The Department of Mechanical Engineering offers advanced coursework integrated with research leading to the Doctor of Philosophy degree in Mechanical Engineering. The program has four concentrations: Thermal and Fluid Systems; Design and Manufacturing Systems; Mechanics and Materials; and Robotics and Control. The Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering will be awarded to candidates who have displayed an in-depth understanding of the subject matter and demonstrated the ability to make an original contribution to knowledge in their field of specialty.
Why pursue a Doctorate in Mechanical Engineering at UTSA?
- The Ph.D. program in Mechanical Engineering offers opportunities in both advanced course work and research to prepare students for leadership roles in engineering careers with industry, government, or educational institutions.
- The program emphasizes both theoretical and practical aspects by combining the teaching and research expertise of the University community with the resources of other San Antonio research institutions.
- The Graduate Faculty in Mechanical Engineering are nationally and internationally renowned and active in conducting cutting-edge research projects which provide both research experiences and financial support for our graduate students.
Research taking place in the Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering program
The research in our graduate program at the Department of Mechanical Engineering mainly focus on four concentrations:
Thermal and Fluid Systems:
- Dr. Kiran Bhaganagar – Wind Energy and Turbulence Modeling
- Dr. Christopher Combs – Aerodynamics
- Dr. Zhigang Feng – Thermofluids Modeling
- Dr. Amir Karimi – Metastable Thermodynamics
- Dr. Randall Manteufel – Energy Conservation
Mechanics and Material:
- Dr. Yusheng Feng – Computational Bioengineering and Biomedicine
- Dr. Ender Finol – Vascular Biomechanics
- Dr. Wei Gao – Materials and Mechanics
- Dr. Hai-Chao Han – Cardiovascular Biomechanics
- Dr. R. Lyle Hood – Medical Devices
- Dr. Ruijie Liu – Hydraulic Fracturing and Geomechanics
- Dr. Harry Millwater – Mechanics of Materials
- Dr. Brendy Rincon Troconis – Corrosion Engineering
- Dr. David Restrepo – Advanced Materials
- Dr. Xiaodu Wang – Bone Biomechanics
- Dr. Xiaowei Zeng – Computational Mechanics
Manufacturing & Systems Engineering:
- Dr. Adel Alaeddini – Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Dr. Krystel Castillo – Supple Chain Modeling
- Dr. F. Frank Chen – Lean Manufacturing
- Dr. Can Saygin – AVP Manufacturing Engineering
- Dr. Hung-da Wan – Sustainability of Manufacturing Systems
Robotics & Controls:
- Dr. Pranav Bhounsule – Robotics
- Dr. Bing Dong – Building Energy
- Dr. Amir Jafari – Robotics and Mechatronics
Graduate Program Department Contacts
Cayla Jimenez, M.S.
- Program Coordinator
- Office Phone: 210-458-6477
- Email: Cayla.Jimenez@utsa.edu
Hung-da Wan, Ph.D.
- Graduate Advisor of Record
- Office Phone: 210-458-6325
- Email: Hungda.Wan@utsa.edu
Ender Finol, Ph.D.
- Chair, Graduate Studies Committee
- Office Phone: 210-458-8058
- Email: Ender.Finol@utsa.edu
About the School
The University of Texas at San Antonio is a multicultural discovery enterprise institution with more than 32,000 students. It is the largest university in the San Antonio metropolitan region.