The doctorate is the academic postgraduate program that grants the title of the highest educational degree, which accredits the training and competence for the academic and research exercise of high quality. Its objective is the training of independent researchers in the area of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. The thesis will be an original and significant contribution in your area.
- Seminar: The schedule of the subjects is variable, but most are from Monday to Friday from 4:00 to 8:00 pm
- Face-to-face modality
- Degree awarded: Doctor of Biological Sciences.
- Estimated duration: 8 semesters.
- Periodicity of admission: Semester
- Year of initiation: 1996
- SNIES: 5331
- Qualified registry resolution: Resolution 8065 of May 17, 2018, valid until September 30, 2025.
- Accreditation: Resolution 18206 of September 13, 2017. Renewal of qualified registration for 10 years, counted as of September 30, 2015.
- Registration fee: 11,230,000 / semester *
- Type of training: Postgraduate
- Place where it is offered: Bogotá
* The registration value corresponds to the cost per period fixed for the year 2019.
The doctoral program is completely individualized and is based on the research project carried out by the student under the direction of his tutor and around which all other curricular activities will be organized.
The curriculum includes the comprehensive exam, which is an exam that all students admitted to the doctoral program in Biological Sciences must present before the end of the fourth semester. The doctoral program of a student culminates with the oral support and approval of his doctoral thesis in Public Ceremony.
It is a requirement of degree, have published or have accepted for publication at least two articles in journals indexed in ISI / Scopus. The candidate for the degree must appear as the first author in at least one of the two articles.
Subjects open in the period 2017-30
- Antimicrobials and Antimicrobial Resistance Mechanisms
- Molecular biology
- Reef Ecology
- Effective evaluation of biomedical research projects
- Symbiotic Microorganisms
- Seminar 4. Population genetics
- Seminar 9. Ecology
- Complex systems
- Ecological theories
Profile of the applicant
The program is aimed at professionals in the field of biological sciences and health who want to pursue a career as independent researchers.
The program seeks to train researchers, who can work as university professors or as researchers to practice in the industry or in state entities.
Vanjatas of the graduate
- The doctorate in Biological Sciences is a program dedicated to the training of independent researchers, who may perform as university professors or as researchers in industry or government entities.
- The graduates contribute to the generation of knowledge in the areas of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, and participate in the scientific development of the country.
- The quality and diversity of the research groups that support the program foster an interdisciplinary academic environment.
Candidates can apply to the doctoral program at any time of the year. Admission is carried out by the Graduate Committee, after studying the documentation submitted by the applicant, which must include:
- Registration form duly completed.
- Payment of registration fees.
- Copy of the professional title of an institution recognized by the Ministry of Education or title of a foreign university. It is not required that the qualification that accredits him as a professional of a foreign university, be validated or approved in Colombia (In any case, this does not qualify him to practice the profession in Colombia).
- Letter from the tutor in which you present the candidate, and stipulate the dedication of time to the doctorate of the same. The letter should describe how the doctoral project will be financed, indicating:
- Name, start date and termination and the amount of money approved for ongoing funded projects that will support the candidate's thesis.
- Detailed strategy of the project or the projects to be submitted for the thesis financing, indicating the specific call (s) in which they will be presented and with the expected date of publication of the results thereof.
- Own resources available (from previous projects etc.) must be referenced in detail in the budget of the preliminary draft so that it is clear what part of the work is expected to be achieved with them.
The letter must be accompanied by the preliminary research project of the candidate in the Colciencias project summary format. The summary should include a detailed budget that includes the tables of equipment, scientific personnel, materials and supplies, technical services, total global budget and global budget per year . Although the candidate's project is part of a larger candidate project, the summary and budget presented should only include the part that the candidate will develop.
- If the candidate intends to continue working during the program, he must present a letter from his immediate superior that clarifies how much time he will have available for his doctorate. This dedication must correspond with that stipulated by the tutor in his letter.
- Curriculum vitae of the student.
- Undergraduate notes and photocopy of the title.
- If you have done a previous master's program, program notes and a photocopy of the title are required.
- Pass an interview with members of the graduate committee. The interview will be conducted after the candidate makes a 15-minute description of their research project.
Once admitted, the student may enroll to start the program in the next semester after admission. To present a student to the doctoral program, the tutor must have been qualified as a tutor by the Graduate Committee, which takes into account his resume, his experience as a tutor for undergraduate and graduate students and his career as a researcher. The tutor can be a professor of the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana or another university or Research Institute.