The Silesian University of Technology organizes its Ph.D. studies within the Joint Doctoral School. The School aims to promote and implement research areas defined in the University development strategy. Ph.D. studies prepare students to achieve a high degree of specialization and expertise in a scientific discipline.
The Joint Doctoral School offers interdisciplinary education covering a wide range of scientific disciplines. The duration of a Ph.D. program is 4 years with full-time enrolment. Each Ph.D. student receives a scholarship without charging for tuition.
The Joint Doctoral School selects prospective Ph.D. students through annual open competitions in the form of entrance examinations.
The most important information about the enrolment to the Joint Doctoral School in the academic year 2020/2021
- The enrolment to The Joint Doctoral School takes place through an annual open competition on the rules set out in Resolution No. 4/2020 of the Senate of the Silesian University of Technology from 27th January 2020.
- The enrolment is open since 29th June 2020 according to the detailed calendar set by the Rector.
- The registration and submitting of documents in electronic form take place due to the on-line platform DreamApply.
- The topics of Ph.D. projects, divided into scientific disciplines, are available from 22nd June 2020. The candidate chooses the topic of the Ph.D. project to which he/she wants to apply.
- After choosing the topic of the Ph.D. project, the candidate should contact by e-mail the supervisor responsible for this project, to discuss the details of the project implementation and obtain the supervisor’s statement, required during enrolment.
- In justified cases, when the candidate cannot appear in person for the entrance examinations (in particular in the current situation related to the epidemic or in the case of foreign candidates), the entrance examinations takes place outside the site of the University, using IT technology with control the course of the examination and its registration.
Calendar of enrolment procedure and entrance examinations
|29.06.2020 (12:00, CET)||Start of the electronic enrolment procedure.|
|03.09.2020 (23:59, CET)||Deadline for enrolment procedure.
Deadline for delivery of the required documents.
Closure of electronic enrolment system.
|04.09.2020 – 08.09.2020||Assessment of qualifications and delivered documents.|
|09.09.2020 – 24.09.2020||Entrance examinations (oral).
Assembling of the paper version of required documents in the Main Office of the Joint Doctoral School.
|28.09.2020 (12:00, CET)||Final ranking list of Ph.D. students admitted to the Joint Doctoral School.|
Due to the fact that the interviews will be conducted remotely, each candidate qualified for the second stage of the recruitment will receive information about the date of the interview by e-mail.
How to apply for the Ph.D. program
The selection of Ph.D. candidates to the Joint Doctoral School involves a competitive examination.
Call for admission to the Ph.D. program is open to students of all ages and nationalities who obtained a second level University degree (Master level). International qualifications will be assessed by the Examination Board during the selection and evaluation procedure and will be declared equivalent (or not) to a Polish second-level degree – Master Degree.
Equivalence of international qualifications
Before your application can be assessed for admission, your international qualifications must be declared equivalent to a Polish degree. If the outcome of the assessment is positive, your application will be evaluated for admission to a Ph.D. program. The results of this assessment will be sent to you by e-mail.
The call for admission is open in the following scientific disciplines:
- Architecture and Urban planning
- Automation, Electronic, and Electrical Engineering
- Technical IT and telecommunication
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering and Transport
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Environmental, Mining, and Energy Engineering
- Chemical Studies
- Management and Quality Studies
Call for admission to the Ph.D. program is open to students of any citizenship and age who obtained a Master’s degree level or other equivalent academic qualification of second cycle level awarded by a foreign university and granting access to Ph.D. studies. International qualifications will be assessed by the Examination Board during the selection and evaluation procedure and will be declared equivalent (or not) to a Polish second-level degree – Master Degree.
A person who is a graduate of first-level university Degree studies or a student who has completed the third year of uniform master’s studies may also be admitted to the Join Doctoral School, if:
on the basis of the documents submitted by the candidate, the Central Enrolment Commission confirms that the candidate has particularly high academic achievements in the field of the related discipline in which The Join Doctoral School is run,
on the basis of the interview conducted with the candidate, the Central Enrolment Commission confirms that the candidate has extensive knowledge in the field of scientific research methodology and the dissemination of results of scientific activities.
At the same time, you can be a student of only one Join Doctoral School.
The enrolment is carried out electronically by the DreamApply system.
Candidates submit the required documents to the Main Office of the Join Doctoral School within the time specified in the Calendar of the enrolment. The Central Enrolment Commission will take the Entrance examinations (oral) only with candidates who have submitted a set of documents.
Admission to the Join Doctoral School is based on the results of the competitive examination within the number of places in the School. The ranking list is established on the basis of the number of points gained by individual candidates.
Candidates are qualified depending on the place on the ranking list up to the number of places and one person for each announced research topic.
The Central Enrolment Commission defines the minimum number of points that candidates must gain during the entire enrolment process. The number of points is the same for all recruitments this year enrolment.
The admission to the Joint Doctoral School takes place by registration on the list of Ph.D. students. The negative result of admission to the Joint Doctoral School requires an administrative decision. From the decision of the negative result of admission, you may submit the request for a reconsideration of the case within fourteen days of the decision delivery.
About the School
Welcome to the Silesian University of Technology (SUT), a place that, without any doubt, educates successful people. SUT is included in the prestigious group of 10 Polish universities, winners of the ... Read More