You are an experienced, successful Senior Professional, Senior Manager or Chief Executive Officer. You have an MBA or similar qualification. You feel that you need a deeper understanding of the issues you face and a more systematic way of investigating options and possibilities. You feel that only by stepping back and taking the time, and putting the issues you face into a broader context of theoretical knowledge, will you be able to develop the kinds of breakthrough solutions you are looking for. You are enthusiastic about personal, professional and organizational development and are motivated to contribute to management thinking and practice by researching and developing new ways of doing things.
The DBA International Programme is a blended learning programme specially tailored for those who cannot put their careers on hold. The freedom and flexibility of this programme will allow you to balance the demands of your career and personal life while developing your skills and capabilities through a significant study of original research aimed at improving practical decision making as well as increasing the understanding of organizational and business life.
A Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) is a management practitioner’s degree and, while not a requirement, continued involvement in an organization is important for keeping the theoretical and methodological contents of your DBA studies in a practical context. A DBA is focused on developing a scientific attitude, not just completing a research project. The rigorous application of research methods within a theoretical framework is a skill which will serve you throughout your career.
The programme is structured into four phases. In the first phase, you will be challenged to develop your own identity and vision as a researcher. What motivates you? What kind of problems fascinates you? The second phase is focussed on developing your skills as a researcher. The third phase is focussed on integration. Are you able to unite your vision and motivation with your knowledge and intellectual capacities? The final phase is the thesis research and writing phase. Through your research, you will be able to apply and internalize the learning of the first three phases as well as contextualize it.
For admission to this programme, applicants will be required to:
• hold an MBA or a Masters qualification in a relevant area, and
• have at least five years postgraduate work experience
• be in a professional capacity with significant responsibility or
• be in a senior management role or
• be the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of a small to medium-sized enterprise or be in an equivalent position;
• be pursuing, or have pursued, a significant career in professional or business areas that fall within the research interests of Sheffield Business School or the faculty of Business School Netherlands, and
• display evidence of the potential to do doctoral level work, and have written and verbal fluency in English. For non-native English speakers, a minimum TOEFL mark of 580 on the paper-based test or 237 on the computerized test, or 91 on the internet-based test, or a 6.5 on the IELTS standard is required.
In exceptional circumstances, consideration may be given to applicants without a Master’s degree who:
• hold a good first degree in a relevant discipline;
• have exceptional work experience demonstrated by professional advancement;
• can demonstrate continued education and professional development since graduation.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 14, 2018