PhD in Business
Duration: 3 or 4 years (Full-time)
Place: Hong Kong
Faculty of Business
Department of Accountancy
By topical area, the Accountancy Department at Lingnan in the last 6 years ranks 21st worldwide in taxation research according to a comprehensive survey “Accounting Rankings for Universities 2014” by Brigham Young University (www.byuaccounting.net) and is the leader in taxation research in Hong Kong. The Department has published tax research in top-tier academic journals, including The Accounting Review; Journal of Accounting and Economics; and Journal of the American Taxation Association. The Department also ranks highly in auditing research according to the same study, and has published auditing research in the leading journals such as Contemporary Accounting Research; Review of Accounting Studies; Accounting, Organization and Society; Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory; and Journal of International Accounting Research. The accounting faculty also has an interest in corporate governance and ethics research. Our faculty members’ membership in the Editorial Review Board of leading research journals such as The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, and Journal of the American Taxation Association is clear recognition of our research standing. Our research contributes to accounting theory and practice that offers significant insights to the accountancy profession in the Mainland and Hong Kong.
Department of Computing and Decision Sciences
The Department of Computing and Decision Sciences Department is one of the five departments in the Faculty of Business, specializing in teaching and research in Information Systems Management (ISM) and Operations Management (OM). It has a small group of faculty members who are among the most active researchers in Hong Kong in their specialised research areas (http://cptra.ln.edu.hk/), and who are well recognised by peers with competitive research grants and publications in high quality journals (e.g., Management Science, Operations Research, Production and Operations Management, European Journal of Operational Research, Communications of the ACM, Decision Support Systems, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetic, and Information and Management).
The Department offers MPhil and PhD degree programmes in Business with a special focus on ISM and OM. We welcome motivated applicants and are fully committed to offering the best possible learning and research environment for our MPhil and PhD students. Qualified applicants are also encouraged to consider the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS), a highly competitive and prestigious programme established by the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong.
Department of Finance and Insurance
The Department of Finance and Insurance has seven faculty members who are active in research. Our research interests are wide-ranging and use theoretical, empirical, and applied approaches. The faculty has recently completed studies on credit ratings, securities volatility and derivatives, bank lending decisions, corporate finance, and theoretical models of insurance and risk management. The findings from these studies have been published in prestigious international journals.
The research students work closely with their supervisors. In addition to their theses, the students have the opportunity to work with faculty members on other research projects. Students do relevant coursework at Lingnan and at other local universities. One characteristic of our approach is that students start to work on research projects from their first term.
Department of Management
Lingnan’s Department of Management has developed research strengths in such major areas as conflict management, organization studies, business ethics, cross-cultural management, and China business studies and is also exploring emerging research issues. Our research supports Lingnan University’s liberal arts mission of developing and applying knowledge for public service. We seek motivated, capable students who are committed to developing their research competence through our postgraduate programmes.
Department of Marketing and International Business
Our faculty received their doctoral degrees in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, or the United States.
Over the years, the graduates of our programme have been gainfully employed by organizations in Hong Kong, the Mainland and overseas. Some continue to pursue advanced studies in other prestigious universities, including Georgia State University, McGill University, Rutgers University, York University, University of Connecticut, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and University of Alberta. Our graduates have presented their research findings at international academic conferences such as the Academy of International Business Conference and Marketing Science Conference. Some of them have won such awards as “Best Graduate Student Paper” or “Best Conference Paper” at international conferences.
Applicants may seek admission to the PhD programme in two ways as follows:
1. Apply for PhD Programmes via the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
Lingnan is one of the universities which can nominate brilliant applicants for the Fellowship to be granted by the Research Grants Council (RGC) through the HKPFS. Each Fellowship awardee will be provided with HK$240,000/year (HK$20,000/month) and a conference/research-related travel allowance of up to HK$10,000/year for a maximum of 3 years. (US$1=HK$7.8).
Applications for admission through this Scheme are now invited. To apply for admission, please make an initial application on the Admission System of the RGC at www.rgc.edu.hk/hkphd during the period from 1 September to 1 December 2017 (Hong Kong Time 12:00 noon). Each applicant will be allocated a reference number. The applicant is then required to submit a full application directly to Lingnan’s electronic system at www.ln.edu.hk/admissions/applyonline on or before 3 December 2017. Late applications will NOT be considered.
2. Apply for PhD Programmes Directly
Applicants may also seek admission to the PhD programmes by applying to the University directly. Full-time students will normally be provided with Postgraduate Studentships. The Postgraduate Studentship for a PhD student will be HK$16,390/month* (rate subject to review).
* To be raised to HK$16,720/month after confirmation of candidature.
The University invites applications from 1 November 2017 to 26 January 2018. Applicants may apply online via www.ln.edu.hk/admissions/applyonline. For details, please visit www.LN.edu.hk/reg/info/pgrad.
General Admission Requirements
- An applicant for admission to candidature for the degree of PhD should normally:
- a. hold a master's degree awarded by a tertiary education institution recognized for this purpose by the University; or
- b. hold a relevant bachelor's degree with first or second class honours or at an equivalent standard, and have registered in a programme of study for a master's degree at a recognised tertiary education institution for at least one year and have evidence of research achievement; or
- c. have obtained an equivalent qualification of a) or b) above; or
- d. have provided satisfactory evidence of academic and professional attainment.
Note: First-degree graduates with proven research qualification or experience might be admitted directly to PhD studies ONLY UNDER EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES. Normally a candidate without a master's degree would not be admitted to PhD studies and he/she should register as an MPhil student in the first instance.
- In addition to the above, an applicant whose degree is not from a tertiary institution in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country should obtain a minimum score of 550 (paper-based test) or 213 (computer-based test) or 79 (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a band score of 6.5 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an equivalent score in a recognised test, or an equivalent qualification to prove his/her language proficiency which will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applicants are required to fulfill additional requirements, if any, set by the programmes to which they apply for admission.
- For admission to Lingnan PhD programmes via the HKPFS, the RGC stipulated that for an applicant from a non-English speaking university, unless he/she provides proof that English is the language of instruction for all courses for the entrance qualification(s) of his/her proposed PhD programme(s), he/she is required to attach score results of TOEFL or IELTS in the PhD application. This requirement (mandatory submission of TOEFL/IELTS score results) can be exempted for applicants whose proposed PhD studies are specifically in non-English medium, e.g. Chinese. However, the applicants still have to meet the language requirements of the University as stipulated in paragraph 2 above.
Programme Specific Admission Requirements
- An applicant should:
- a. hold a relevant master’s degree from a recognized university with a good GPA; or
(Note: A relevant master degree includes a business master's degree offered by the Business Faculty of Lingnan University or by the business faculty of an approved institution. A non-business degree can be considered for relevance on a case-by-case basis.)
- b. hold a relevant bachelor’s degree with first or second class honors or at an equivalent standard, and have registered in a programme of study for a master’s degree at a recognized tertiary education institution for at least one year and have evidence of research achievement; or
- c. hold a relevant bachelor’s degree with first or second class honours or at an equivalent standard, and have obtained a professional qualification that requires graduate entry and not less than two years (full-time) of professional experience; or
- d. have obtained an equivalent qualification of (a) or (b) or (c) above.
- Aptitude Test
An applicant should submit official GMAT or GRE result with a satisfactory score within the past three years.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 14, 2018