This PhD program was born within the Campus of International Excellence Campus as the aspiration of the three Galician universities and those of the north of Portugal (Aveiro, Minho, Tras os Montes e Alto Douro), the CSIC and the IEO, Create a postgraduate offer with global vision and multi-year planning, international and cross-border, that attracts students of different nationalities who consider the clustering of institutions created around the Campus do Mar as the preferred destination for training at the doctorate level.
Why study the degree
The objective of the Doctorate program is to train the best professionals and researchers in the field of Science, Technology and Sea Management in their different economic and social applications, to generate research of quality and international impact and to provide industry with the best Tools to improve their competitiveness on a global scale.
What is learned
DO * MAR includes research lines that cover the four research clusters (and 12 areas of specialization) of CEI Campus do Mar:
- Cluster of R & D Ocean Observation and Global Change . Areas of Expertise: Ocean Observations; Global Change.
- Cluster of R & D Sustainable Use of Marine Resources . Areas of expertise: Resource Management and Use; Aquaculture; Transformation and Valorization.
- Cluster of R & D Integral Management of the Sea . Areas of specialization: Environmental Analysis and Assessment of the Coastal Zone; Coastal Planning; Coastal Protection and Maritime Safety: Engineering and Regulation.
- Cluster of R & D Technological Progress, Engineering and Business Management . Areas of expertise: Naval Technology and Systems; Port Infrastructures, Maritime Management and Transportation; Management, Law and Competitiveness; Energy.
This breadth of supply makes DO * MAR include several hundred researchers willing to supervise doctoral theses in Science, Technology and Management of the marine environment.
Lines of investigation
These are the lines of research of this doctoral program:
- Integral management of the sea
- Ocean observation and global change
- Technological Progress, Engineering and Business Management
- Sustainable use of resources
Specific Training Complements
In case the doctor does not have the complete previous training required in the program, his / her admission to the program may be conditioned to the surpassing of specific training complements, which may be subjects or modules of master and degree. The complements assigned to the same doctorate may not exceed 15 ECTS credits and may be made prior or simultaneous to the tuition in academic tuition in the program.
In case of simultaneous realization the students will have to register for these complements at the moment of formalizing the tuition of academic tutelage in the program, which must be surpassed in the maximum term of three consecutive quarters. Failure to do so will result in student disqualification from the program.
- Ocean physics and global change
- Atmosphere-ocean interaction
- Global change, marine resources and biodiversity
- Evaluation and management of fishery and seafood resources
- Use and evaluation of by-products of marine origin
- New products of the sea
- Seminar in scientific writing
- Monitoring and diagnosis of the marine environment
- Geographic information systems. Fundamentals and Analysis
- Oceans of crime: causes and consequences of the new forms of sea piracy
- Comic technologies. Data analysis NGS, RNA-seq and ClhP-seq
Formative Activities of the Program
DO * MAR includes training activities in the form of multidisciplinary courses and flexible seminars so that each student, supervised by its directors or directors, can choose the courses to be carried out of the entire training program of the Doctorate Program.
The training offer is structured in three types of courses of which the student must surpass a minimum of 8 ECTS of advanced training courses and a minimum of 14 ECTS of the set of advanced training courses + transversal training courses.
Professional and academic outputs
DO * MAR is a specialist in all fields of Science, Technology and Management of the Sea, from marine biology to naval engineering, through the fishing economy.
Students will be able to come from different degrees compatible with the objectives and ambits of the Program, clearly focused on the marine environment, which in any case is the guide for the student that accesses this Program.
Especially recommended are the Bachelor's or Degrees in Marine Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, and Environmental Sciences. Also Graduates in Economics, Business Administration and Management, Law, Sociology, Political Science and degrees from Humanities and Health Sciences.
Likewise Titles related to Food Technologies, Naval Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Civil Engineering, Telecommunications and Nautical.
Other qualifications may be considered appropriate in the opinion of the Academic Commission, especially those of similar contents that receive different denominations in other countries. Previous studies are also recommended in official masters oriented to the same profiles. A good knowledge of English is also recommended, at the level that is explicit in the specific requirements of the Program.
This school offers programs in: