STARS is a program supporting talented Ph.D. students at the Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague. The aim of this program is to provide excellent education and an adequate income to Ph.D. students of the Faculty. The STARS program wants to attract the best students from the Czech Republic as well as from abroad. Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, is a top-quality center of research in natural sciences. The Faculty takes care about its future and that’s why the STARS program was born. Come to Prague and become the future of our Faculty!
Am I eligible?
The STARS program is open to all applicants who hold a master‘s degree or equivalent in sciences, medicine, pharmacology and a related field of study. It is also open to students who are in the last year of their studies and will be able to present their degree diploma at the beginning of their Ph.D. study. The candidate should be proficient in English; however, no formal English exam (such as TOEFL) is required.
How can I apply?
You can choose up to three projects (from Open calls) for which you can then apply through an online application form.
During the STARS 2017 call, prospective students can apply to Ph.D. research topics announced on the web pages on January 1, 2017. Deadline for application is February 29, 2017. Find more about Ph.D. project topics:
- Characterization of the injection apparatus of the intracellular microsporidian parasites
- Human mating strategies in a cross-cultural perspective
- Linking transcriptional regulation of lipid metabolism with catastrophic mitosis in fission yeast
- Opioid receptor signaling in astrocytes and its role in neurodegenerative processes
- Engineering the ecological niche by artificial lichen synthesis
- Plant invasions in protected areas worldwide
- Ontogeny, variability, and inheritance of facial morphology in Czech population: geometric morphometrics of 3D facial models
- Parallel adaptation to alpine environments in wild Arabidopsis
- The role of RNA-demethylase FTO in brain energy metabolism, cognitive function, and neurodegeneration
- Cellular determinants of auxin carrier dynamics
- Variable representation of protein interactions
- Differentiation of colonies and biofilms of yeast pathogen Candida glabrata
- Plant exocyst complex actions and interactions within the plant endomembrane system
- Iron as a virulence factor in parasitic protists
- Precision medicine approach to human carcinoma diagnostics: functional characterization of cancer stem cells
- Synthesis of novel porous catalysts and their application in catalysis
- Modeling of solutions of redox-active polymers for applications in redox flow batteries
- Synthesis of Natural Products Based on Catalytic Enantioselective C-C Coupling Reactions
- Multimeric macrocyclic complexes
- Polymeric Nanostructures Containing Boron Compounds
- Theoretical investigation of novel materials
- From 3D to 2D zeolites – theoretical investigation of zeolite hydrolysis
- Porous Polymer Catalysts (PPC) Based on Polyacetylene Networks
- Boron-Doped Diamond Electrochemical Sensors: Development, Characterization, and Applications in Electroanalysis of Biologically Active Organic Compounds
- Electronically dissymmetric ferrocene diphosphines
- Modeling of complex polymer systems
- Theoretical studies of endohedral fullerenes
Geology & Environmental Studies
- Influence of algal organic matter on properties of flocs formed during coagulation/flocculation in water treatment
- Physics of the water weakening effect in deformation of quartz
- Restoration of pre-collisional crustal architecture of the Northern Gondwana thinned continental margin
- Coupling mineralogical transformations and metal isotope fractionations for determination of environmental impacts of ore mining and processing
Right to the city, grassroots movements and struggle for sustainable and just urban environment
How are candidates selected?
The program is competitive. The supervisors of the individual Ph.D. projects will shortlist eligible applicants, who will then be invited for an interview to be held during the month of March. The exact interview dates will be agreed between the supervisors and the candidates. Based on the interviews, the applicants to whom the scholarship will be offered will be selected at the beginning of April.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 14, 2018