Ph.D. in Business and Management
Spanning a broad range of business and management disciplines, our research tracks and addresses the threats and opportunities that arise from an increasingly competitive global business environment. Staff members are engaged in research collaborations with bodies such as the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), the Higher Education Academy (HEA) and Skills for Care.
We are actively engaged in conducting research on a wide range of relevant issues relating to leadership, ethics, organization studies, human resource management and development, employment relations, sales management, advertising, operations research, organizational excellence, and corporate branding. Members of staff work with businesses and policy-makers who are participants and recipients of our research to ensure that our work has relevance and impact.
The Portsmouth Business School welcomes applications from candidates wishing to pursue a higher degree by research. We can provide supervision across a range of areas, including Employment Relations and Human Resource Management, Global HR, Ethical Leadership and Decision Making, Marketing and Sales, Digital Marketing, Operations and Systems
Management, Quality and Project Management, Risk Management, Intelligent Business Information Systems, Strategy, Enterprise and Innovation, and Entrepreneurship.
- Business Education Research Group
- Employment Relations and Human Resource Management
- Finance Research Group
- Centre for Operational Research and Logistics
- Sports Cluster
- Product Innovation Research Group
- Gate-to-Plate Research Group
- Corporate Governance Research Group
- Economics Research Group
- Law Research Group
Funded Ph.D. Opportunities
- Technological innovation in the retailing sector: A study of emerging technologies and systems of innovation (application deadline 11th February 2018)
- The Collaborative Dynamic in Social Entrepreneurs’ Decision Making (application deadline 11th February 2018)
- Multinational Enterprises and Sustainable Development Goals in Sub-Saharan Africa. (application deadline 11th February 2018)
- Towards a cost-effective approach for UK lung cancer screening using simulation (application deadline 11th February 2018)
- Economic Decision Making for Others (application deadline 11th February 2018)
- The Economic Feasibility of Big Data Adoption: The Influence on Risk Reporting and Risk Management Quality (application deadline 11th February 2018)
Our dedicated Graduate School is the first port of call for information for all postgraduate research students and supervisors. We support, administer and coordinate training for the MPhil, Ph.D. and Professional Doctorate programmes.
As a research degree student at the University of Portsmouth, you will have access to the Graduate School Development Programme, which offers broad-based generic skills training with over 150 workshops on a wide range of topics including research design, doctoral process, and career development. These popular and highly rated workshops are delivered by our expert tutors from across the University and support our students at all stages of their research degree.
Find a supervisor
Please contact us to discuss your research ideas in more detail and to ensure that we have the supervisory expertise available to support your intended research area. We can then put you in touch with a potential supervisor.
A good first degree from an internationally recognized university (depending upon the chosen course, minimum second class or equivalent) or a Master’s degree in an appropriate subject. Exceptionally, equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications will be considered.
For students whose first language is not English, an English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0 is required.
Start dates: October and February.
Program taught in: