This application for a Ph.D. in Science* program was submitted to the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the Ministry of Education, the United Arab Emirates in November 2019. The review visit will take place in April 2020 so that the following information is subject to modification to incorporate any requirements for accreditation.
The proposed Ph.D. in Science program contributes to Khalifa University’s intention to become a center of excellence in science, engineering, and medicine within the region and beyond. This is aligned with the UAE’s strategic plans, which aim to shift the reliance on the oil-based economy to a knowledge-based one by attracting investments and industries with science, engineering, and health sciences being some of its major pillars for sustained development and job creation.
The following pathways of the Ph.D. in Science program will be available:
- Ph.D. in Science (Multidisciplinary)
- Ph.D. in Science with a concentration in Chemistry
- Ph.D. in Science with a concentration in Earth Sciences
- Ph.D. in Science with a concentration in Mathematics
- Ph.D. in Science with a concentration in Physics
*Pending CAA/UAE Ministry of Education accreditation
The aim of the Ph.D. in Science program is to produce graduates with advanced knowledge and who are able to conduct research independently at the highest level of originality and quality. In particular, graduates will be able to:
- Synthesize and critically evaluate scientific and technical knowledge to identify, formulate and solve research challenges, and effectively disseminate the results to a variety of audiences;
- Work to the highest standards in a single area and/or across multiple disciplines and develop their individual academic, professional and career skills; and
- Keep abreast of the latest advances in science that contribute to the advancement of knowledge for the benefit of society.
Student learning outcomes
Upon successful completion of the Ph.D. in Science program, a graduate will be able to
- Demonstrate appropriate breadth, depth, and critical appreciation of knowledge that is at the frontier of their discipline(s) and areas of specialization.
- Conduct and defend original independent research that results in significant contributions to knowledge in the field and leads to scholarly articles or appropriate intellectual outputs.
- Understand and value diverse methodologies and techniques, as well as their limitations, for solving critical problems in research.
- Verify, justify, and evaluate the various aspects of solutions to a complex scientific problem.
- Communicate effectively and professionally, in written and oral forms as appropriate, the major tenets of their field, and their work to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrate a commitment to responsible and ethical behavior in research and professional activities.
- Manage themselves and others effectively in a multidisciplinary collaborative environment.
The structure of the program is summarized as:
|Program Component||Credit Hours|
|SCIE701 Research Methods for Science||3|
|Program Technical Electives (7 ´ 3 hrs)||21|
|Ph.D. Research Seminars||0|
|SCIE799 Ph.D. Research Thesis||36|
- Completion of a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline with a minimum CGPA of 3.25 out of 4.0, or equivalent (e.g. upper second-class honors in UK-style Master by taught courses with a minimum average of 63% or a Pass in a Master by Research/MPhil) from a reputable accredited institution.
- A minimum level of English proficiency in the form of either:
- iBT TOEFL (internet-based test) score of 91 or equivalent, or
- overall academic IELTS score of 6.5, or
- 1550 EmSAT English score.
- A minimum quantitative score of 150 in the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for admission to all Doctorate programs. Applicants for all programs should attempt all three sections of the GRE.
- A minimum of two referee recommendations (provided via online form).
- Statement of purpose (500-1,000 words).
- Research statement (500-1,000 words).
- Admission interview.
About the School
The internationally top-ranked Khalifa University is the one university in the UAE with the research and academic programs that address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challen ... Read More