HKUST has been drawing the best doctoral students from around the world through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS), established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council. In the 2017-18 cohort, over 60 of the 231 awardees in Hong Kong are HKUST students. With 1/6 HKUST PhD students being HKPFS Fellows, by joining us, you will find yourself being part of an exceptionally strong research community. A Prestigious and Fully-Funded Option for Your PhD Studies
- Stipend: HK$240,000 (~USD30,000) per year for 4 years
- Excellent Research Award: HK$40,000 (~USD5,000) in the first year of study
- Conference Travel Allowance: HK$10,000 (~USD1,300) per year for 4 years; and
- Guaranteed university accommodation in the first 2 years of research postgraduate studies
On top of meeting the HKUST admission requirements, HKPFS applicants should have:
- Outstanding academic performance;
- Excellent research ability and potential
- International exposure and a global outlook;
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Strong leadership abilities.
The application for the fellowship is now closed. However, if you are interested in pursuing the PhD studies, you can also submit the application. The University will provide the Postgraduate Studentship of HK$16,330 per month to full-time PhD students. Do apply and submit your application before the stipulated deadlines.
English Language Admission Requirements
You have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments*:
- TOEFL-iBT 80
- TOEFL-pBT 550
- TOEFL-Revised Paper-Delivered Test 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module) Overall score: 6.0 and all sub-scores: 5.5
*If your first language is English, and your bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification was awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction was English, you will be waived from fulfilling the above English Language requirements.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 15, 2017