The Doctorate in Social and Human Sciences of the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana , seeks to contribute to:
- The appropriation, application, generation and transfer of relevant knowledge for the understanding and explanation of complex social and human problems in a globalized context, through an integrating strategy of knowledge.
- The consolidation of interdisciplinary research groups in the Social and Human Sciences, capable of broadening perspectives and of opening up to dialogue and construction of knowledge with other disciplines and knowledge, for the analysis of complex social problems in the national and international context.
- The training of high-level researchers and researchers capable of contributing to the development of the social and human sciences, and the strengthening of civil society.
- Title granted: Doctor in Social and Human Sciences.
- Face-to-face modality. Different schedules according to subjects. The Doctorate in Social and Human Sciences demands a full-time dedication. The student must have the time necessary to respond academically to the commitments corresponding to the common course and seminars; These commitments include, among other aspects: preparation of readings, essays, seminar protocols, preparation of the Colloquium, Defense of the Thesis Project and Comprehensive Review. Students also participate in the events scheduled in each semester by the program
- SNIES: 54104
- Estimated duration: Three years.
- Qualified registry resolution: 10512 of July 14, 2015, valid until July 14, 2022.
- Registration fee: $ 15,122,000 / Year *
- Type of training: Postgraduate
- Place where it is offered: Bogotá DC
* The registration value corresponds to the cost per period fixed for the year 2019.
The curriculum revolves around four problematic axes: Problematic axes are communities of learning, teaching and research in which interdisciplinary seminars are offered for students to deepen, through them and in their projects of doctoral theses, in the different problems and approaches of the social and human sciences. The doctorate currently has four current axes:
Axis 1: State and society
It includes the development of interdisciplinary, teaching and research practices that, recognizing the complexity and interdependence of social phenomena, focus their attention on the problems derived from their own dynamics and the relationship between the State, society and development that determine the conditions of population welfare, dynamics that depend on the conditions of equilibrium between political, economic and social forces in constant dispute.
Axis 2: The dispossession and the common
It is the result of the joint work of the members of the Instituto Pensar research group. This Axis deals with the spoils and commons, while both are the direct effect of different forms taken by social relations. Thus, it problematizes some of the everyday uses of the concepts of dispossession and the common that conceal, naturalize and reduce many of its functions. The reflections of the axis are approached from perspectives as diverse as feminist, territorial, migration, socio-juridical studies and also through the study of the construction and consolidation of formal and non-formal knowledge.
Axis 3: Knowledge Society, Information, Communication and Socio-Educational Processes
he is interested in the integration of new theories and concepts towards the renewal of paradigms of thought and creativity. The opening of the Social and Human Sciences in the contemporary world is stated as substantive, as well as the understanding of the processes of digitalization in the Society, the analysis of the different paths for the encounter of sciences, arts, border knowledge and the critical reflections of the processes of subjectivation.
Axis 4: Cultures, Subjectivities and Knowledge
it focuses on the reflective, critical, proactive and participatory study of some social, historical and cultural processes marked by the complex power relations originated in the colonial experience and impacted by the transformations of the world-system and capitalism. It is the concern of the Axis, the constant resemantizations of the development discourse, the great diversity of Latin American societies in general and the Colombian one in particular, and the incessant and rich production of knowledge, representations, practices and ontologies that characterize us.
Profile of the applicant
The Doctorate in Social and Human Sciences offered by the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana is aimed at professionals and researchers from different disciplines interested in deepening their knowledge and skills for social research, with some training or experience in this field of knowledge. The program seeks to link aspirants interested in strengthening their capacity to:
- Work and deepen interdisciplinary teams on concrete social and human problems.
- Develop skills of analysis, synthesis and management of various sources of information.
- Plan, develop and manage research projects of a theoretical or applied nature.
- Lead interdisciplinary research groups, and participate and work on them, with ethical criteria and willingness to dialogue with knowledge, assuming the social, political, ethical and institutional implications of their research.
- Communicate and work with researchers from other areas, in order to deepen the analysis of complex issues that go beyond the field of knowledge of their professional discipline.
- Participate in scientific communities in the national and international context, through collaborative work in networks.
Graduates of the Doctorate can perform as:
- Researchers in interdisciplinary teams of governmental and non-governmental entities.
- Researchers in university institutions, dedicated to the study of complex problems in the field of Social and Human Sciences from an interdisciplinary approach.
- Consultants and advisors for the development of projects related to problems relevant to Social and Human Sciences, both nationally and internationally.
- Consultants and advisors in processes of formulation of public policies in fields of competence of the Social and Human Sciences.
Why do they choose us?
The Doctorate in Social and Human Sciences began in July 2009 and since then has sought to contribute to consolidate the appropriation, application, generation and transfer of relevant knowledge for the understanding and explanation of complex social and human problems in the Colombian reality and in a globalized context. The Doctorate is committed to an integrating strategy of the different fields and theoretical-methodological horizons of the Social and Human Sciences.
The Doctorate program of two fundamental epistemic approaches:
- The recognition of plurality of perspectives, both epistemic and ethical and political, of the analysis and nature of the social; -
- The need for an interdisciplinary approach in the investigation of the social. The Doctorate, in addition to collecting the humanist tradition of the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana , has become a high-level training space inside and outside the country, which integrates the academic and research strengths between academics linked to six different Faculties and the Thinking Institute .
- Interdisciplinary program
Developed by the faculties of Social Sciences, Education, Political Science and International Relations, Communication and Language, Psychology, Economic and Administrative Sciences, and the Institute of Social and Cultural Studies Think.
It allows students to build different academic itineraries in areas of particular research interest, in accordance with the guidelines of the Program.
- Stays of research and mobility to other doctorates and programs of the University, or national and international universities that have agreements with the Universidad Javeriana.
- Social projection
Its purpose is to give a response from the academy to the need to promote and build a research that addresses problems of the national and international environment related primarily to issues of high influence in the current world, particularly in Colombia and Latin America.
- Teachers of high academic quality
With extensive experience in higher education, in the research and dissemination of knowledge with national and international recognition.
- Plural thinking
- The contents and methodology generate participation spaces open to different positions, criteria and thoughts that help the permanent construction of knowledge, culture and values.
The admission process of the University is based on three groups of criteria: Attitude, Skills and / or Knowledge. Of which each of the candidates will be evaluated through the activities established by the program, such as: interview, specific tests, among others (depends on each program). The applicant initiates the process of registration to the program through the registration form.
In the following table you will see the specific value for each criterion group and its specific activities:
* In the activity referred to the exam you can choose one of the related exams.
Each of the criteria groups Attitude, Skill and Knowledge will have specific activities to be evaluated and these activities in turn will have a specific value. Remember that an activity can appear repeated in different criteria, but this does not mean that you should repeat it for each of them. In the Knowledge criterion you can find several exams, of which you can choose for your admission process.