The PhD program in Engineering through the promotion of research and the training of researchers focuses its mission on the integral education of its students that, in addition to having academic excellence, enhance interdisciplinary work and contribute to solving major national and global problems. The nucleus of professional, disciplinary and interdisciplinary knowledge of this academic program is that of engineering and particularly, that which is found in the field of systems and processes associated with the lines and areas of knowledge related to the research groups of the Faculty of Engineering of the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana .
- Awarding title: Doctor of Engineering
- Face-to-face modality
- SNIES: 53804
- Estimated duration: 4 years
- Qualified registry resolution: 5868 of May 4, 2015, valid until May 4, 2022.
- Registration fee: $ 15,039,000 / Semester *
- Type of training: Postgraduate
- Place where it is offered: Bogotá DC
- High Quality accreditation resolution: 09417 of June 8, 2018, granted for six years
- Day: Day, full time.
* The registration value corresponds to the cost per period fixed for the year 2019.
The doctoral program is completely individualized and is based on the research project carried out by the student under the direction of his tutor and around which all the curricular activities will be organized.
The curriculum of the Doctorate in Engineering program implies the approval of a total of one hundred and twenty (120) credits. The student who enters the program without having completed a master's program can complete these credits in a period of 8 to 10 semesters. For those who hold a Master's degree and to whom an important number of credits have been approved, the expected duration will be 6 to 7 semesters. The program requires a minimum residence of two years and promotes internships abroad.
Phases of program development
First phase: Corresponds to the phase of introduction to research whose duration is normally one year. Students who already have a Master's degree at the beginning of the program may pass this stage through a homologation process agreed upon with their tutor and with the directives of the program.
Second phase: Represents the research phase whose duration is normally three years. In this phase the student focuses on the development of his doctoral thesis. This deliverable is constructed through a process where the student initially presents the competency exam, then the candidacy exam and finally the doctoral thesis support.
Maximum semester academic load: The maximum academic load of a student of the Doctorate in Engineering program is 16 credits per semester. This value aims to avoid overloads of work that affect the quality and productivity of the student, which is reinforced with the duration of 21 weeks of work in academic period for the research subjects.
Doctoral thesis: The doctoral thesis should be a research work that constitutes an original contribution to the engineering sciences. In addition, it must have merits to generate publications in specialized journals of recognized scientific value at the international level and / or to generate technological products of high quality and impact protected by intellectual property mechanisms.
Profile of the applicant
The program is aimed at engineers and professionals related to the discipline willing to train as researchers. Engineers, physicists, mathematicians and graduates of disciplines and engineering-related sciences will therefore have room, having obtained a university degree applicable to the area in which they wish to develop the Doctorate program. They must demonstrate an outstanding academic and professional level during their studies and / or in the exercise of their profession.
The graduate of the Doctorate in Engineering of the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana will be able to:
- Perform and guide in an autonomous way academic and research processes, and apply scientific and technological development in the area of engineering. He will focus his research in the field of systems and processes associated with the knowledge lines related to the research groups of the Faculty of Engineering of the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana .
- Provide solutions to relevant problems in their area of work and develop them based on a methodical and orderly work through a critical and independent analysis.
- Posing and dimensioning any problem in your area of work in a precise way contributing continuously to the development of your area of interest through the continuous development of original research.
- Transmit your knowledge clearly and effectively.
- Propose and direct research projects and work as a team.
- Actively participate in the solution of problems of national and global interest, proposing alternative solutions in accordance with the national reality and within an ethical, moral and social commitment framework.
- Investigation groups
It has 14 research groups, all registered and recognized by Colciencias.
- Counseling and support in doctoral thesis
Permanent supervision and accompaniment of a thesis director.
- Agreements with national and international universities that allow the curricular recognition of students external to the program and students of the program in other universities.
The admission process of the University is based on three groups of criteria: Attitude, Skills and / or Knowledge. Of which each of the candidates will be evaluated through the activities established by the program, such as: interview, specific tests, among others (depends on each program). The applicant initiates the process of registration to the program through the registration form.
In the following table you will see the specific value for each criterion group and its specific activities:
* In the activity referred to the exam you can choose one of the related exams.
Each of the criteria groups Attitude, Skill and Knowledge will have specific activities to be evaluated and these activities in turn will have a specific value. Remember that an activity can appear repeated in different criteria, but this does not mean that you should repeat it for each of them. In the Knowledge criterion you can find several exams, of which you can choose for your admission process.
Program taught in: