The Programme Doctorate in Statistics and Operational Research Is an official interuniversity degree jointly offered by the three public universities of Galicia. Its objective is to train researchers in the area of statistics and operational research, so that they are able to carry out a doctoral thesis and develop a later academic or professional career in that scientific field.
Why study the degree
Decision-making in today's world, where large masses of data are available, makes it necessary to use statistical tools and increasingly sophisticated mathematics, which must be developed by experts such as those in this doctoral program .
What is learned
Statistical techniques, optimization techniques, mathematical techniques to aid decision making.
Lines of investigation
These are the lines of research of this doctoral program:
- Operational Research and Game Theory
Specific Training Complements
In case the doctor does not have the complete previous training required in the program, his / her admission to the program may be conditioned to the surpassing of specific training complements, which may be subjects or modules of master and degree. The complements assigned to the same doctorate may not exceed 15 ECTS credits and may be made prior or simultaneous to the tuition in academic tuition in the program.
In case of simultaneous realization the students will have to register for these complements at the moment of formalizing the tuition of academic tutelage in the program, which must be surpassed in the maximum term of three consecutive quarters. Failure to do so will result in student disqualification from the program.
Formative Activities of the Program
The following training activities are recommended, although all are optional:
- Follow courses of the master's degree in statistical techniques and other masters.
- Research stays in centers of recognized prestige.
- Attendance at research seminars.
- Participation in transversal training courses.
- Attendance and active participation in congresses.
- Publication of scientific articles.
Professional and academic outputs
Companies and public administrations today have a large amount of information that they need to process to improve their operation and to design their strategic plans properly. For this reason, it is foreseeable that they need more and more professionals with the profile of the doctors who will leave this program. On the other hand, in almost all the universities of the world offer degrees that include in their training plan knowledge of statistical techniques and optimization; Consequently, the doctors trained in this program have ample possibilities to pursue a research and teaching career in the university field.
- The master's degree that will allow entry into this doctoral program without training complements will be the Master in Statistical Techniques offered by USC, UDC and UVigo.
- They will also have direct access in the program the students with sufficient research or with the title of DEA obtained through the previous programs of Doctorate in Statistics and Operative Research in the three participating universities (USC, UDC and UVigo).
- Entry profile with masters different from the previous section: In the case of students who have taken a master's degree other than the previous one, the Academic Commission of the Doctorate Program (CAPD) will evaluate each case individually and consider asking them to carry out Complements of training (up to 15 ECTS) when in their previous training they have not taken at least 60 ECTS in the area of Statistics and Operational Research of masters level according to the CAPD judgment.
- Other profiles: In the case of students who have not completed a master's degree, it will be necessary to have equivalence of training at a master's level of at least 60 ECTS preferably in the area of Statistics and Operational Research. This equivalence will be determined by the CAPD.
- Students with foreign qualifications: Students with foreign qualifications without homologation may apply for admission to doctoral studies provided that they accredit a level of training equivalent to that of the official Spanish university master's degree and confer in the country issuing the diploma for access To doctoral studies. This admission shall not imply, in any case, the homologation of the previous degree or recognition for other purposes than those of access to these teachings.