The main focus of research is on the innovative integration of business knowledge with sustainable development issues. Specifically, economic growth, environmental management, and social fairness are constituent parts of all DBA projects.
Introduction This phase is an introduction to the methodology of research and to sustainability management. It involves attendance of SUMAS workshops, preparation of the literature review and student presentations.
Selection The second phase is the selection of the research areas and methodological instruments. It involves attendance of SUMAS workshops, choice of research methods and student presentations.
Individual Work The third and final phase is individual work under the careful guidance of the supervisor. It also involves collective seminars to share knowledge on the advancement of research.
The theoretical philosophy of this DBA Program hinges upon a holistic approach to problem-solving and stresses on the development of leadership skills, teamwork and intercultural competence in global work environments as crucial qualities of managerial practice in times of changing organizational settings.
The research work will be organized in different phases according to the different research stages. Students will attend workshops with prominent academics and professionals in the field of business and sustainability and will share knowledge with other researchers to create new knowledge. This will enable students to enhance their ability to conceptualize, design and implement a substantial research project.
Optional Experiential camps in holiday resorts in the mountains or at the seaside will be helpful to raise awareness of sustainable living and to learn practical solutions to environmental challenges.
For example, students can develop practical projects in the Green Economy Camp in Paro (Bhutan) or join a Bioenergy program in Brazil, under the careful guidance of professionals and professors.
Requirements for the Doctorate Program:
- Signed application form & 2 passport photos
- Photocopy of a valid passport or ID
- Official Certified University transcripts and diplomas, with certified translation, if not originally in English
- Official certified university transcript (if applying for transfer of credits)
- CV / Resumé indicating both complete education and any work experience in reverse chronological order
- Essay of 3000 words stating your research interests, chosen research topic and motivations, theoretical framework as well as expected outcomes of research results
- If you are not a native English speaker, or if you have not spent the last 3 years in an English-taught school: TOEFL (minimum score of 550 PBT or 80 IBT), or IELTS (minimum score of 6.0), or other Standardized English Placement Exams. To submit the TOEFL test score to the Sustainability Management School automatically, please enter SUMAS's TOEFL® Institutional Code number - 4629 when you take the test.
- Application fee of 200 CHF for EU Students / 500 CHF for non-European students
- Year 1: 19,000 CHF
- Year 2: 13,000 CHF
- Year 3: 11,000 CHF
SUMAS does not currently offer any scholarship programs or grants.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 15, 2018