This four-year, part-time doctoral program for experienced professionals gives you the opportunity to carry out in-depth research that will have a true impact – either in your own organization or across your sector or even society.
The Doctorate in Business Administration is designed to be flexible and tailored to you and your ambitions. You can organize your academic work around your schedule – and put together your own program of self-study, residential sessions, academic conferences, and events.
If a Doctorate in Business Administration is the right next step for you – we’d love to hear from you. We accept admissions on a rolling basis – so we recommend you start the application process as soon as you can as the application process is quite extensive.
DBA students can start twice a year: once in April and once in October.
To be accepted onto our DBA program, you need:
- A Master degree (Belgian) or equivalent (foreign institute) with honors (to be proofed with certified copies of diplomas or transcripts). Eligibility will be checked with Ghent University/KU Leuven requirements
- At least 10 years of managerial experience, including a period at an executive level
- To proof the necessary intellectual capacity to engage in a doctoral journey. A GMAT/GRE is required (exemptions are possible)
- To proof fluency in English
- To show your motivation for a doctoral track
- To submit an initial research idea that fits our research expertise
Once you pass all your doctoral assignments and reach the end of your doctoral journey, you gain:
- A Certificate in Research in Management from Vlerick Business School.
- A joint Ph.D. degree from the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration at Ghent University and from the Faculty of Economics and Business at KU Leuven. The Ph.D. is awarded upon completion of the research and a successful defense of the doctoral dissertation.
Why our DBA program?
Vlerick Business School, Ghent University and KU Leuven have joined forces to create a unique joint doctoral program for experienced professionals.
A triple-accredited, international business school, Vlerick brings together the academic excellence, rigorous research approach and robust business expertise you need to succeed.
The Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, part of Ghent University - a top-ranked institution worldwide and one the main universities in Belgium - has built up a strong scientific reputation and is acknowledged as an international top player in research.
Research at the EQUIS accredited Faculty of Economics and Business of KU Leuven – also one of the top universities worldwide - has a long history, with a large number of top international refereed academic journal articles and a focus on high policy relevance and/or visibility in the corporate world and government.
We are also a member of the Executive DBA Council, joining 45 DBA programs across 14 countries, working continuously to innovate in the fields of executive doctoral education, action research, and engaged management.
You’ll join a diverse community of international scholars and professionals from industries all over the world – giving you plenty of opportunities to build connections and advance your research.
When you carry out your research with us, you tap into our vast academic and business networks – and take part in our leading research and business events. And of course, you’ll have the knowledge and support of our expert faculty at your fingertips – who all have strong academic backgrounds. Learn more about our faculty at Vlerick, Ghent University, and KU Leuven.
As a participant in the DBA program, you become a member of our vast network, Vlerick Alumni. This gives you an invaluable opportunity to connect with thousands of graduates in every sector and industry across more than 100 countries.
Upon successful completion of the learning stage of the DBA program, a “Certificate in management research” will be granted from Vlerick Business School. Participants who successfully complete their doctoral research and defend their thesis will be awarded a joint Ph.D. degree from the Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration and from KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business. Find out what the graduation requirements are.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 12, 2018