The Programme PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology Is an official university degree that addresses training in fundamental molecular and cellular biological research. It has the collaboration of the Institute of Biomedical Research of A Coruña (INIBIC).
Its objective is to train in methodological and instrumental skills to be able to develop research projects in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Plant Physiology and Biomedicine.
Why study the degree
The program offers quality teaching, personalized and integrated in consolidated research groups. It has also recognized national and international prestige.
Lines of investigation
These are the lines of research of this doctoral program:
- Evolutionary biology
- Molecular biology of RNA and proteins
- DNA damage
- Aging and inflammation
- Gene Expression in Yeast and Applications
- Physiology of plants
- Genetics of marine organisms
- Genetics and Genetic Toxicology
- Tissue Engineering
- Research in rheumatology
- Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
- Neuroanatomy of vertebrates
Specific Training Complements
In case the doctor does not have the complete previous training required in the program, his / her admission to the program may be conditioned to the surpassing of specific training complements, which may be subjects or modules of master and degree. The complements assigned to the same doctorate may not exceed 15 ECTS credits and may be made prior or simultaneous to the tuition in academic tuition in the program.
In case of simultaneous realization the students will have to register for these complements at the moment of formalizing the tuition of academic tutelage in the program, which must be surpassed in the maximum term of three consecutive quarters. Failure to do so will result in student disqualification from the program.
Formative Activities of the Program
- Research Seminars . They deal with topics related to the research lines of the Doctorate Program and also the students participate in exposing the work they do. Evaluation: By attendance and participation sheet.
- Participation in Scientific Congresses . They will be recognized as training activities up to a maximum of 30 hours per year for attendance with participation in Scientific Congresses, provided they are endorsed by the director and tutor of the Thesis. Assessment: Certificate of attendance and participation.
- Radiological Protection and Use of Isotopes in Biological Research . Voluntary biannual activity whose purpose is to provide the necessary training to update authorized personnel the use of radioisotopes not encapsulated in biological research. Evaluation: Sheet of attendance signatures.
- Research Stays in Other Centers . Stays in other research centers that allow access to the international modality of doctorate. Assessment: The Thesis director / tutor is responsible for monitoring the work done by the student.
- Participation in Specialization Courses . It is a specific activity for each student directed to his participation in courses related to techniques that he needs in support of his research activity. These courses, many times of an international character and supported in their organization by scientific societies are highly competitive in the admission of students and represent a high level training opportunity. The Director / Tutor of the Thesis will be the one who will propose to the student the courses in which he must request acceptance according to his trajectory. Assessment: Certificate of attendance / participation.
- Formative Activities of Transversal Character : organized by the International School of doctorate of the UDC. Evaluation: the one that is determined in each activity.
Professional and academic outputs
- Researcher in the public or private sector.
- College professor.
- Promoter of Biotechnology Company.
- Research manager.
- R & D specialist.
The admission requirements are those contemplated in RD99 / 2011.
The profile recommended as preferential is Degree of Degree, Degree or Master of the field of Experimental Biological or Biomedical Sciences.