand so that the theme will conform to the research program of the training institution;
- Confirmation of the prospective supervisor (see below)
- Other documents worthy of attention (e.g. overview of applicant’s publications to date, proof of scientific practice at home or abroad, proof of English language exam, etc.)
- Documents certifying a completed higher-education studies at the masters level (applicants who complete their masters studies after the application deadline have to document the completion of their studies by 30.9.2016 at the latest)
2. Graduation from a master’s degree program;
3. Defence of the project of applicant's thesis (submitted as a part of the study application)
4. To gain the minimal sum of points specified by the dean. An applicant who will be awarded less than 10 points will not be admitted.;
5. English language proficiency.
Informations on the exercise of graduates
Graduates of the program know the principles and methods of scientific work. Thanks to being trained in the research methodology of at least two subjects, they are capable of relatively greater insight into interdisciplinary-based problems and they are better equipped to resolve them, which we consider an important added value of the Environmental Studies program.
The range of expertise of the Environmental Studies doctoral program graduates is determined by the interdisciplinary nature of the studies, which focuses on environmental issues and issues regarding the dynamics of the relationships between the society and natural systems. The basis for the graduates is the specialization they obtained in their undergraduate degrees of studies. This specialization is developed within the doctoral studies in such a way that the graduates eventually:
acquire in-depth knowledge of the theoretical bases of the scientific areas, they are applying while writing their doctoral theses,
know the broad context of the environmental issues their dissertation is focusing on,
develop a deep understanding of the methodology of all scientific areas they are applying while working on their dissertations. This knowledge is considered an essential prerequisite for interdisciplinary dialogue and research.
Moreover, graduates are able to take the position of scientists in institutions fully focused on research and development in the broad area of subjects related to the environment and sustainable development, e.g. at various institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences. Examples of possible research areas include environmental economics, environmental sociology, the research and use of sustainability indicators etc. Furthermore, graduates can seek jobs in research institutions abroad.
An extremely important outcome is the ability of graduates to hold decision-making positions in public administration, the business sphere and NGOs, where the work has impact on the environment. As for the public sector, this includes positions in central administrative bodies, especially ministries and their advisory expert or executive offices; positions in public administration at the regional or lower level. Jobs can also be possibly found in administrative bodies of the European Commission, the United Nations, the OECD and other multilateral international organizations.
In the business sector graduates can find employment in companies, whose business has a direct impact on the environment. They can also find opportunities in companies and organizations providing expert services directly focused on the environment, such as land planning, planning for Territorial System of Ecological Stability, EIA, SEA, as well as more recently the Sustainability Impact Assessment.
If interested, graduates will be able to take a job in the media, where they will be able to competently assess and present information on sustainable development and the environment.