The study program "Algebra, Number Theory, and Mathematical Logic" offers students an advanced education in a selected area. The education allows the program graduates to follow contemporary research. It teaches them the basics of independent scientific work and how to approach various abstract problems.
The program does not contain specializations.
Description of verification and evaluation criteria
Admission for studies
Admission for studies will be granted to the applicants, who:
- submitted a complete application form together with all obligatory attachments before the deadline,
- they were granted an entrance examination waiver or they successfully passed the entrance examination,
- they successfully passed the language examination or they got a waiver of it.
Invitation to the subject entrance examination
The invitation to the subject entrance examination will be sent to those applicants, who:
- submitted a complete application together with its obligatory attachments 2,3 and 4 before the deadline,
- paid the application fee,
- did not obtain the confirmation of the waiver of the subject entrance examination before mid-May 2019. The invitation to an entrance examination is delivered through the University Electronic Information System. In mid-May, all applicants without a waiver receive an invitation to take the entrance examination from the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics. If the Faculty approves the waiver, the invitation ceases to apply.
The entrance examination consists of two parts, subject and language one. The subject part of the entrance examination takes the form of a discussion about the chosen study program. The committee gives the applicant three questions related to the chosen study program. The committee judges the correctness of the answer, the knowledge of the field and overall readiness for doctoral studies. Each answer is evaluated on the binary Pass/Fail scale. The applicant must obtain three passing grades. If the applicant has chosen one of the thesis topics offered by the faculty and has obtained approval of a future supervisor, or if the committee accepts the annotation of the applicant‘s own topic, the applicant will successfully pass the exam with only two passing grades from three questions.
The language entrance examination consists of a written test containing 100 questions (completing gaps in a text, i.e. choosing the correct word for each gap). The exam verifies that the applicant has an adequate command of the English language, i.e. at least at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). This is an equivalent of 50 correct answers.
Conditions for admission
Admission to Doctoral studies is conditioned by successful completion of a Master's study program.
|Confirmation date (of entrance exam)
||from: 20.06.2019 until: 21.06.2019
|Alternative date (of entrance exam)
||from: 28.06.2019 until: 28.06.2019
Rules governing exemption from entrance examination
Waiver conditions of the subject entrance examination
The subject entrance examination may be waived for applicants who have chosen one of the thesis topics offered by the faculty and obtained approval of a future supervisor, and for whom at least one of the following conditions applies:
- their work has been recognized in the SVOČ competition in computer science, mathematics, or teaching of mathematics (for study programs in the fields of Computer Science and Mathematics);
- their work has been recognized at the Czech-Slovak Student Conference on Physics (for study programs in the field of Physics);
- their original scientific work on a relevant topic has been published, or has been accepted for publication, in a reviewed medium indexed by MathSciNet, SCOPUS or ISI Web of Knowledge databases;
- they have finished a master's study program in the field of Physics, Computer Science, or Mathematics in the academic year 2018/2019, and their grade in each part of the state final examination is „excellent“ or „very good“ (for study programs in the field of Physics, Computer Science, and Mathematics);
- they have gained at least 120 credits in the master's study program in the field of Physics, Computer Science, or Mathematics in academic years 2018/19 and 2019/20, and their average study grade (according to the Code of Study and Examination, Art. 8, Par. 13) is at most 1.5, where 1=„excellent“, 2=„very good“, and 3=„satisfactory“ (for study programs in the field of Physics, Computer Science, and Mathematics);
- they have achieved other remarkable results testifying their ability for doctoral studies.
It is necessary to apply for the waiver and prove that the applicant satisfies some of the above conditions, by no later than May 31, 2019, in case of points 1,2,3,5 and 6, and by June 20 in case of point 4.
Conditions for a language examination waiver
The language examination will be waived if the applicant fulfills at least one of the following waiver conditions:
A. The applicant spent at least two years of his/her previous education at secondary or university level with English as the sole language of instruction in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, Malta, New Zealand, South Africa, UK or USA.
B. The applicant does not need to take the language examination of English if (s)he has already passed one of the following exams (in some cases we recognize the exam only with a minimum score or level):
- General State Language Examination in English in the Czech Republic
- Examination in English at Charles University, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics
- TOEFL (paper) – 550 points
- TOEFL (computer) – 213 points
- TOEFL (internet) – 80 points
- IELTS – 6.5 points
- Cambridge ESOL CPE
- Cambridge ESOL CAE
- Cambridge ESOL FCE – (Grade A, B, C)
- City & Guilds International ESOL IESOL and ISESOL, expert level
- TELC (The European Language Certificates) – TELC English level C1
- UNIcert – level C1
- Melab – 77 points
- Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE)
- Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) – 605 points
- International ESOL and Spoken ESOL – Expert LanguageCert and Mastery LanguageCert
The language examination waiver and the compliance with one of the conditions mentioned above must be requested before April 30, 2019 (or, in exceptional cases, before September 30, 2019).
The graduates have advanced knowledge of contemporary algebra, mathematical logic and number theory, verified by successfully passing the state doctoral exam. They are able to make use of recent scientific achievements and develop and apply them to solutions of concrete problems. They are also able to do systematic research, including publication and presentation of their results in research journals and at international conferences. A substantive part of their Dissertation has been published in a research journal. They have the capacity to start a successful academic career at universities and research institutions both in the Czech Republic and abroad but also work in R&D departments of various companies worldwide.
Program taught in: