The Doctorate in Environmental and Rural Studies has focused the course of the Faculty in Environmental and Rural Studies in the training of high level researchers who stand out for their human, academic and professional qualities. The program has been in existence for more than 10 years, forming doctors capable of proposing and developing ecological, environmental and rural studies, with a holistic and interdisciplinary vision, incorporating the most recent academic knowledge with the aim of impacting the society-nature relationship. Our graduates have been prepared to generate new theories, research groups and innovative studies in their field of knowledge.
The joint work of the departments of Ecology and Territory and Rural Development has strengthened three research groups accredited by Colciencias as category A groups, to which the students are linked.
- Degree awarded: Doctor in Environmental and Rural Studies.
- Modality: The Doctorate requires a full-time dedication. Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- SNIES: 52283
- Estimated duration: From six (6) to twelve (12) semesters.
- Qualified registry resolution: 11985 of September 6, 2013, valid until September 6, 2020.
- Registration fee: $ 15,325,000 / Semester *
- Type of training: Postgraduate
- Place where it is offered: Bogotá DC
* The registration value corresponds to the cost per period fixed for the year 2019.
The Doctorate offers theoretical bases and forms in analytical capacities for the development of innovative thinking in the study of environmental, ecological and rural problems, while offering personalized training built in accordance with the interests of each student. The training of each student has as its epicenter the preparation of the doctoral dissertation, which is an interdisciplinary or transdisciplinary research according to the interest of the student.
Students must take 108 credits and the subjects will be selected with the support of the Thesis Director. The personalized academic and research orientation is offered through the accompaniment of a thesis director and three advisors, selected ad hoc in the student's area of interest.
The curricular plan is formed as follows:
- Subject in the area of Rural and Regional Development (4 credits)
- Subject in the area of Ecology and Territory (4 credits)
- Philosophy of Knowledge subject (3 credits)
- Seminar on Environmental and Rural Studies (3 credits)
- Elective subjects (13 credits)
- Research I, II and III (21 credits)
- Investigation IV and V (40 credits)
- Degree work. (20 credits)
Profile of the applicant
The program is aimed at:
- Professionals with a master's degree in areas related to environmental and rural issues, and who demonstrate interdisciplinary research capacity.
- Professionals interested in carrying out original and independent research in an interdisciplinary environment, with the potential to impact regional and national development.
It is necessary that the applicants have availability for a full-time dedication.
The graduates are able to use a systemic and complexity approach to participate and / or lead interdisciplinary or transdisciplinary research and planning teams and processes, with independence and excellence.
They work as professors or researchers in private, state and non-governmental centers dedicated to studies of ecological, environmental and rural dynamics. They can also work as designers and implementers of public policies or development projects related to the subject.
Why do they choose us?
The Doctorate in Environmental and Rural Studies offered by the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana aimed at generating knowledge about ecological, environmental and rural issues, while at the same time training researchers who are able to play a crucial role in the consolidation of the Higher education in the country. The course of the Faculty focuses on applied research whose conceptual, theoretical and methodological approaches are undertaken in accordance with the problems addressed. Therefore, their research uses both reference frames of the social and natural sciences, through which not only disciplinary, but also interdisciplinary knowledge is generated.
Our students have had the opportunity to do doctoral stays in: United States (University of Rutgers, New Jersey) (Earth Innovation Institute, San Francisco), Brazil (Rural Federal University of Rio de Janeiro), Mexico (National Commission for Knowledge and use of Biodiversity - Conabio, Regional Center for Multidisciplinary Research of the UNAM, Postgraduate School); Germany (Research Unit Sustainability and Global Change - Hamburg University, University of Kaiserslautern, Spain (Pablo de Olavide University, Seville), Sweden (Stockholm Environment Institute).
Each Doctoral student is part of a research group of the Faculty during their studies and can participate in the activities of other research groups.
- Teachers Council
The doctorate has the participation of a significant group of professors of plant and chair, assigned to the departments of Ecology and Territory and Rural and Regional Development of the Faculty of Environmental and Rural Studies.
- Research recognized and supported
We have multiple research groups classified in the highest categories of Colciencias.
- Expert librarian service
The students of our graduate programs have the Alfonso Borrero Cabal General Library, SJ, which has one of the most important repositories in Latin America, individual and group study environments and expert librarians capable of supporting research and study needs.
- The Doctorate interacts with the Observatory of Ethnic and Peasant Territories , the Institute of Environmental Studies and the Institute of Rural Studies of the Faculty of Environmental and Rural Studies.
- We have 10 years of operation, 11 graduates, 32 scientific publications in which our students participate.
The admission process of the University is based on three groups of criteria: Attitude, Skills and / or Knowledge. Of which each of the candidates will be evaluated through the activities established by the program, such as: interview, specific tests, among others (depends on each program). The applicant initiates the process of registration to the program through the registration form.
In the following table you will see the specific value for each criterion group and its specific activities:
* In the activity referred to the exam you can choose one of the related exams.
Each of the criteria groups Attitude, Skill and Knowledge will have specific activities to be evaluated and these activities in turn will have a specific value. Remember that an activity can appear repeated in different criteria, but this does not mean that you should repeat it for each of them. In the Knowledge criterion you can find several exams, of which you can choose for your admission process.
About the School
Founded by the Society of Jesus in 1623, it is a Catholic university, recognized by the Colombian government, which aims to serve the human community, especially Colombia, seeking to establish a more ... Read More