The Cracow University of Economics offers innovative part-time Ph.D. Studies in Economics, Finance, and Management (EFM). These studies, conducted entirely in English, are designed for candidates interested in academic research, willing to explore multidisciplinary research opportunities given at the CUE. The aim of the programme is to educate future researchers, teachers, and professionals, and to contribute to the development and application of scientific knowledge at an international level.
- The programme lasts for 3 years (6 semesters);
- Doctoral students meet four times a year (2 times per semester). Each meeting lasts for three days (Friday-Sunday);
- Study programme is designed especially for foreign students involved in professional careers – thanks to flexible schedule they can work and live in their place of residence during the whole period of studies;
- Starting from the first-semester doctoral students participate in Ph.D. seminars – individual meetings with selected Ph.D. supervisor;
- During first and second year Ph.D. students follow methodology subjects, core courses and learn how to write a good research article;
- During the third year Ph.D. students follow courses familiarising them with current research issues (in economics, finance or management) as well as with detailed research methods in chosen fields;
- Additionally, students participate in organization of academic classes;
- Requirements: master diploma or equivalent and good knowledge of English language (confirmed by a certificate)
Part-time doctoral programme characteristics
- Ph.D. programme leads to obtaining the Ph.D. degree. The main aim of the programme is to write and defend a Ph.D. thesis. The thesis should be an innovative and original piece of work which shows student’s contribution to a given field.
- In order to prepare Ph.D. thesis students should conduct research: prepare and conduct their own research project. Students can use the CUE library’s resources online, which enables them to conduct research at home, in their place of residence. Research can be partially conducted at students’ work. Students who stay permanently in Krakow and are not involved in professional career are encouraged to take part in research projects conducted at the CUE.
- Ph.D. students are obliged to attend and complete courses. To complete courses students have to: take an exam/prepare an essay or project/solve an exercise prepared by a lecturer. Classes are held from early morning hours (8/9 am) until late afternoon hours (6/7 pm)
- During the first semester of Ph.D. studies, students choose their Ph.D. supervisor. Ph.D. supervisor should be a CUE academic. Each student writes his/her Ph.D. thesis under supervisor’s guidance. Students should work intensively with their supervisors and meet them as often as possible.
- During Ph.D. studies, students are required to publish articles. At least one article should be written by the end of the first year and published by the end of the second year. Another one should be written by the end of the second year and published by the end of the third year. Students prepare articles under Ph.D. supervisor guidance. Articles may be published in one of the CUE’s journals. Students may choose, however, a different journal (Polish or international) to publish their article.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 14, 2018