The aim of the Hector Fellow Academy is to promote young researchers in the Hector Fellows' environment. The HFA Ph.D. students are given the opportunity to benefit from the wealth of experience and outstanding expertise of their supervisor while building up a research network.
Every year, several Ph.D. positions are funded by the HFA. Master graduates from all over the world can apply with a very good degree.
Ambitious young scientists have the opportunity to do their Ph.D. with a self-developed research project in the working group of a Hector Fellow.
For this, an innovative, self-developed research topic has to be submitted, which the young scientist works on within the framework of the three-year doctoral phase at the Institute of the supervising Hector Fellow. It must be included in the application which Hector Fellow qualifies as a supervisor for your research idea.
Moreover, outstanding Master's graduates can also apply for advertised Ph.D. positions of a Hector Fellow. By becoming a member of the Hector Fellow Academy, the young scientists become part of an interdisciplinary network of top researchers.
Ph.D. students of the Hector Fellow Academy are employed as research assistants for a period of three years. The salary corresponds to the internal regulations at the University of the respective Hector Fellow (according to TV-L 13, up to 100%, based on the funding rates of the DFG for Ph.D. students).
As a Ph.D. student, you also have 9,500€ as research funding every year at your disposal. Furthermore, you get the opportunity to take part in a variety of training sessions and networking events in order to obtain and support interdisciplinary competencies and soft skills.
At a glance
- Opportunity to obtain the Ph.D. with an own research idea or
- Application for a position advertised by the Hector Fellow
- A funded position, not a scholarship
- Extensive research funding
- Membership in our research network
- Collaboration with Hector Science Award winners (prize for outstanding research achievement and special commitment to teaching and the promotion of young scientists)
- Training in management topics
- Variety of training activities & networking events
To apply for a position as a Ph.D. student at the Hector Fellow Academy, the following requirements must be met:
- Excellent academic performance
- Very good master’s degree in the relevant field
- Very good knowledge of English
- Willingness to move to the university location of the supervising Hector Fellow, if necessary
- Either submit an innovative, self-developed project outline within the research area of a Hector Fellow
- Or apply for a position advertised by a Hector Fellow
Upon receipt of the application, the submitted documents will be reviewed by the Hector Fellow Academy office and forwarded to the Hector Fellow. The assessment is based on the academic qualifications, the maturity of the project outline and the consistency of the topic with the research focus of the Hector Fellow or the fit to the requirements of the advertised position.
With the most promising candidates, the Hector Fellows coordinate interviews. The finalists will be invited to a personal introduction in July (as part of the annual symposium). Subsequently, the final funding decisions are made.
- Price: Ph.D. students of the Hector Fellow Academy are employed as research assistants for a period of three years. The salary corresponds to the internal regulations at the University of the respective Hector Fellow (according to TV-L 13, up to 100%, based on the funding rates of the DFG for Ph.D. students).
- As a Ph.D. student, you also have 9,500€ as research funding every year at your disposal.
- Start Date: August annually
- The application start date is January 15th, 2019
- Deadline: March 31st, 2019
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 3, 2019