The program of Doctorate in Logic and Philosophy of Science Is interuniversity. The Universities of Salamanca, A Coruña, La Laguna, Santiago de Compostela, Valladolid and Valencia participate.
Its objective is to train Doctors in the different areas of the Area of Logic and Philosophy of Science and Social Studies of Science and Technology. In its current form, the Interuniversity Program in Logic and Philosophy of Science was launched in the course of 2013-2014. But, in fact, it already has a long experience, since it was born from the confluence of the Master's Degree in Logic and Philosophy of Science and the Master's Degree in Social Studies of Science and Technology, both initiated as Postgraduates in the 2007-2008 academic year.
It is distinguished from other, more generalist programs, by their clearly specialized nature. This makes it extraordinarily valued in the European and Latin American academic field. Its main virtue is the team of more than 50 high-level researchers who make it up, very prominent from the academic point of view and also very dedicated to this exciting interuniversity project with a clear objective: To train highly qualified researchers in Logic and Argumentation, Philosophy Of Science, Philosophy of Language and Social Studies of Science and Technology, capable of responding to the growing social demands in this area.
Why study the degree
The Area of Logic and Philosophy of Science stands out for its academic and research level, both in Spain and Latin America. It has a very important group of researchers, both for their number and for the quality and quantity of the research they produce. It is a characteristic of this Area the existence of links between researchers through various associations such as the Society of Logic and Philosophy of Science in Spain and the Society of Analytical Philosophy.
The research projects in which the members of the Area participate, as well as the results of this research, have a high level of recognition and excellence. However, in spite of the quality of the research carried out in the area of the Logic and Philosophy of Science, there was no PhD program capable of agglutinating them to its members until 2007, a Program that was at the same time specific to the area and sufficiently broad As well as to cover the wide variety of lines of research that the area covers. That was the reason that prompted us to launch this Interuniversity Doctorate Program. It involves most of the country's researchers, as well as some of the most recognized researchers from other European and Ibero-American countries. The program will soon be completed for ten years, to the full satisfaction of the professors and doctoral students graduated, according to the quality surveys.
What is learned
The program aims to train researchers trained to respond to the following social demands:
- To deepen the role of Science and Technology in contemporary society, analyzing its assumptions, contents and limits.
- The resolution of conflicts through rational discussion, for mediation and cultural criticism.
- Respond to the growing social demand for information about the functioning and structure of scientific-technological systems, their management and their impact within the different social, economic and political spheres.
- The analysis of the relationship between language and the world, cognitive models and their applications to artificial intelligence as well as problems related to communication, speech acts and pragmatics, meaning, intentionality, and theories of mental representation .
- The management of the various Information Technologies and their formal development problems: Artificial Intelligence, semantic web, computability, etc. Likewise, as for the development of classical and non-classical Logics, its history and its philosophy.
According to Royal Decree 99/2011, obtaining a doctoral degree must provide a high level of professional training in various fields, especially in those that require creativity and innovation. The doctors will have at least acquired the following core competencies, skills and personal skills.
Lines of investigation
These are the lines of research of this doctoral program:
- Argumentation and logic
- Social studies of science and technology
- Philosophy of science
- Philosophy of language
Specific Training Complements
In case the doctor does not have the complete previous training required in the program, his / her admission to the program may be conditioned to the surpassing of specific training complements, which may be subjects or modules of master and degree. The complements assigned to the same doctorate may not exceed 15 ECTS credits and may be made prior or simultaneous to the tuition in academic tuition in the program.
In case of simultaneous realization the students will have to register for these complements at the moment of formalizing the tuition of academic tutelage in the program, which must be surpassed in the maximum term of three consecutive quarters. Failure to do so will result in student disqualification from the program.
Formative Activities of the Program
The seven transversal and specific training activities of this Doctorate Program, of a stable character and directed to the group of doctoral students, are:
- Research seminars.
- Follow-up meetings of projects, works or research results.
- Methodological, specialized or practical training courses.
- Assistance to national or international congresses.
- Scientific Publications.
- Stays in other research centers.
- Actions and mobility criteria.
The Academic Commission of the Doctorate Program will decide for each admitted student, depending on his / her entrance profile and the previous training acquired, the necessity or not to carry out certain research training.
In particular, in the case of students who had not completed either the "Master in Logic and Philosophy of Science" or the "Master in Social Studies of Science and Technology", but nevertheless met the requirements of access , The Academic Commission of the Doctorate Program may establish that the applicant studies up to a maximum of five subjects (total: 25 ECTS Credits) of one of the two Masters mentioned.
In particular, students who have not completed a degree that has provided sufficient knowledge in the area of Logic and Philosophy of Science will have to complete training courses.
Professional and academic outputs
- Integration in groups and research projects , both national and international, in the different fields of the specialty.
- Opt to the development of academic activity teaching and research in centers of Higher Education.
- Professionals highly qualified and highly adaptable to various jobs, from the business sector of human resources to cultural, scientific and technological management, as well as scientific communication.
The Interuniversity Doctorate Program in Logic and Philosophy of Science is designed with the aim of fundamentally meeting the demand of current university graduates who wish to receive an additional specialization or research training and who has completed a Masters related to the field of Logic And the Philosophy of Science, students of foreign university systems who wish to study Doctoral studies in our country, and university graduates who decide to update their knowledge and skills or modify their profile. Our students are expected to have the following degrees:
- Graduates in Philosophy (graduates who have completed a master degree related to the DP or Doctors who wish to vary their profile).
- Graduates in the area of Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Informatics (Graduates or Doctors who have completed a Masters related to the PD).
- Graduates in the area of Social Sciences and Philologies (Graduates or Doctors who have completed a Masters related to the PD).
It is necessary that the researcher in formation can read philosophical and scientific texts correctly at least in Spanish and English.