The Ph.D. in Computer Engineering prepares aspiring scholars and researchers to explore key areas within the computer engineering field, including computer architecture, integrated circuit design, photonic computing, high-performance computing, and network computing.
Students can expect to work closely with a faculty advisor in their chosen research area to create a curriculum plan and guidance for the doctoral dissertation. Students may also be expected to teach introductory-level courses to undergraduates, present conference papers, and work with faculty on research grant applications.
Faculty Advisor & Research Focus
We strongly recommended that prospective doctoral students determine a faculty member in the department with whom they would like to work and a research area of interest.
Ph.D. Admissions Requirements
All applicants to a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program at the School of Engineering & Applied Science must meet the admissions requirements for entry.
Applicants must provide the following materials to be considered for any graduate program at SEAS:
- Complete online application form
- GRE exam scores
- International applicants: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Application Fee
English Language Exam Requirements
- All visa-seeking international applicants are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores to SEAS to be considered for admission.
- Please provide only your most recent test scores. Scores may not be more than two years old.
Minimum Score Requirements
- 6.0 overall with no individual score below 5.0.
- Applicants to the graduate programs in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering or Data Analytics are required to have a minimum score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0.
- Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have an overall band score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0.
- 80 on the Internet exam (iBT) or 550 on the paper exam
- Applicants to the graduate programs in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering or Data Analytics are required to have a minimum score of 100 on the Internet exam.
- Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have a 600 on the paper-based exam or 100 on the Internet-based exam.
- 53. Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have a minimum score of 68.
Exceptions are granted to applicants who:
Hold a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from an institution in which English is the language of instruction AND the official language of the country in which the university is located
Hold a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from an institution located in a country that qualifies for the English language exam exemption.