The Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology degree is a research higher degree. This research postgraduate program equips graduates with advanced knowledge of research methods and the skills to independently conduct research in many areas of behavioral science. Students conduct original research that extends the frontiers of knowledge in a specialized area of Psychology. As a result of acquiring the abilities needed to undertake independent research, graduates will also develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills which can be applied in their future learning and work environments.
The core domains of Psychology are Biological Psychology (which includes the areas of hormones and behavior, brain function, and genetics), Cognitive Psychology (which includes the areas of attention, perception, learning, and language), Developmental Psychology (which includes the areas of lifespan development, and the social and cultural contexts of development), Individual Differences (which includes the areas of personality, intelligence, motivation, and mental health), Social Psychology (which includes the areas of attribution, attitudes, group processes, and intergroup relations, and close relationships), and Research Methods (which includes the techniques for the systematic collection, analysis, and interpretation of data to answer a certain question or solve a problem).
Completion of the program allows students to become experts who are able to facilitate and contribute to the advancement of Psychology. This is a required qualification for people who wish to go onto a career as an academic or independent researcher in Psychology.
January, March, June & September
- 3 Years (full-time)
- 4 Years (part-time)
- Research consultant
- Technical consultant
- Technical author
- Senior analyst
Prior to starting their thesis students complete two taught modules: Advanced Research Design and Advanced Statistics. These modules help students develop the necessary skills to complete their research proposals. In consultation with their research supervisors, students identify a research problem based on findings from existing research. They then design and conduct research on the identified problem or issue using a range of scientific techniques while following the required ethical standards. They, therefore, make a unique contribution to understanding the issue under consideration or develop new solutions to address the identified problem.
Areas of Research
- Biological Psychology - includes the areas of hormones and behavior, brain function, and genetics
- Cognitive Psychology - includes the areas of attention, perception, learning, and language
- Developmental Psychology - includes the areas of lifespan development and the social and cultural contexts of development
- Individual Differences - includes the areas of personality, intelligence, motivation, and mental health
- Social Psychology - includes the areas of attribution, attitudes, group processes, and intergroup relations, and close relationships
- Applied Psychology - includes the areas of clinical and health psychology, education or school psychology, and industrial and organizational psychology.
- Bachelor’s Degree: A Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology or equivalent with a CGPA of 3.00 AND
- Master’s Degree: A Master’s degree in Psychology
- Other Qualifications: Any other qualifications will be considered on a case-to-case basis*
*For case-to-case basis an interview may be required
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based), 95 (Internet-based)
- PTE Academic: 65
- MUET Band: 5
- Cambridge English: Advanced/CEFR185 (Grade A)/C1
- Cambridge English: Advanced/CEFR185 (Grade C)/C1
- SPM English 1119: 2A
Note: Any other qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Initial inquiries should be made to the Programme Coordinator (email:email@example.com). If the potential student is eligible for the Ph.D. they will then meet with the Program Leader to discuss their area of research interest and potential research supervisors.
Details on the specific documents required to complete the application will be provided once the student has been assigned a research supervisor and agreement has been reached on the research topic.
About the School
For almost 32 years Sunway University has established a reputation both in Malaysia and overseas, as an inspiring educational leader. Perfectly harnessing the highest quality of academic personnel and ... Read More