Increasingly public awareness of environmental problems has led to the development of a wide range of new knowledge, technology, innovation and transfer needs in the last decades and in developed countries, particularly in Europe. The management and resolution of many different issues related to the environment.
The Programme Doctorate in Environmental Science and Technology Is an official university degree whose objective is to train researchers who can strengthen the processes of generation and transfer of knowledge in relation to the environment, as well as scientific and technological innovation in everything related to its proper management.
The researchers participating in the doctoral program maintain active collaborations with multiple companies, institutions, research groups and researchers both nationally and abroad.
Why study the degree
The preservation of natural resources as well as the rational and efficient use of them is one of the main challenges that the human being is facing at the moment. The evident effects of climate change require a scientific-technological response that allows a sustainable development to be combined with respect for the environment. The society must equip itself with researchers and technologists able to face the challenge that this entails and to offer solutions that minimize the environmental impact of the activity of the human being. Generally the environmental problems must be approached from diverse fields, that is why the official doctoral program in Environmental Science and Technology offers to the society the formation of specialized doctors, With multidisciplinary training, In the field of Science and Technology applied to the Environment, able to diagnose and / or offer answers to environmental problems, essentially of anthropogenic origin, compatible with sustainable development, answers with administrative, scientific and technological components, addressing In an integrated way the environmental issues.
In this sense, it is worth mentioning, by way of example, areas in which any postgraduate, with scientific and technological concern, can find the opportunity to obtain specialized and multidisciplinary training:
- Integrated management and sustainable use of water resources,
- R & D & I in industrial processes and less polluting products, reducing the volume of emissions to the atmosphere, water and soil and efficient from the point of view of the consumption of raw materials and energy,
- Reduction of industrial impact on the environment, human and animal health, vegetation and natural and cultural heritage,
- R & D & I in the search for alternatives to persistent organic pollutants and heavy metals,
- Research on geological-geotechnical risks associated with natural disasters and climate change,
- Development of new products, chemical and biological technologies and processes, and design of new catalysts / biocatalysts, requiring less energy consumption, allowing the use of renewable raw materials, reducing or eliminating the use of hazardous substances and the generation of waste Great impact on the environment.
Lines of investigation
These are the lines of research of this doctoral program:
- Application of wetlands built for treatment of domestic and industrial effluents
- Chemical utilization of vegetal biomass
- Calculations of chemical speciation in the field of geochemistry, oceanography and natural waters in general.
- Soil quality
- Characterization and monitoring of environmental contaminants. Air quality, water, marine environment. Food safety
- Degradation of compounds of environmental interest
- Environmental law
- Environmental Education: Chemical-Analytical Aspects
- Elimination / Recovery of ecotoxic metals in effluents by combining electrochemical and biological techniques.
- Elucidation of oxidation mechanisms of compounds of environmental interest
- Renewable energy
- Study of the response to heavy metals in microalgae
- Modeling of sewage treatment processes
- Radon in homes in Galicia
- Biofilm Technologies for Wastewater Treatment
- Wastewater treatment technologies in small nuclei
- Environmental Radiological Surveillance
Specific Training Complements
In case the doctor does not have the complete previous training required in the program, his / her admission to the program may be conditioned to the surpassing of specific training complements, which may be subjects or modules of master and degree. The complements assigned to the same doctorate may not exceed 15 ECTS credits and may be made prior or simultaneous to the tuition in academic tuition in the program.
In case of simultaneous realization the students will have to register for these complements at the moment of formalizing the tuition of academic tutelage in the program, which must be surpassed in the maximum term of three consecutive quarters. Failure to do so will result in student disqualification from the program.
Formative Activities of the Program
Drafting and publication of articles and / or scientific publications.
One of the essential activities associated with the research activity is the communication of the results to the rest of the scientific community. Once the first research results are sufficient for the elaboration of an article or scientific publication, the student will be given the general guidelines for the writing of the article.
Generally, it is planned to publish at least three articles during the time of the doctoral thesis, one per year; Being, preferably, the language to use English. It is assumed that this training activity involves an hourly occupation in the environment of 300 hours (100 hours per publication).
The validation of this activity will be done with the publication itself, or, as the case may be, the communication of final acceptance by the publisher of the publication.
Stays in R & D Centers (+ i).
The stay in other research centers is a very enriching experience, which allows both the learning of methods and techniques and facilitating the approach to other forms in the conception of research. The stay in foreign centers can obtain the doctorate with the international mention, provided that the duration of the stay (s) is that required by the corresponding regulations.
This activity will be validated with the presentation of the corresponding certification issued by the doctor who supervises the doctoral student in the reception center.
For the financing of this activity, public and / or private aid will be used.
Active participation in seminars (compulsory activity).
These seminars, which are allocated a total of 42 hours, can be organized by:
- The academic commission of the doctoral program (2 per year),
- Teaching staff and researcher participating in the doctoral program (4 per year),
- Professors and visiting researchers.
Validation of this activity will be done in several ways: signature on an attendance sheet, document signed by the tutor, director or by a member of the Academic Committee.
Participation in congresses and workshops.
It is about actively participating in:
- Specialized congresses (especially recommended) (20 hours are allocated): it is advisable that prior to the defense of the doctoral thesis, the doctorate has attended at least one congress presenting a mural or performing an oral presentation - preferably,
- Workshops and / or seminars promoted by institutions, companies, fairs, exhibitions, events of scientific and technological diffusion, etc. Related to the objectives of the doctoral program, as well as collaboration in the organization of the same (5 h): it is also desirable that the student participates as a collaborator in the organization of workshops, congresses, seminars, etc.
The validation of this activity requires certification of attendance and presentation of the communication, or, if appropriate, collaboration.
Where applicable, funding for this activity will be used for public and / or private aid.
Professional and academic outputs
As a result of the scientific-technological training received, the doctors trained in the PhD program Environmental Science and Technology will be prepared to access the labor market in both the professional and academic fields.
- Incorporation, and, where appropriate, management, in environmental companies (local, regional, national and / or international level).
- Integration and, where appropriate, management, in the R & D & I department of both environmental companies and public administration (local, regional, national and / or international level).
- Incorporation and, where appropriate, management in the environmental management department of companies from different productive sectors (local, regional, national and / or international level).
- Integration, and, where appropriate, management, in the environmental management department of public bodies (local, regional, national and / or international level).
- Entrepreneurship in the field of environmental science and technology (local, regional, national and / or international level).
- Management and / or technical advice of NGOs oriented to the protection of the environment (local, regional, national and / or international level).
- Incorporation to research groups of R & D & I institutions in the environmental sector, both public and private (autonomic, national and international level).
- Management and development of R + D + I projects in the field of environmental science and technology (autonomic, national and international level).
- University professor in different departments.
- Primary and / or secondary school teacher.
The doctoral program is open to university graduates in the different fields of Natural Sciences (eg Environmental Sciences, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geology, etc.) and to those coming from different branches of Engineering (for example , Chemical, Industrial, Naval, Agricultural, Forestry, Mining, etc.)