As a postgraduate student in the Department of Chemistry at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, you will have the chance to study in programs that reflect the current, central, position of Chemistry and you will learn from diverse, innovative faculty at the forefront of their fields of research.
Our mission is to offer research and instructional opportunities in the emerging areas of Chemistry while maintaining a program rooted in the basics of the discipline. Postgraduate programs emphasize training in original research focusing on fundamental, interdisciplinary and applied areas. Complementing our formal degree programs is an active seminar program allowing students to meet prominent and international scientists who are pioneering the creation of new chemical knowledge.
The purpose of the PhD program in Chemistry is to prepare students through the execution and completion of a substantial research project to become mature, independent scientists who themselves are then capable of the design, initiation and execution of their own original projects in academic or industrial environments.
The admission into the program is to be regarded as a privilege, and the subsequent execution of the research project by a PhD candidate is a major undertaking. It requires the application of considerable depth and breadth of scholarship, and there must be substantial discovery of new science. The final PhD thesis must reflect clearly and completely the fulfillment of these criteria.
Research and development within the Department focuses on five main areas:
- Synthetic Chemistry: Synthetic methodology, organometallic chemistry and catalysis.
- Molecular Dynamics and Structure of Complex Systems: Laser-based spectroscopy, dynamics of biomolecular and supramolecular systems, computational chemistry (protein / RNA folding).
- Material Sciences: Nanomaterials, biomaterials, and polymeric and organic electronic materials.
- Chemical Biology: Protein organization in metabolism, signal transduction.
- Analytical / Environmental Chemistry: Method development and applications for environmental and bioanalytical chemistry, and atmospheric chemistry.
The department has international links with major chemical industries and has played a key role in setting up university-wide collaborations involving universities, research institutions and companies in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Japan, Europe and the US.
i. General Admission Requirements
Applicants seeking admission to a master's degree should have:
- obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification;
You have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments*:
- TOEFL-iBT 80
- TOEFL-pBT 550
- IELTS (Academic Module) Overall score: 6.0 and all sub-scores: 5.5
For more program details, please visit here.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017