Integration of PD in the research and doctoral training strategy of universities: All universities include in their Statutes and in their strategic plans the desire to promote research, both basic and applied, through specific research programs. Therefore, the training of researchers and the transfer of knowledge are the foundation of their teaching and the means for the scientific, technical and cultural development of society. All of them encourage cooperation with other universities and scientific and cultural institutions, as well as participation in public research plans.
Thus, in the document entitled "Strategy in research and doctoral training", approved in the Governing Council of February 29, 2012 -according to the Regional Strategy of Scientific Research, Technological Development and Innovation (ERIDI) 2007 # 2013- he points out that the fundamental mission of the University of Salamanca is the promotion and coordination of research. Therefore, the training of researchers and the transfer of knowledge are the foundation of their teaching and the means for the scientific, technical and cultural development of society.
The Universitat de València in its 2012-2015 Strategic Plan, approved by the Governing Council on July 30, 2012, aims to capture and develop talent and increase research productivity and research resources. The University of Santiago de Compostela in its Strategic Plan, is committed to "Conform a specialized and competitive postgraduate offer regarding the university environment, national and international, increasing the social prestige of graduate studies.".
The Doctorate in Logic and Philosophy of Science is an interuniversity program of the University of Salamanca and the universities of A Coruña, La Laguna, Granada, Santiago de Compostela, Valladolid, and the Institute of Philosophy of the Higher Council of Scientific Research (CSIC) .
One of its great virtues is the team of more than 50 high-level researchers that integrate it, very prominent and also very dedicated to this exciting inter-university project.
Its main objective is to train highly qualified researchers in logic and argumentation, philosophy of science, philosophy of language and social studies of science and technology, capable of responding to the growing social demands in this field. That is, to train doctors in the different fields of the area of logic and philosophy of science and social studies of science and technology that are capable of responding to the growing social demand for information on scientific-technological systems, their management and its impact within the different social, economic and political spheres. The program also extends to the analysis of the relationship between language and world, cognitive models and their applications to artificial intelligence, as well as problems related to communication, speech acts and pragmatics, meaning, intentionality and theories of mental representation, information technologies, artificial intelligence, semantic web, computability, etc.
Integration of PD in a network or in a Doctoral School:
In the different participating universities there are doctorate schools already created or in the creation phase in which the doctoral program will be integrated. Thus, for example, the Official Program of Doctorate in Logic and Philosophy of Science at USAL would be integrated into the Doctoral School "Studii Salamantini", created on November 30, 2011 by the Governing Council of the University of Salamanca. In this document the Doctoral School "Studii Salamantini" is defined as the unit created by the University of Salamanca to organize and coordinate the activities of all the Doctorate Programs leading to the acquisition of the skills and abilities necessary to obtain the title of Doctor by the University of Salamanca.
Previous experiences of PD universities with similar characteristics and whether the proposal comes from the conversion of a PhD with a Quality Award or whether or not it has a mention towards Excellence:
The reason that supports the expectations of the PD refers to the situation of the area of knowledge of Logic and Philosophy of Science from which the Doctorate is proposed: a tradition of recognized excellence in the Spanish university environment, with clear international reflections.
a) The universities that propose the DP accumulate as a whole the integrity of the thematic areas that constitute the area of Logic and Philosophy of Science, together with their essential and particular perspectives.
b) The inter-thematic and methodically systematized treatment of the axes of this set is essential for basic training. And that task has to recognize in the proposing Universities the obligatory reference to a specialized formation of theoretical and practical character. From this perspective, the base of potential PhD students that is proposed far exceeds the demands generated within a single University (Graduates in the branch of knowledge of Arts and Humanities and other Bachelor's degrees from other universities, postgraduates who have conducted either one of the masters that allows direct access to it, or another master that provides adequate training).
The proposed PD involves the natural transformation of previously implemented studies, namely the Doctorate Program in Logic and Philosophy of Science, an official program that was approved both by the Ministry of Education and Science and by the different autonomous communities with the participation of the Universities of Salamanca, Valladolid, Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, La Laguna and Autónoma de Madrid, and the Institute of Philosophy of the CSIC. Said Program was governed by Royal Decree RD1393 / 2007, of October 29, and was verified, in accordance with the resolution of October 8, 2009, of the General Secretariat of the Council of University Coordination of the Ministry of Education. Likewise, the Doctorate Program has been distinguished with the Quality Award (2008-09 to 2011-12).
In addition to this program, the Social Studies Program of science and technology attached to the University Institute of Science and Technology Studies attached to the University Institute of Science and Technology Studies of the USAL is also incorporated.
Convenience of its implementation:
a) The professional practice of graduates and masters in general, will increasingly need experts, researchers and professionals who have spent time and work methodically organized to study and deepen the aspects and problems of philosophical involvement in the areas referred to . Ultimately this type of methodical work and reflection provides tools for understanding the situation that frames and shapes the different professional fields in our complex, plural and labyrinthine society.
b) The program will make it possible to train doctors in the different fields of the area of logic and philosophy of science. The convenience of having doctors trained in these issues is that this training contributes to the development of a highly trained society that will have highly qualified professionals to formulate, analyze, reason and solve complex problems in a sophisticated way.
In addition, these professionals will be highly qualified to:
- The resolution of conflicts through rational discussion, for intermediation and cultural criticism.
- Respond to the growing social demand for information about the functioning and structure of scientific-technological systems, their management and their impact within different social, economic and political spheres.
- The analysis of the relationship between language and world, cognitive models and their applications to artificial intelligence as well as problems related to communication, speech acts and pragmatics, meaning, intentionality, and theories of mental representation .
- The management of the various information technologies and their formal problems of development: Artificial Intelligence, semantic web, computability, etc. Likewise, as for the development of classic and non-classical Logics, its history and its philosophy.
c) The doctorate program also responds to the need of the different universities to complete their offer by offering students who have completed a master's degree, doctoral training leading to obtaining a doctoral degree. In addition, the interuniversity nature of the program ensures that the offer is made within the framework of a program with sufficient critical mass and entity.
Students with full-time and part-time dedication:
The exclusive dedication is normally provided for the students of this PhD program. However, taking into account the type of students who can enroll, the possibility of having students who choose to dedicate part-time is left open. Therefore, based on the experience of the previous doctoral programs (students who are working as secondary school teachers or in other jobs), the reservation of 6 places for part-time students is foreseen.
- CB11 - Systematic understanding of a field of study and mastery of research skills and methods related to that field.
- CB12 - Ability to conceive, design or create, implement and adopt a substantial research or creation process.
- CB13 - Ability to contribute to the expansion of knowledge frontiers through original research.
- CB14 - Ability to perform a critical analysis and evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas.
- CB15 - Ability to communicate with the academic and scientific community and with society in general about their fields of knowledge in the modes and languages commonly used in their international scientific community.
- CB16 - Ability to promote, in academic and professional contexts, the scientific, technological, social, artistic or cultural advancement within a society based on knowledge.
Personal abilities and skills
- CA01 - Develop in contexts in which there is little specific information.
- CA02 - Find the key questions that must be answered to solve a complex problem.
- CA03 - Design, create, develop and undertake innovative and innovative projects in their field of knowledge.
- CA04 - Work both as a team and independently in an international or multidisciplinary context.
- CA05 - Integrate knowledge, face complexity and formulate judgments with limited information.
- CA06 - The intellectual criticism and defense of solutions.
- CM1 - Ability to acquire advanced knowledge in the fields of argumentation and logic, the philosophy of language, the philosophy of science and technology.
- CM2 - Ability to design a research project with which to analyze and critically assess previous contributions and in which they can apply their knowledge and work methodology.
- CM3 - Ability to make a synthesis of new and complex ideas that produce a deeper knowledge of the research context in which they work.
- CM4- Ability to prepare materials about their own research and disseminate the results.
- Research Seminars
- Research results exhibition meetings
- Methodological, specialized or practical training courses
- Assistance to national or international congresses
- Scientific Publications
- Stays at other research centers
Lines of investigation
- Line 1: Argumentation and Logic
- Line 2: Philosophy of Language and of the Mind
- Line 3: Philosophy of Science
- Line 4: Social Studies of Science and Technology
Selection and Admission. Valuation criteria and body in charge:
The Academic Committee of the PD, through the delegated subcommission, will decide on the admission of each of the applications, being able, if it deems it appropriate, to call an interview to the candidate, whose overall assessment will be a maximum of 30% of the total evaluation. The resolution will be communicated to the interested parties that from that moment and within the deadlines set by each university may formalize the enrollment in the PD.
The evaluation criteria of the applications will be the following:
a) Adequacy of the alleged degree for the entry and average of the academic record in the degree title (or degree) and in the master's degree. It is understood that students who come either from the Master in Logic and Philosophy of Science or from the Master in Social Studies of Science and Technology or those who, coming from other studies of equivalent level, have taken courses that facilitate the assimilation of knowledge and skills offered from the PD: up to 40 points
b) Professional experience (developed inside or outside the university, in public or private centers related to education, research or management): up to 20 points
c) Course achievements, attendance at conferences, stays at other Universities, etc: up to 20 points
d) Documented domain of English or other foreign languages: up to 20 points
Support services for students with special educational needs:
In general, the universities integrated in this doctorate have support services for students. They also have programs for the integration of people with disabilities and different services where people with different types of disabilities are advised and cared for.
- University of Valencia
In the cases where appropriate, individualized curricular adaptations will be made to each student.
Students with part-time dedication:
The regime of dedication of the students to this PD will preferably be full time. However, some of the places offered may be occupied by students who are recognized as part-time.
Students who wish to study this PD on a part-time basis must apply to the Academic Committee of the Program when they submit the application for admission to it or, once admitted, when any of the circumstances included in them are present. below and enable recognition as part-time students.
Among others, the following will be criteria for the admission of part-time students in this PD:
- Be working and documentally accredit the employment relationship.
- Being affected by a degree of physical, sensory or psychic disability that determines the need to pursue part-time doctoral studies. In this case, the student must document the recognized degree of disability.
- To be carrying out another specialized training, in the same or in another University, with part-time dedication and to prove the condition of being admitted or enrolled in such studies as a part-time student.
- Be considered as the main caregiver of dependents and prove it by submitting supporting documentation and certification issued by the competent body for the recognition of the dependency situation.
- Have children under 3 years of age under their care.
- Be a high level competition athlete.
- Exercising student representation tasks.
- Other duly justified (for example, being a victim of gender violence, terrorism, etc.).
The recognition of this condition must be ratified annually and will have effects until the conclusion of the doctoral studies with the presentation and defense of the doctoral thesis. Notwithstanding the foregoing, during the development of the PD, changes may be requested in the modality of dedication to these studies, provided that the following circumstances occur:
- PhD students with part-time dedication who, during the PD, lose the circumstance for which they were admitted and recognized as such, will automatically become PD students with full-time dedication. As of that moment, they will have three years until the presentation of the application for the doctoral thesis deposit, provided they have not passed more than two years under the condition of part-time student.
- PhD students who have begun doctoral studies on a full-time basis are required to apply for part-time status and meet any of the requirements expressed above, they will be available from the granting of said condition until the presentation of the application for the doctoral thesis deposit of a maximum of time that as a whole, with the time elapsed, does not exceed 5 years.