Our graduate programs in Education offer a Doctorate in Education degree with a specialty in Curriculum and Teaching with the following subspecialties:
- Scientific Education
- Physical education
- Mathematics education
- Learning Technology
- Curriculum Theory, Design and Evaluation
- English as a Second Language
Goals and Mission
The goals of the Program are covered by the Conceptual Framework of the Faculty of Education (2001), whose vision states that "the Faculty of Education Eugenio Maria de Hostos constitutes a dynamic and diverse learning community, committed to the highest values of justice, democracy and peace ". Educators are conceived as protagonists and managers of knowledge in its diverse manifestations whose work is central in the transformation of multiple scenarios.
The Curriculum and Teaching Area Program is committed to providing the conditions that foster the formation of professionals capable of creating and transforming educational practices, as well as assuming positions of leadership, based on research, creation, dissemination and community action ", grounded, in turn, in the Mission of the Campus. Therefore, this Program has the responsibility of contributing to the improvement of the quality of education and of Puerto Rican society through academic and professional activities.
Profile of the current program graduate
Graduates of the Graduate Program in the Curriculum and Teaching Area must be trained to:
- Generate knowledge relevant to their professional performance as well as apply and integrate acquired knowledge.
- Refine the domain of content in your area of concentration.
- Design educational plans that allow you to identify, update and continuously integrate the relevant literature.
- Integrate creatively and innovatively the knowledge acquired in their area of expertise with developing and participating in educational research on topics related to their respective fields and contribute in this way to the improvement of educational work in all its dimensions: theoretical, technical and practical.
- Develop and participate in educational research on topics related to their areas of concentration and contribute in this way to the improvement of educational work in all its dimensions: theoretical, technical and practical.
- Derive pertinent implications of the investigative literature in the field of its specialty area.
- Design and critically apply significant research projects in their field.
- Design, evaluate, review and enrich the curricula of their respective areas of expertise in accordance with the needs of the diverse populations they serve.
- Critically analyze problems, approaches and modern teaching techniques.
- Relate philosophical, social, psychological, anthropological and legal foundations of education with educational practice.
- Express your ideas coherently; communicate their knowledge with property and linguistic correctness.
- Suggest alternatives to the concurrent problems in your area of concentration that have an impact on Puerto Rican society and the global society of the 21st century.
- Show a creative style that allows you to improve the quality of life of the educational experience from the scientific, individual and social perspectives.
- Cooperate with agencies and institutions that share the task of educating the Puerto Rican people, so that feasible alternatives can be studied together.
Specific Requirements of the Doctoral Program
- Master's degree or its equivalent from a recognized university.
- Minimum academic index of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Have approved 18 graduate credits related to the area of specialty that interests you (Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and History, Language and Literature in Spanish, English and TESL, Mathematics, among others).
- Those post-graduate courses that are used to satisfy this requirement may not be validated to meet graduation requirements of the Curriculum and Teaching specialty.
- Have passed a minimum of 3 credits graduated in Curriculum and Educational Research.
- For the areas of specialty of Scientific Education and Mathematical Education, have approved 3 credits graduated in Statistics.
- Proficiency in Spanish and English.
Documents and other requirements for the Application for Admission
- Application for Admission to Graduate Studies in electronic format.
- Two Recommendations for Graduate Studies in electronic format.
- Results of EXADEP (PAEG) or GRE
- Two official copies of Transcripts of High School and Master Credits
- Interview with the Academic Advisor or Committee
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. It is the responsibility of the person requesting to ensure that the corresponding documents (including payment) are submitted on the indicated date.
- Exam results (EXADEP / GRE) will not be considered after the dates established for application.
- None of the documents filed to request entry will be returned to the applicant.
- The payment fee is not refundable or transferable.