Integration of the PD in the strategy of research and doctoral training of universities: All universities include in their Statutes and in their strategic plans the desire to promote research, both basic and applied, through specific research programs. Therefore, the training of researchers and the transfer of knowledge are the foundation of their teaching and the means for the scientific, technical and cultural development of society. All of them promote cooperation with other universities and scientific and cultural institutions, as well as participation in public research plans.
Thus, in the document entitled "Strategy in research and doctoral training", approved in the Governing Council of February 29, 2012 - according to the Regional Strategy for Scientific Research, Technological Development and Innovation (ERIDI) 2007 # 2013- se points out that it is the fundamental mission of the University of Salamanca to promote and coordinate research. Therefore, the training of researchers and the transfer of knowledge are the foundation of their teaching and the means for the scientific, technical and cultural development of society.
The Universitat de València in its Strategic Plan 2012-2015, approved by the Governing Council on July 30, 2012, is committed to capturing and developing talent and increasing research productivity and resources for research. The University of Santiago de Compostela, in its Strategic Plan, is committed to "Conforming a specialized and competitive postgraduate offer regarding the university, national and international environment, increasing the social prestige of postgraduate studies."
The Doctorate in Logic and Philosophy of Science is an interuniversity program of the University of Salamanca and the universities of A Coruña, La Laguna, Granada, Santiago de Compostela, Valladolid, and the Institute of Philosophy of the Higher Council of Scientific Research (CSIC) .
One of its great virtues is the team of more than 50 high-level researchers that integrate it, very prominent and also very dedicated to this exciting inter-university project.
Its main objective is to train highly qualified researchers in logic and argumentation, philosophy of science, philosophy of language and social studies of science and technology, capable of responding to the growing social demands in this field. That is, to train doctors in the different fields of the area of logic and philosophy of science and social studies of science and technology that are capable of responding to the growing social demand for information on scientific-technological systems, their management and its impact within the different social, economic and political spheres. The program also extends to the analysis of the relationship between language and world, cognitive models and their applications to artificial intelligence, as well as problems related to communication, speech acts and pragmatics, meaning, intentionality and theories of mental representation, information technologies, artificial intelligence, semantic web, computability, etc.
Integration of the PD in a network or in a Doctoral School:
In the different participating universities there are doctoral schools already created or in phase of creation in which the doctorate program will be integrated. Thus, for example, the Official Doctoral Program in Logic and Philosophy of Science at USAL would be integrated into the Doctoral School "Studii Salamantini", created on November 30, 2011 by the Governing Council of the University of Salamanca. In that document the Doctoral School "Studii Salamantini" is defined as the unit created by the University of Salamanca to organize and coordinate the activities of all Doctorate Programs leading to the acquisition of the skills and abilities necessary to obtain the title of Doctor of the University of Salamanca.
Previous experiences of the universities of PD of similar characteristics and if the proposal comes from the conversion of a PhD with Quality Mention or if it has or not the mention towards the Excellence:
The reason that supports the expectations of the PD refers to the situation of the area of knowledge of Logic and Philosophy of Science from which the Doctorate proposes: a tradition of recognized excellence in the Spanish university, with clear international reflections.
a) The universities that propose the PD accumulate as a whole the integrity of the thematic areas that constitute the area of Logic and Philosophy of Science, together with its essential and particular perspectives.
b) The inter-thematic and methodically systematized treatment of the axes of this set is essential for basic training. And this task must recognize in the proponents universities the reference forced to a specialized formation of theoretical and practical character. From this perspective, the potential student base of the proposed PhD program far exceeds the demands generated by a single university (graduates in the branch of Arts and Humanities and other bachelor's degrees from other universities, postgraduate students who have made either one of the masters that allows direct access to it, or another master that provides adequate training).
The proposed PD assumes the natural transformation of previously implemented studies, namely the PhD Program in Logic and Philosophy of Science, an official program that was approved by both the Ministry of Education and Science and by the different autonomous communities with the participation of the Universities of Salamanca, Valladolid, Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, La Laguna and Autónoma de Madrid, and the Institute of Philosophy of the CSIC. This program was governed by Royal Decree RD1393 / 2007, of October 29, and was verified, in accordance with the resolution of October 8, 2009, of the General Secretariat of the University Coordination Council of the Ministry of Education. Also, the Doctorate Program has been distinguished with the Quality Mention (2008-09 to 2011-12).
In addition to this program also incorporates the Program of Social Studies of science and technology attached to the University Institute of Studies of Science and Technology attached to the University Institute of Studies of Science and Technology of USAL.
Convenience of implementation:
a) The professional practice of graduates and graduates in general, will be increasingly needed by experts, researchers and professionals who have devoted time and methodically organized work to the study and deepening of aspects and problems of philosophical involvement in the areas referred to . Ultimately this kind of methodical and reflective work provides instruments of understanding to the situation that frames and molds the different professional spheres in our complex, plural and labyrinthine society.
b) The program will allow to train doctors in the different areas of the area of logic and philosophy of science. The desirability of having trained doctors in these issues is that this training contributes to the development of a highly trained society that will have highly qualified professionals to formulate, analyze, reason and solve complex problems in a sophisticated way.
In addition, these professionals will be highly qualified to:
- The resolution of conflicts through rational discussion, for mediation and cultural criticism.
- Respond to the growing social demand for information about the functioning and structure of scientific-technological systems, their management and their impact within the different social, economic and political spheres.
- The analysis of the relationship between language and the world, cognitive models and their applications to artificial intelligence as well as problems related to communication, speech acts and pragmatics, meaning, intentionality, and theories of mental representation .
- The management of the various information technologies and their formal problems of development: Artificial Intelligence, semantic web, computability, etc. Likewise, as for the development of classical and non-classical Logics, its history and its philosophy.
c) The doctoral program also responds to the need of different universities to complete their offer by offering students who have completed a master's degree, doctoral training conducive to obtaining a doctor's degree. In addition, the interuniversity character of the program guarantees that the offer is made within a program with sufficient entity and critical mass.
Students with full-time and part-time dedication:
The exclusive dedication is the one normally foreseen for the students of this program of doctorate. However, given the type of students who can enroll, the possibility of having students opting for part-time dedication is left open. Due to the experience of previous doctoral programs (students who are working as secondary school teachers or in other jobs), it is planned to reserve 6 places for part-time students.
- CB11 - Systematic understanding of a field of study and mastery of skills and research methods related to the field.
- CB12 - Ability to conceive, design or create, implement and adopt a substantial process of research or creation.
- CB13 - Ability to contribute to expanding the frontiers of knowledge through original research.
- CB14 - Ability to perform critical analysis and evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas.
- CB15 - Ability to communicate with the academic and scientific community and society in general about their areas of expertise in the ways and languages commonly used in the international scientific community.
- CB16 - Ability to promote, within academic and professional contexts, scientific, technological, social, artistic or cultural advancement in a knowledge-based society.
Personal skills and skills
- CA01 - Navigating our contexts in which there is little specific information.
- CA02 - Find the key questions that must be answered to solve a complex problem.
- CA03 - To design, create, develop and launch new and innovative projects in its field of knowledge.
- CA04 - Work in both equipment and autonomously in an international or multidisciplinary context.
- CA05 - Integrate knowledge, handle complexity, and formulate judgments with limited information.
- CA06 - Criticism and defense of intellectual solutions.
- CM1 - Ability to acquire advanced knowledge in the fields of argumentation and logic, philosophy of language, philosophy of science and technology.
- CM2 - Ability to design a research project with which to analyze and critically evaluate previous contributions and in which they can apply their knowledge and work methodology.
- CM3 - Ability to make a synthesis of new and complex ideas that produce a deeper understanding of the research context in which they work.
- CM4- Ability to develop materials on their own research and disseminate results.
- Research Seminars
- Research results exhibition meetings
- Methodological, specialized or practical training courses
- Assistance to national or international congresses
- Scientific Publications
- Stays at other research centers
Lines of investigation
- Line 1: Argumentation and Logic
- Line 2: Philosophy of Language and of the Mind
- Line 3: Philosophy of Science
- Line 4: Social Studies of Science and Technology
Selection and Admission. Valuation criteria and body in charge:
The Academic Committee of the PD, through the delegated subcommittee, will decide on the admission of each of the applications, being able, if it deems it appropriate, to call an interview to the candidate, whose overall assessment will be a maximum of 30% of the total evaluation. The resolution will be communicated to the interested parties that from that moment and within the deadlines that each university will be able to formalize the enrollment in the PD.
The evaluation criteria of the applications will be the following:
a) Adequacy of the degree required for admission and average of the academic record in the degree (or bachelor's degree) and in the master's degree. It is understood that students who come from either the Master's Degree in Logic and Philosophy of Science or the Master's Degree in Social Studies of Science and Technology or who, having received other studies of equivalent level, have taken courses that facilitate the assimilation of the knowledge and skills offered from the DP: up to 40 points
b) Professional experience (developed inside or outside the university, in public or private centers related to education, research or management): up to 20 points
c) Accomplishments of courses, attendances to congresses, stays in other Universities, etc: up to 20 points
d) Documented mastery of English or other foreign languages: up to 20 points
Support services for students with special educational needs:
In general the universities integrated in this doctorate have support services for students. They also have programs for the integration of people with disabilities and different services in which people with different types of disability are advised and cared for.
- Universitat de València
In cases where appropriate, individualized curricular adaptations will be made to each student.
The dedication regime of the students to this PD will preferably be full time. However, some of the places offered may be occupied by students who are given a part-time commitment.
Students who wish to study this PD on a part-time basis must apply to the Academic Program Committee when they submit the application for admission to the program or, once admitted, when there is any of the circumstances and then enable them to be recognized as part-time students.
Among others, criteria for the admission of part-time students in this PD will be the following:
- Be working and documentary proof of the employment relationship.
- Be affected by a degree of physical, sensory or psychic disability that determines the need to take part-time doctoral studies. In this case, the student must document the degree of recognized disability.
- To be performing other specialized training, in the same or another University, with part-time dedication and to prove the condition of being admitted or enrolled in such studies as a part-time student.
- To be considered the main caretaker of dependents and accredit it through the presentation of supporting documentation and certification issued by the competent body for the recognition of the dependency situation.
- Have children under 3 years of age.
- Being an athlete of high level of competition.
- To perform tasks of student representation.
- Other duly justified (for example, being a victim of gender violence, terrorism, etc.).
The recognition of this condition must be ratified annually and will have effects until the conclusion of the doctoral studies with the presentation and defense of the doctoral thesis. Notwithstanding the foregoing, during the development of the PD, changes in the mode of dedication to these studies may be requested provided that the following circumstances concur:
- PhD students with part-time dedication who throughout the PD lose the circumstance for which they were admitted and recognized as such, will automatically become PD students with full-time dedication. From that moment, they will have three years until the submission of the application for the deposit of the doctoral thesis, provided that they have not spent more than two years under the status of part-time student.
- PhD students who have started doctoral studies on a full-time basis are required to apply for part-time student status and meet any of the requirements expressed above, will have from the granting of this condition until the presentation of the request for the deposit of the doctoral thesis of a maximum of time that together, with the already elapsed, does not exceed 5 years.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 9, 2017