Advanced Materials are concerned with the structure and properties of materials which are enablers for technological innovation in biomedical devices, new energy, a sustainable environment, and new transportation. New materials developments have led to recent breakthroughs in “meta materials”, nanotechnology and biomimetics, etc.
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Program in Advanced Materials aims to provide rigorous training in both fundamental investigations of mesoscopic and atomic-scale mechanisms and related novel nanostructures, as well as engineering our original research results in various areas such as biomedicals, functional polymers, and smart meta-materials. New pedagogical training will be provided so that research students can acquire specialized and transferrable skills in new materials engineering that serve the related industries.
On successful completion of the Ph.D. program, graduates will be able to:
- Identify scientific and engineering significances in new materials design/discovery and new processes particularly structure-property relationships;
- Engage critical thinking skills that are essential for materials science and engineering;
- Apply a range of qualitative and quantitative research methods for conducting original research in materials discovery and innovation; and
- Demonstrate independent and critical communication skills in reporting scientific findings.
To qualify for admission, applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
i. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a master's degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification;
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if:
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.
This program is for HKUST(Guangzhou) Pilot Scheme Admission.
For more program information, please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs.
About the School
Situated at the heart of Asia, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a young and distinguished research university in Hong Kong. Ranked No. 27 in the World in the QS World Univ ... Read More