Offered by the Division of Environment and Suitability, the programmes are supported with the following research foci and state-of-the-art facilities. It aims to provide students with a deeper understanding of environmental science and related policies so as to help increase their abilities in tackling the environment and generating meaningful solutions.
The Division’s main areas of focus are:
- Atmospheric science and air pollution
- Oceanic science and water pollution
- Climate change policy and adaptations
- Healthy living environment
We also work at the points where these areas intersect, such as the scientific understanding of management strategies and policy formulations.
HKUST has excellent central facilities and equipment to support the Programme's teaching and learning. These include the Air Quality Research Supersite Facility, Environmental Central Facility, Coastal Marine Laboratory, environmental monitoring facilities, real-time air quality, and meteorological forecasting systems, satellite receiving systems and Geographical Information System.
Program information for 2020/21 is now ready at pg.ust.hk/programs.
i. General Admission Requirements
Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have:
- obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
You have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments*:
- TOEFL-iBT 80#
- TOEFL-pBT 550
- TOEFL-Revised Paper-Delivered Test 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module) Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-scores: 5.5
*If your first language is English, and your bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification was awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction was English, you will be waived from fulfilling the above English Language requirements.
#refers to the total score in one single attempt
Please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs ("Application") for details.