One of the essential objectives for the economic and social development of the Canary Islands is the promotion of research and training in areas related to engineering and new technologies. The aim is to consolidate a scientific and technological system that promotes economic development and facilitates the shift towards a production model based on knowledge.
The program that is presented makes a contribution in this sense offering 4 lines of research of undoubted interest for a student with concerns in the scientific and technological field: Industrial engineering, electronic technology and communications; Automatic and system engineering; Computer systems and computation and Observation and modeling of the Earth-Atmosphere system. All the lines are backed by consolidated research teams and with an important international projection that guarantee the quality of the training for the doctoral student.
The student will find in this program a platform to deepen in areas of great interest in society. The proposed program will provide you with a high level of training that will allow you to present yourself to the business community as a highly qualified professional to face the important challenges facing society.
The present doctoral program proposal has its antecedents in the Ph.D. and Computer Science and Physics and Engineering programs, the latter being the latter. The PhD program in Physics and Computer Science was recognized with the distinction of Quality Mention by the Ministry of Education and Science with reference MCD2004-00437, a distinction that was renewed in the successive calls. The PhD program in Physics and Engineering, currently in force, obtained the Mention for Excellence by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports with reference MEE2011-0330. However, before the extinction of the latter by the current legislation on postgraduate studies (being a program articulated in accordance with Royal Decree 1393/2007), a structure is proposed, based on the program to be extinguished, maintaining its interdisciplinary nature and adapting to Spanish, Canarian and University of La Laguna regulations as far as postgraduate studies are concerned.
In the Physics and Computers program, 32 theses were read between the courses 2007-2008 and 2012-2013, with a number of enrollments equal 53. In the Physics and Engineering program, 32 students are enrolled and 2 doctoral theses have been read so far.
The academic and administrative authorities of the University of La Laguna, economic and social agents and broad sectors of public opinion have shown that one of the essential objectives for the economic and social development of the Canary Islands is the promotion of research and training in areas related to engineering and new technologies. The aim is to consolidate a scientific and technological system that supports economic recovery and facilitates the shift towards a production model based on knowledge.
The need of the different lines within the proposed doctoral program is based on the direct benefits it has for Canarian society, for the scientific community and for the University of La Laguna. The dissemination of knowledge and the research developed have a direct impact on the training of the necessary personnel
for the scientific and technological advancement of our environment and for the growing process of technological development in which the University of La Laguna is committed. It also supports the consolidation of a good number of engineering degrees.
An additional justification for our program is the demand that exists for doctors who effectively and competently perform their professional functions in the field of pre-university education and in emerging companies in the islands, together with the need to train quality researchers who contribute to the consolidation and improvement of the competence of our country in research and development tasks.
In our environment there is a growing demand for doctors with a high qualification in the field of Engineering. In particular, the areas of Systems Engineering and Automation, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence and Languages and Systems provide doctors who contribute to the innovation and development of medium-sized industries. In the same context, emerging companies have begun to develop their own software products based on the emergence in our environment of increasingly qualified doctors. Of special importance is the work of professionals with training in communications networks and scientific exchange in a territory such as the Islands.
peripheral to the Peninsula and the European Union and very fragmented. The development in these areas is considered strategic in the Canarian community, from the economic and social point of view.
The management of the environment is also considered of fundamental interest in the Canarian community. There are important aspects strictly linked to the correct management of the environment, which starts with the diagnosis and evaluation of the relevant parameters until the proposal of concrete solutions to particular circumstances. The Islands have a richness in their environment that feeds its main industry: tourism. The preservation of natural riches is, therefore, crucial. Every time there is a greater demand, from the private company and the administrations, of audits and diagnoses of the environmental quality leading to a sustainable tourist investment. On the other hand, there is the diagnosis, control and eventual solution of environmental pollution due to noise.
The doctoral students would also be in the program with the possibility of focusing their research towards the field of remote sensing, that is, the registration, treatment and analysis of images obtained by satellite or at the field level. No less important are the tasks of forecasting and detecting high rates of pollution in the air, especially in the Canary Islands which has a high allergic population that is above the national average. Another sector benefited by the training of researchers in remote sensing is the fishing sector, in which it reverses the application of remote sensing techniques in the location of capture banks and in a greater control of illegal polluting discharges in our coasts.
In the framework of research and development, our doctors will have a decisive contribution in several services of our University such as the Information and Communication Technologies Service and the Virtual Campus of the University of La Laguna, of special importance in a territory peripheral and fragmented as that of the Islands
Likewise, the scientific quality of the participants in the proposal guarantees a very high level of education, as shown by the obtaining and maintenance of the Quality Mention of the Physics and Information program and obtaining the Mention of Excellence for the Physics and Engineering program. , predecessors of the proposed program and of which it intends to be a continuation.
There is a social demand to reach a high level of R + D + i. It shows the policies of the different governments supporting actions related to R + D + i, despite the current economic situation. A strong R & D + i implies stronger companies, generation of social advances in the form of an improvement in the quality of life, etc. And in that aspect, the social demand for adequate training in aspects of R & D & I arises, which aims to be covered, to a certain degree, by this proposed doctoral program.
Currently, the University of La Laguna is working on the drafting of its R & D & I strategy in which it will undoubtedly be established that it is an objective of the university to promote quality research in the field of engineering. The Doctoral Program in Industrial, Computer and Environmental Engineering is, due to its background, a benchmark in this field at the University of La Laguna and will therefore be integrated into this strategy.
The Doctoral Program in Engineering and Environment will be integrated into the recently created Doctoral School of the University of La Laguna.
- CB11 - Systematic understanding of a field of study and mastery of skills and research methods related to the field.
- CB12 - Ability to conceive, design or create, implement and adopt a substantial process of research or creation.
- CB13 - Ability to contribute to expanding the frontiers of knowledge through original research.
- CB14 - Ability to perform critical analysis and evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas.
- CB15 - Ability to communicate with the academic and scientific community and society in general about their areas of expertise in the ways and languages commonly used in the international scientific community.
- CB16 - Ability to promote, within academic and professional contexts, scientific, technological, social, artistic or cultural advancement in a knowledge-based society.
Personal skills and skills
- CA01 - Navigating our contexts in which there is little specific information.
- CA02 - Find the key questions that must be answered to solve a complex problem.
- CA03 - To design, create, develop and launch new and innovative projects in its field of knowledge.
- CA04 - Work in both equipment and autonomously in an international or multidisciplinary context.
- CA05 - Integrate knowledge, handle complexity, and formulate judgments with limited information.
- CA06 - Criticism and defense of intellectual solutions.
- Workshop by research line
- Seminar of specialization by research line
- Development of the state of the art
- Training in information search competitions
- Stays in other teaching or research centers
Lines of investigation
- Line 1: Industrial engineering, electronic technology and communications
- Line 2: Systems engineering and automatic
- Line 3: Observation and modeling of the Earth-Atmosphere system
- Line 4: Computer systems and computing
- The academic commissions of the doctoral programs, referred to in article 14 of these regulations, may establish additional requirements and criteria for the selection and admission of students to the corresponding doctoral program.
- Admission to doctoral programs may include the requirement for specific training complements, in line with the admission profiles established for the corresponding doctoral program.
- These specific training supplements will have, for the purposes of public prices and the granting of scholarships and study grants, the consideration of doctoral level training and its development will not count for the purposes of the credit limits established in article 5.2 of these regulations .
- The requirements and admission criteria referred to in section one, as well as the design of the training complements established in section two of this article, shall be recorded in the verification request report referred to in Article 35
- Admission systems and procedures should include, in the case of students with special educational needs derived from the disability, adequate support and counseling services, which will assess the need for possible curricular adaptations, itineraries or alternative studies.
The academic commission of the PhD program Engineering and Environment will apply the following admission criteria:
Academic record.- Degree qualification (up to 4 points), Master's degree (up to 2 points). The score will be obtained by normalizing the student's record at intervals [0, 4] and [0, 2], respectively, using the following conversion: approved (1 point), remarkable (2 points), outstanding Points), honors (4 points).
Curriculum vitae (up to 2 points). Prior experience in research and transfer in the research lines of the doctoral program will be valued.
Personal interview (up to 2 points). The availability (total or partial) of the student will be assessed to do the thesis and their competence in oral expression and teamwork, in addition to their knowledge of English
It is the responsibility of the academic committee of the doctoral program to evaluate all the academic records and curriculum vitae and to conduct the personal interviews with all the students.
The minimum score to be admitted to the doctoral program is 5 points. Admission criteria will be common for full-time and part-time students. Of the places offered, up to 10% of them (3 places) can be covered by students with part-time dedication.
The University of La Laguna has launched the Program for Attention to Students with Disabilities and has a Psychopedagogical Counseling in the Information and Orientation Service. Your recommendations and reports will be taken into account by the Academic Committee of the doctoral program to meet the specific needs
derived from the disability of their students.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 9, 2017