Name of the program: Doctorate in Food Sciences
DGP Code: 506628
Normal period to graduate: 6 semesters
Degree conferring: Doctorate in Food Sciences
Campus where it is offered: Hermosillo
Offer a frame of specialized academic formation to graduates of Biological Sciences, Chemical-Biologists, Chemical Engineering, Agronomist and similar races, forming human resources of excellent level, with a solid preparation in diverse areas of the science, that are able to realize original investigation and independent that represents significant advances in the field of Food Sciences and Technology, with greater emphasis in the areas of grains and aquaculture products. Also, provide them with an in-depth and comprehensive overview so that they are able to identify relevant problems in their work areas and generate applicable knowledge.
- To prepare personnel of high academic level, under a tutorial system, by means of courses and original works of investigation, whose final objective concludes with a thesis of degree.
- Form human resources capable of searching, identifying and solving problems facing the country, concerning Food Sciences.
- Prepare high level human resources capable of generating knowledge, through the planning, design and development of research projects relevant to the development of food science and the resolution of the problems of food production and processing, and agriculture.
- Promote and promote the dissemination and dissemination of scientific knowledge in one or more disciplines of Food Sciences, and in this way strengthen the national scientific culture and especially the regional one.
- Prepare human resources at the highest level with the skills to effectively transmit knowledge, in turn train new researchers and lead working groups that promote raising the level of science in Mexico.
- Articulate the research work of the Academic Bodies and their Lines of Generation and Application of Knowledge with the training of human resources.
- Present the results of the research carried out through participation in specialized events and the publication of research articles in scientific journals indexed by ISI of national or international dissemination.
- Link to Postgraduate Programs of other institutions through specific agreements, as well as influence the contents of the academic programs of the related degrees.
What Will Your Competencies Be When You Finish The Program?
The graduates handle in a critical way the scientific and technical information of specialized current sources. Also, they have the ability to develop basic and applied research to solve problems. Likewise, they are trained to train specialized human resources.
- They will have acquired a solid and current knowledge in food science and technology.
- They will have the capacity to support and develop basic and applied research in an independent manner that will affect the solution of relevant problems, with a scientific, technological, ethical and humanistic approach.
- They will handle in a critical way the scientific and / or technical information of specialized current sources.
- They will be trained to train specialized human resources.
- They will be able to formulate original projects of basic and applied research independently and lead research groups.
- They will have the capacity to train human resources at the graduate level.
List of subjects
- Food Biochemistry
- Physical Chemistry of Food
- Food's microbiology
- Food Chemistry
- Food Rheology
- Fundamentals of Toxicology
- Quality of flour and baking
- Entomology of grains and stored food products
- Handling of grains and stored products
- Microbiology of grains
- Mass rheology
- Grain technology
- Extrusion of food
- Engineering properties of grains
- Harvesting of fishing by-products
- Biochemistry of marine products
- Quality control during the processing of marine products
- Enzymes of marine origin
- Physiology of marine products
- Management and processing of marine products
- Microbiology of marine foods
- Toxicology of marine products
- Advanced biochemistry
- Carbohydrates, Lipids and Proteins: Nutritional Aspects
- Design and evaluation of experiments
- Physical chemistry of proteins
- Physiology and microbial kinetics
- Functional Properties of Food
- Food safety
- Physiology and biochemistry of grains and seeds
- Activation of xenobiotics
- Carbohydrate Chemistry
- Lipid chemistry
- Drying of grains
- Packaging of marine products
- Food quality assessment
- Sensory evaluation of food
- Fundamentals of Chromatographic Methods: Theory and Practice
- Advanced food chemistry
- Advanced topics in food toxicology
- Selected topics in aquaculture products
- Selected topics in legumes
- Selected topics in cereals and oilseeds
- Molecular and cellular biology
- Selected themes
Lines of generation and / or application of knowledge of the program.
- Functional properties of biomolecules
- Food handling, processing, preservation and safety
- Chemical, biochemical and nutritional properties of food
Dr. Josafat Marina Ezquerra Brauer
Dr. Benjamín Ramírez Wong
Dr. Mario Onofre Cortez Rocha
Dr. Enrique Márquez Ríos
Dr. Maribel Plascencia Jatomea
Dr. Francisco Javier Cinco Moroyoqui
Dr. Patricia Isabel Torres Chávez
Dr. Armando Burgos Hernández
Dr. Carmen Lizette Del Toro Sánchez
How to enter this postgraduate course?
- Application for admission with photo.
- Degree or master's degree (original and copy).
- Certificate of qualifications of masters in disciplines related to the program with minimum average of 80/100 (copy).
- Proof of average grades, if the certificate does not bring it (original).
- Document that endorses TOEFL equivalent to a minimum score of 450 points (original).
- Examination of EXANI-III knowledge and skills of CENEVAL (1000 points).
- Submit an oral and written essay (free format, maximum 10 pages) that contains the tentative topic of research endorsed by a graduate professor.
- Letter of commitment of exclusive dedication to the Doctorate Program.
- Curriculum vitae with official vouchers.
- Three letters of recommendation from professors members of the SNI.
- Birth certificate original and copy).
- Unique Code of Population Registration (CURP), for Mexicans. For foreigners, Migratory form of student FM2 or FM9 (copy).
- Elector credential (both sides), for Mexicans. Passport, for foreigners (copy).
- Marriage certificate, birth certificate of children and spouse (copy), only if applicable.
- If you have been a CONACYT Scholar, attach a release letter.
- Proof of medical examination.
The students of the programs with orientation to the research of the Postgraduate in Sciences and Technology of Foods will have to have interest by the scientific investigation in the area of foods. It is necessary that they have the ability to seek, obtain, understand and integrate the scientific information published in the international field. In addition, it is desirable that they have the experience and ability to work in a food laboratory.
Likewise, all students must have satisfactorily completed the study of the level immediately prior to which they aspire to enter and have acquired the following specific competences:
- The main aspects of chemical terminology, biochemistry, physicochemistry, toxicology, microbiology and food technology.
- The fundamentals and main procedures used in the chemical, biochemical, physicochemical and microbiological analysis of food.
- The characteristics of the different states of matter and the theories that are used to describe them.
- The main characteristics of the chemical elements in foods and their compounds.
The type of student who will accept the program must have the following skills and abilities:
- Oral and written comunications habilities.
- Understanding of scientific texts in English language.
- Skills for searching and obtaining information, either in primary or secondary sources.
- Skills for the synthesis, reporting and presentation.
- Skills for solving problems related to qualitative and quantitative information.
- Skills to apply theoretical knowledge to practice.
- Skills and skills in practical aspects. Manual ability to perform tasks of a scientific and practical nature.
- Skills for study and learning autonomously.
- Skills related to computer tools and information technologies.
- Interpersonal skills, appropriate for the relationship with other people and for the integration in work groups.
- Capacity for group work.
- Capacity for decision-making.
- Skills of numerical calculation, including aspects like valuation of the magnitudes and their orders, correct use of the units of measure, analysis of errors, estimations of statistical nature, etc.
- Ability to integrate quality as one of the most important variables to consider in everyday life.
- Skills in the application of deductive reasoning and in the use of creative ability.
- Ability to recognize the need for respect for life, the well-being of people and the environment.
What do you need to get the degree?
To obtain a PhD degree, you must:
- Approve the total credits and meet the other requirements established in the corresponding graduate program;
- Proof of understanding a language other than Spanish, as established by the Academic Committee of the Postgraduate Program according to the study program.
- Pass the examination of grade in the written phase and in the oral phase before a jury named ex profeso.
- Comply with the provisions and requirements demanded by the School Services Office for the issuance of the degree.
In the Graduate Program in Food Science and Technology, a single modality is established to obtain academic degrees. This modality consists of two phases: written phase and oral phase. For this level the written phase consists of an individual thesis, which in addition to satisfying the conditions of the master's thesis, necessarily contains an original research that allows the progress of knowledge in the area of food. The oral phase of the 38-degree examination consists of successfully defending the thesis before the tutorial committee, in accordance with articles 61 and 62 of the REP.
How much does it cost to study this postgraduate course?
Cost of the EXANI-III
The registration cost of applicants to enter the Universidad de Sonora is announced annually along with the first entry notice.
Registration and tuition fees
Students, when enrolling in any of the graduate programs, must cover the corresponding fees according to the current minimum wage in the city of Hermosillo, as established in the Quotas Regulation.
Francisco Rodríguez Félix
Rosales and Blvd. Luis Encinas s / n, Col. Centro, CP 83000, Building 5P. Hermosillo, Sonora.
Tel: 52 (662) 259 2207, 52 (662) 259 2209
href = "http://dipa.unison.mx/?op=doctorado
About the School
La Universidad de Sonora es una institución pública autónoma que tiene como misión formar, en programas educativos de calidad y pertinencia, profesionales integrales y competentes a nivel nacional e i ... Read More