- Duration of study (years): 3 years
- Title of studies: Doctoral degree in Theology
- Level of Title: Doctorate (3rd Cycle of Studies)
- Language of instruction: Greek
- Study Mode: Full-time / Part-time
- Minimum Credit Units: 90
- Minimum European Credit Units (ECTS): 180
Purpose and Objectives of the Program
The University of Nicosia offers Doctoral Program in Theology and Culture, from September 2015. In particular, the program covers the following subjects:
- Biblical Studies
- Ecclesiastical History (General, Greece, Cyprus, Patriarchates, Slavic churches etc.)
- Patrology and Hagiology
- Dogmatic, inter-Orthodox and inter-Christian Dialogue
- Pedagogy, Philosophy of Education, Christian Education and Multimedia
- Pastoral, Missionary
- Christian Ethics, Sociology, Ecology and Bioethics
- Christian Worship, Hymnology and Art
- Normal and Ecclesiastical Law
- Religious and Interfaith Dialogue
More specifically, the program states:
- In cultivation of critical thinking and the acquisition of skills approach to sources of science and their authentic interpretation by successful, modern methods of content analysis.
- To supply students with a variety of tools for carrying out original work, which will contribute to research to enrich and promote the science of theology, education and culture.
- In the study of the history and tradition of the place while deepening the study of the monuments, and highlight their importance for cultural continuity in the present and in the future.
- In examining the economic crisis and the current challenges in the field of Ecology and Bioethics, and the role of church ministry about them.
- In the study and deepening of the sources, but also to research on inter-Orthodox, inter-Christian and inter-religious dialogue.
The overall purpose of the Program is to prepare and train researchers to work as development catalysts at all three levels of education. Specifically aimed at training scientists and members of the Church and the state, which will help organize research programs and educational structures and services. This training scientists in broader, clearer and deeper understanding of the theological science and general research, will have practical implications staffing research and academic institutions, as well as benefits for the ecclesiastical and social life.
About the School
UNIC is the largest university in Cyprus, with over 12,000+ students, from over 70 countries across the globe, coming together in an innovative and transformative learning space.