Kadir Has University's Finance and Banking Doctorate (Ph.D.) Program serves individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in finance either as an academic in universities or as a professional in finance sector institutions and organizations. Considering the value of time, students must select courses according to the specialization that they seek to achieve a maximum possible benefit in their learning and thesis research endeavors. The program consists of compulsory courses along with major-field and open-field selective courses. The major-field selective courses are those that are marked by FB course codes, whereas open-field selective courses are the ones that are offered by the other major fields of Kadir Has University’s School of Graduate Studies. In line, students can enroll too in graduate courses in related disciplines like economics, law, business management, communications, engineering, and management information systems. After successful completion of their course works, students must pass the qualifying examination of the program and then conduct thesis research towards a Ph.D. thesis ending with a successful thesis defense and approval.
Regulations and rules about acceptance to the program, course work and thesis work stages of the program and other matters in relevance can be seen at the graduate programs links of the Kadir Has University’s web page.
The language of instruction, education and thesis work of the program is English.
Instruction times of the courses are tailored to the needs of working professionals.
Distinctive features of KHAS Finance and Banking Ph.D. Program
The Faculty of Finance and Banking Ph.D. Program consists of competent academics who follow global and domestic developments in their fields closely. In addition to teaching courses and conducting other academic activities of the program, faculty staff also organizes panels, seminars, and conferences on topical economic and financial issues. Thus, the theoretical instruction of the program is enriched with real-world oriented examples and activities.
Kadir Has University’ s continuously expanding the library and electronic databases provide access to a wide variety of books, periodicals, and related information.
Graduates of the program acquire up to date instruction in the sine-qua-non fields of finance and banking like financial economics, financial institutions and markets, banking theory and policy, managerial economics, international monetary/financial system, financial risk management and financial modeling. For those who are interested, the program offers courses in quantitative finance, probability, stochastic processes, and statistics, too.
Course materials of the program are in English, thus providing students access the most up to date course information worldwide. This helps them compete better in the increasingly global marketplace for finance experts.
Graduates of the program successfully work in various private and public institutions like banking firms, corporations, investment funds, state organizations, and metropolitan majorities, as well as higher education institutions, universities and research centers.
Information on the Institution
The Finance and Banking Ph.D. Program was founded in 2009 within the Graduate School of Social Sciences and started accepting students in the 2009-2010 academic year.
Qualification Awarded/Level of Qualification
The students who successfully complete the program are awarded a Ph.D. degree (Level 7) in Finance and Banking Ph.D.
Candidates with a diploma from a 4-year undergraduate program in various fields can apply to the Finance and Banking Ph.D. Those who apply to the program with a thesis option must have a minimum of 55 points from ALES. ALES score is not required by those who apply to the non-thesis option. For detailed information please see: - Regulations for Associate and Undergraduate Degree Programs of Kadir Has University - Regulation for Graduate Education at Kadir Has University There are different procedures and requirements for the application of foreign nationals. Please check - The Guide for International Students.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Those students who have successfully completed at least one semester in another program of the graduate school or in another university may be accepted through transfer. The conditions for transfers are determined by the University Senate. Students should have completed courses of at least 6 credit/hours and should score 2.50/4.0 point average grade. Those courses that will be credited for Finance and Banking Ph.D. among the courses taken by students in other programs will be decided upon the proposition of the Finance and Banking Ph.D. and a final decision is taken at the Executive Board of the Graduate School of Social Sciences. Should special students in the same field are admitted to Finance and Banking Ph.D., the credited courses will be decided upon the proposition of the Finance and Banking Ph.D. Program and final decision is taken at the Executive Board of the Graduate School of Social Sciences. For detailed informatiom please see: - Regulations for Associate and Undergraduate Degree Programs of Kadir Has University - Regulation for Graduate Education at Kadir Has University There are different procedures and requirements for the application of foreign nationals. Please, check The Guide for International Students.
In order to graduate from the Program with thesis option, the students should have at least 3.00 over 4.00 Cum. GPA, should successfully complete all the must courses and the required number of elective courses, and his/her thesis must be accepted by the thesis examination board after his/her defense. In order to graduate from the non-thesis option Program, the students should have at least 3.00 over 4.00 Cum. GPA, should successfully complete all the must courses, and the required number of elective courses, and his/her project should be approved by his/her advisor.
Definition of the Program
The purpose of our PhD Program in Finance and Banking is to create an academic environment conducive to preparing individuals who are up to par with international standards in the field. It is a flexible program that enables candidates from social or technical sciences backgrounds to improve their professional and academic formation in a multidisciplinary framework. Accordingly, in addition to mandatory banking and finance courses, students can take elective courses offered by related graduate programs like economics, financial engineering, law or international relations. There is great latitude in choosing the topic for the PhD Thesis.
- Mastering basic finance concepts like time value of money, risk-return relationships. Acquiring the theoretical background necessary for understanding and solving financial and banking problems.
- Mastering basic finance concepts like time value of money, risk-return relationships, at the level of making contributions to the field. Acquiring the theoretical background necessary for understanding and solving financial and banking problems and for making theoretical contributions.
- Ability to creatively and innovatively analyze and solve problems encountered in the field of banking and finance at the enterprise, sectorial, macro and global levels in the light of economic and financial models.
- Ability to analyze problems encountered in the field of banking and finance at the enterprise, sectorial, macro and global levels in the light of economic and financial models.
- Learning and acquiring the ability to contribute to the historical, theoretical and practical knowledge about financial institutions and markets.
- Acquiring detailed historical, theoretical and practical knowledge about financial institutions and markets.
- Critically and creatively appraising the role and the importance of social, regulatory and political factors for the banking and finance industry from both practical and theoretical viewpoints and ability to come up with proposals for improvement.
- Appraising the role and the importance of social, regulatory and political factors for the banking and finance industry from both practical and theoretical viewpoints.
- Learning about the global aspects of financial markets and their interconnections with international affairs.
- Learning about the global aspects of financial markets and their interconnections with international affairs in their full detail and at the level of making contributions to existing knowledge.
- Learning and acquiring the ability to apply the principles and methods of financial economic theory including portfolio management, corporate finance, and other subfields.
- Learning and gaining the ability to apply and develop the principles and methods of financial economic theory including portfolio management, corporate finance, and other subfields.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize financial and economic data. Ability to present research findings in a written and verbal format. Ability to function both as a team member as well as a leader in business settings.
- Acquiring the ability for in depth and creative analysis, synthesis and usage of financial and economic data.
- Ability to present, discuss and defend research findings in a written and verbal format both in academic and business settings.
- Ability to function both as a team member as well as a leader and provide new perspectives in both business and academic environments.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
Graduates of the program can pursue their professional or academic careers. Furthermore, they can put their human capital which is the result of their prior knowledge and what they have acquired in the Finance and Banking PhD Program into productive use both in the private or public sectors.
Course and Faculty Member Evaluation Survey Graduation Survey Satisfaction Survey
All Erasmus and other international collaboration agreements of Kadir Has University that involve higher education and research at the graduate level apply to Finance and Banking Program.