Our graduate program offers a PhD in philosophy in four core areas, Molecular / Cellular Biology, Neuroscience, Ecology / Systematics and Evolution / Genetics. The PhD in Philosophy is offered through the Intercampus Doctorate Program of the University of Puerto Rico, administered by us.
The Department maintains close links with the Campus of Medical Sciences of the University of Puerto Rico, the Institute of Neurobiology, the Institute of Tropical Ecosystem Studies in the UPR-RP and the Department of Environmental Studies of the UPR-RP, which considerably expands the opportunities for our graduate students
The Department has modern facilities and laboratory resources and uses traditional and non-traditional model bodies to address various issues. In addition, the enormous diversity of the ecosystems of Puerto Rico and their easy access, translate into research opportunities in the Caribbean and continental neotropics. The University of Puerto Rico at Río Piedras is a member of the Organization of Tropical Studies and students are encouraged to apply for OTS courses.
Our graduate program offers diverse opportunities for students seeking a career in biology research, a discipline with an increasingly social, economic and environmental impact in the world. Those looking for alternative careers in the industry, government agencies, non-governmental organizations, among others, will gain practical experience in research and will appreciate how science is made and how it can improve our daily lives.
In an effort to organize our course offerings, we have established several clues that allow students to acquire general and in-depth knowledge in their fields.
Specific Requirements of the Doctoral Program
- Bachelor, Master or equivalent, in Sciences, preferably in Biology from a recognized university.
- General average of 3.00 points on a 4.00 scale.
- Average in Science courses of 3.00 points on a 4.00 scale.
- Handling of the Spanish and English language, given that the courses are offered in both languages.
- Have taken at least one course in two of the following areas: (1) Genetics, (2) Developmental Biology, Cellular / Molecular Biology, and (3) Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology.
- Have taken two semesters of General Physics, General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry with their respective laboratories.
- Having taken a Calculus course.
- Research experience
Documents Required for Admission Application
- Application for Admission to Graduate Studies in electronic format.
- Three letters of recommendation for Graduate Studies in electronic or paper format.
- Three copies of transcripts of official credits with granted degree.
- Descriptions of courses to be accredited, if applicable.
- Official results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) -General Test taken within the last three years. The thematic GRE in Biology or Biochemistry / Cell / Molecular is optional.
- Other evidence of professional excellence, presentation of scientific papers in congresses and / or reprints of published articles.
- Short essay (included in the Application Form for Admission to Graduate Studies) indicating their short, medium and long term goals, their research interests, and how to advance graduate studies in our department will contribute to their development.
- Short-term, desirable research plan.
About the School
Nuestra visión es ofrecer servicios técnicos de excelencia a la comunidad universitaria de nuestro Recinto para garantizar la mejor utilización de los recursos tecnológicos.