The doctoral degree in Computer Science is based on coursework as well as research that leads to a dissertation. It is recommended that students interested in the doctoral degree contact the faculty whose interests best fit his/her interest.
Areas of research focus center around these topics: computer security and information assurance, software engineering and systems, bioinformatics and biomedical computing, networking and mobile computing, pervasive computing and embedded systems, machine intelligence, robotics, and algorithms and theory.
Ph.D. Admissions Requirements
All applicants to a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program at the School of Engineering & Applied Science must meet the admissions requirements for entry.
Applicants must provide the following materials to be considered for any graduate program at SEAS:
- Complete online application form
- GRE exam scores
- International applicants: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Application Fee
English Language Exam Requirements
- All visa-seeking international applicants are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores to SEAS to be considered for admission.
- Please provide only your most recent test scores. Scores may not be more than two years old.
Minimum Score Requirements
- 6.0 overall with no individual score below 5.0.
- Applicants to the graduate programs in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering, or Data Analytics are required to have a minimum score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0.
- Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have an overall band score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0.
- 80 on the Internet exam (iBT) or 550 on the paper exam
- Applicants to the graduate programs in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering, or Data Analytics are required to have a minimum score of 100 on the Internet exam.
- Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have a 600 on the paper-based exam or 100 on the Internet-based exam.
- 53. Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have a minimum score of 68.
Exceptions are granted to applicants who:
- Hold a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from an institution in which English is the language of instruction AND the official language of the country in which the university is located.
- Hold a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from an institution located in a country that qualifies for the English language exam exemption.
About the School
There are plenty of good engineering schools in the U.S.; but how far can good take you when your goal is to engineer better? At the George Washington University's School of Engineering and Applied Sc ... Read More