The doctoral program is an official interuniversity degree between the University of A Coruña and the University of Vigo. The program of Doctorate of Advanced Biotechnology Aims to train professional researchers in different fields of biotechnological research and to provide a competitive, homogeneous, well-structured and quality doctoral program.
Why study the degree
The aim is to prepare students to be able to initiate and complete a theoretical, methodological and research training in the multidisciplinary field of Biotechnology, which materialize in the elaboration and public defense of a complex, original and innovative doctoral thesis.
What is learned
The research area will focus on the 3 most important sectors of biotechnology (environmental sanitary and agri-food).
The PhD program of Advanced Biotechnology is an interuniversity program, in which 36 doctors participate, distributed in the following teams:
- Biochemistry. University of A Coruña
- Biotechnology Team. University of A Coruña
- Plant Physiology Team. University of A Coruña
- Team of Organic Chemistry and Molecular Biology. University of A Coruña
- Fuel Equipment. University of A Coruña
- Genetics Team. University of A Coruña
- Biotechnology Team. University of Vigo
Lines of investigation
These are the lines of research of this doctoral program:
- Application of Total Quality Management and risk prevention to different areas
- Bioelectroanalysis: modified electrodes, bionanotechnology and applications
- Biology of systems
- Bioprocesses applied to green chemistry and the environment
- Microbial Biotechnology
- Health Biotechnology
- Plant Biotechnology
- Search, expression, production and engineering of proteins with biotechnological applications
- Development and use of molecular markers and chromosome studies for population analysis
- Study of nutraceutical compounds in horticultural crops
- Management and treatment of organic waste, Composting, Minimization of waste and clean technologies
- Analytical tools for the analysis and confirmation of chemical compounds of biotechnological interest
- Interdisciplinary research related to quality control and evaluation of physicochemical characteristics of fuels and lubricants
- Physiological mechanisms of disease resistance and plant development
- Obtaining new compounds and nanomaterials with biological application
- Reconstruction of genealogies and phylogenies
- Biotechnological treatment of industrial waste
- Treatment and biotransformation of industrial effluents (water, gases) in bioproducts
Specific Training Complements
In case the doctor does not have the complete previous training required in the program, his / her admission to the program may be conditioned to the surpassing of specific training complements, which may be subjects or modules of master and degree. The complements assigned to the same doctorate may not exceed 15 ECTS credits and may be made prior or simultaneous to the tuition in academic tuition in the program.
In case of simultaneous realization the students will have to register for these complements at the moment of formalizing the tuition of academic tutelage in the program, which must be surpassed in the maximum term of three consecutive quarters. Failure to do so will result in student disqualification from the program.
- Genetic Engineering and Transgenesis
- Cellular and Tissue Engineering
- Genomics and Proteomics
- Industrial Biotechnology
- Processes and Biotech Products
- Application Techniques in Biotechnology
Formative Activities of the Program
- Research seminars organized by research groups. Full-time doctoral candidates must attend four annual seminars at an average of two and a half hours each. They will be held in the centers where the students are enrolled. Compulsory activity.
- Assistance in congresses. Specific activity of second and third year. Depending on the subject of the thesis and the results obtained, the director will propose to which conference the student will attend. It will be encouraged that the students participate in at least one congress before the defense of the doctoral thesis, and if possible of international scope. Compulsory activity.
- Promotion of mobility. Students will be encouraged and encouraged to spend three months in prestigious internationally renowned R & D centers.
- Writing and publication of scientific articles. In this activity the student has to interpret the results obtained in his research, to review the bibliography, to correct the article, etc. Compulsory activity.
- Attendance at research conferences given by research groups or invited researchers. Each full-time student would have to attend at least two conferences per year, with an average of two and a half hours per conference. Compulsory activity.
- Assistance to a course on Patents. Compulsory activity.
Professional and academic outputs
It aims to train highly qualified professionals prepared to meet the demand of the growing number of biotechnology companies and to be able to carry out a research task of quality, international projection and leading in the future research groups and R + D + I of public centers and private companies.
Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Science and Technology, Pharmacy, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Physiotherapy, Environmental Sciences, Marine Sciences and Chemical or Agronomic Engineering with master's degrees in topics related to the field of Biotechnology. Other different qualifications will be valued.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 6, 2017