About the Program
The all-English PhD program in Cognitive Sciences (CS) at National Chung Cheng University (CCU) is a new doctoral program, formally established in 2013, created by the joint efforts among faculty members of Center for Research in Cognitive Sciences, Department of Psychology, Graduate Institute of Linguistics, Department of Philosophy, Graduate Institute of Education, Department of Electrical Engineering, and Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering.
CCU has been playing a leading role in fostering and promoting cognitive sciences for more than a quarter of century in Taiwan, and we are excited to announce the new degree-awarding PhD program, which represents an interdisciplinary integration across many well-developed academic institutes and departments at CCU.
The main objectives of the CS program are to explore the nature of human mind and intelligence, the brain mechanisms underlying mental functions, and the behaviors that derive from the mental faculties. More specifically, the program covers areas encompassing psychology (especially cognitive psychology), linguistics, philosophy (especially philosophy of mind), artificial intelligence, image processing, machine learning, and neuroscience. We not only anticipate to make contributions to the study of mind, brain, and behaviors from our own disciplines, but also to benefit from closely interacting and communicating with colleagues from other disciplines that share the same intellectual interests, both at the level of theory construction and the level of empirical inquiry. To those ends, we have organized the CS program into four core areas in accordance with the expertise of participating faculty members. The four core areas are as follows:
- Cognitive neuroscience — including visual cognition, developmental neuroscience, emotional development, reading and language development, cognitive modeling, neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, etc.
- Linguistics and language processing — including syntax, phonology, semantics, psycholinguistics, language and cognition, computational linguistics, language acquisition, reading comprehension, etc.
- Mind and cognition — including the basis of logic and artificial intelligence, mental representation, consciousness, etc.
- Applied cognition — including cognitive aging, human factors, education and learning, human-computer interface design, artificial intelligence, image processing, and machine learning, etc.
Vision and Career Prospects
- Providing a diverse and rich learning environment for CS students to have first-hand global village experiences.
- Nurturing and cultivating CS students’ professional skills and knowledge in cognitive sciences and the related fields.
- Empowering CS students with the required training and skills to pursue (a) teaching and positions in colleges and universities, (2) R&D positions in industries where humans as end users are the main concern of manufactured goods and products.
Eligibility: Who can apply?
Eligibility for applying the CS all-English PhD program is in full accordance with the requirements set forth by CCU. Specific criteria are as follows:
- Applicants of Overseas Chinese Students must send the applications to CCU and University Entrance Committee for Overseas Chinese Students through individual application. The result will be sent to University Entrance Committee for Overseas Chinese Students, and the applicants will be told individually from the committee.
- Applicants of Mainland Chinese Students must send the applications to CCU and University Entrance Committee for Mainland Chinese Students through individual application. The result will be sent to University Entrance Committee for Mainland Chinese Students, and the applicants will be told individually from the committee.
- Domestic applicants must have obtained a Master’s degree from a domestic university or independent college accredited by the Ministry of Education of Taiwan, from a foreign (international) university or college recognized by the Ministry of Education of Taiwan, or have obtained an education level equivalent to Master degree.
- International applicants must currently hold nationality of a foreign country other than Taiwan, Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau, and have never held Overseas Chinese Student Status.
- Applicants must provide evidence of English proficiency (such TOEFL PBT, TOEFL CBT, TOEFL IBT, IELTS, TOEIC, or GEPT).
Application Procedure and Required Documents
All applications should be made through the online application system at CCU. After completing the online application, applicants should print out all the following documents and send the package to Center of International Affairs and Exchange, National Chung Cheng University.
- Application form
- Proof of financial resources
- Declaration of Nationality(This form is attached at the last two pages of Application form)
- (A minimum of) two letters of recommendation
- Photocopies of the highest earned degree
- Bachelor and Master (or the highest degree) courses transcripts
- Autobiography written in English (including reasons to apply, reading programs, research experience, etc.)
- English study plan written in English (including title, abstract, research objectives, methods, expected results, references, etc.)
- An official proof of English proficiency
- Master's thesis and/or other related academic works.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017