The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) must be significant original research. During the course of the degree, the candidate will further develop their specialist knowledge and have a deep methodological capacity. Depending on the field of specialization, the degree culminates in an 80,000-word thesis. A Doctor of Philosophy is an internationally recognized research degree and is a pathway to an academic or research career.
Each faculty offers a Doctor of Philosophy degree.
BOND BUSINESS SCHOOL
Applicants require a minimum first or upper second class undergraduate Honours degree (equal to at least a grade point average of 80%), Masters (Honours) degree, Masters by Research degree, and/or corresponding demonstration of research capacity.
Masters coursework degrees do not normally satisfy academic requirements for direct entry into the doctoral program, however, a suitably completed thesis component may be considered. Doctoral students shall be admitted as full-time only and are expected to study on-campus throughout their candidature.
The Doctor of Philosophy develops independent research skills and the ability to relate a specific research topic to a broad framework of knowledge. The program places a major emphasis on independent inquiry, a thorough understanding of domain-specific knowledge, competence in research methodologies and the ability to communicate research results.
Doctoral candidates may be required to successfully complete three research methodology subjects, including qualitative and quantitative analysis, in the first year of candidature. A confirmation of candidature process occurs at the end of the first year of enrolment to evaluate progress and suitability to continue in the degree.
The dissertation should be a major, substantially original, theoretical or empirical study of an issue pertaining to the student’s major field of study. The Bond Business School expects students to work closely with staff and be exposed to the research activities of the staff and other students. It would not be uncommon for the student and the supervisor to be co-authors in publications resulting from the student’s dissertation.
Each student will be supervised by at least two appropriately qualified academic staff. The Bond Business School is responsible for approving the student’s dissertation proposal prior to the examination process.
The Doctor of Philosophy will provide you with the research skills for academic careers in the university sector or for roles in research-intensive organizations.
FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES & MEDICINE
The minimum requirements for this program is a University Bachelors Degree with Honours (First Class or 2A) or a research Masters Degree in a relevant discipline, with evidence of the ability to conduct supervised research; or a qualification or combination of qualifications deemed to be equivalent by the Faculty Research Committee.
The Doctor of Philosophy available in the Faculty of Health Sciences and Medicine is a program of significant original research. During the course of the degree, the candidate will further develop their specialist knowledge in the field and become highly skilled with deep methodological capacity. Depending on the field of specialization, the degree culminates in a final written thesis. The Doctor of Philosophy is an internationally recognized research degree and is a pathway to an academic or research career.
The Doctor of Philosophy allows you to undertake supervised research studies in one or more of the Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine’s research areas and groups.
Potential areas of research opportunity include:
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Nutrition & Dietetics
- Health Professions Education
- Indigenous Health
- Medical Ethics
- Medical Research
- Public Health
- Sports and Exercise Science
- Sports Management
- Stem Cells
Bond University research students have access to the specialist expertise of our internationally published academics as well as state-of-the-art facilities.
INFORMATION FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS
Before seeking to apply, prospective PhD students must seek contact with a potential supervisor. Applications will only be considered for enrolment where a supervisor is available. The proposed research must fit within the Faculty’s strategic research plan and within an area of Faculty expertise. Once a potential supervisor has been sourced, the following information is required in order for applications to be assessed:
- A detailed thesis proposal.
- University academic transcripts for all studies to date (undergraduate and postgraduate). If not already in English, these documents must be translated and certified by the translating body.
- University grading scale if applicable – the grading scale may be found on the reverse of the university academic transcript.
- A Certificate of Completion (Degree/Diploma) is required if the transcript does not indicate that the degree has been awarded/conferred. Both certified translated and untranslated copies of both transcripts and Certificate of Completion should be provided.
- A resume detailing previous work and study history.
- Two written references which should cover the candidate’s abilities, key personal attributes, and capabilities (a minimum of one external reference excluding Bond University will be required).
- International students previously instructed in a language other than English are required to provide certified translated and untranslated copies of both transcripts and Certificate of Completion.
- Applicants whose previous study was not completed in one of the countries listed where English is considered a first language, must provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language.
- A budget proposal for all research supplies. A budget template is available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
The Doctor of Philosophy provides you with research expertise as well as transferable skills that will prepare you for both academic and executive careers in academia, research and industry.
Graduates at this level will have the expert, specialized cognitive, technical and research skills in a discipline area to independently and systematically generate original knowledge and understanding to make a substantial contribution to a discipline or area of professional practice.
FACULTY OF LAW
Applicants must have a Master of Laws degree or a Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor degree with an Honours average of at least 75 percent or an equivalent grade elsewhere.
Admission is on the basis of an approved research proposal and availability of appropriate supervision. In addition to the above requirements, candidates for the PhD degree must satisfy the Dean that they have the academic, research and writing abilities to produce a major thesis that represents a substantial contribution to the exposition, knowledge or understanding of the field of study concerned.
The Doctor of Philosophy program is a research higher degree awarded for a substantial thesis, or for published papers, that is a significant contribution to the knowledge or understanding of an aspect of the law. The PhD will display the capacity of the student to carry out independent research at the appropriate level. PhD candidates are required to submit for external examination a written research thesis of between 70,000 and 100,000 words.
FACULTY OF SOCIETY & DESIGN
The minimum requirement for admission is:
- A four year (eight semesters) honors degree – First Class or 2A; or
- A research master’s degree; or
- A qualification or combination of qualifications deemed to be equivalent to the above by the Higher Degrees by Research Committee
Candidates who have completed more than nine months of a master’s studies by research and who meet the requirements for admission to PhD candidature may apply to be admitted to confirmed PhD candidature. In successful cases, the PhD candidature will be considered to have begun at the time of commencement of the research master’s degree.
Prospective candidates for whom English is not the first language must be able to demonstrate proficiency in English as specified by the University’s English language requirements.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 13, 2018