HKUST has been drawing the best doctoral students from around the world through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS), established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council. In the 2018-19 cohort, over 50 of the 231 awardees in Hong Kong are HKUST students. With 1/6 HKUST PhD students being HKPFS Fellows, by joining us, you will find yourself being part of an exceptionally strong research community.
A Prestigious and Fully-Funded Option for Your PhD Studies
1. Stipend: HK$309,600 (~US$39,700) per year, for 4 years
2. Excellent Research Award: HK$40,000 (~US$5,000) in the first year of study
3. Conference Travel Allowance: HK$12,900 (~US$1,650) per year, for 4 years; and
4. University Accommodation: Guaranteed in first 2 years of research postgraduate studies
On top of meeting the HKUST admission requirements, HKPFS applicants should have:
- Outstanding academic records
- Excellent research ability and potential
- International exposure and a global outlook
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership abilities
Program information for 2020/21 is now ready at pg.ust.hk/programs.
i. General Admission Requirements
Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have:
- obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
You have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments*:
- TOEFL-iBT 80#
- TOEFL-pBT 550
- TOEFL-Revised Paper-Delivered Test 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module) Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-scores: 5.5
*If your first language is English, and your bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification was awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction was English, you will be waived from fulfilling the above English Language requirements.
#refers to the total score in one single attempt
Please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs ("Application") for details.