The doctorate degree in Computing/Computer Science provides the future Ph.D. holders with the necessary skills and abilities to become successful academics demonstrating an excellence in research and making a significant contribution to the local and international research community in the field of Computing/Computer Science. Through a minimum of a 3 years period, candidates develop critical thinking, formulate their own opinions, acquire research culture, and become autonomous researchers able to plan, develop, implement and coordinate research studies as well as to the reason and present their findings to the international scientific community.
Objectives & Outcomes
The Program aims to:
- Provide graduates with the opportunity to conduct research studies in the field of Computer Science
- Cultivate ethically-responsible research studies in the field of Computer Science
- Enhance the research capacity of Cyprus in the field of Computer Science
- Enhance the implementation of Computer Science – related innovation activities (research & development) in the industrial sector of Cyprus
- Contribute to the enhancement of the overall research culture in Cyprus
Specifically, the Program aims to:
- Provide opportunities for candidates to specialize in research topics related to fields of Computer Science research
- Provide candidates with the ability to formulate and evaluate Computer Science research questions by following appropriate research methodologies
- Develop the candidates’ technical writing skills which will allow them to produce high-quality research documents (scientific papers, dissertation)
- Develop the candidates’ presentation skills which will allow them to efficiently showcase research findings in scientific conferences
- Enrich and deepen the understanding of the candidates’ knowledge of state-of-the-art Computer Science research theories
- Develop the candidates’ knowledge and skills which will allow them to produce new knowledge in the field of Computer Science
Upon successful completion of this program, the students should be able to:
- Develop written, oral and technical research skills.
- Select a topic of research in the field of Computer Science.
- Explain the need to position a Computer Science research project in a wider academic and business context.
- Develop a state-of-the-art review of the literature in a Computer Science research topic.
- Design, execute, interpret and report results from empirical research projects in the field of Computer Science
- Discuss state-of-the-art research results in the field of Computer Science
- Analyze a Computer Science presentation and extract findings that are relevant to his/her research
- Produce a research paper in the field of Computer Science
- Develop a presentation for a Computer Science research topic
- Present a Computer Science research topic in a wide audience
- Produce a thesis publication which documents the results of a research project in the field of Computer Science
After completing their studies, Ph.D. holders will be able to work as academics, researchers, scholars, experts or consultants in a variety of Computing sectors. In this context, they can be employed in the public and private sector universities, research centers or become self-employed. They could also pursue a career as post-doctorate researchers in European and International research projects and networks which aim to enhance basic and applied research in the field of Computer Science, and successfully exploit the major research funding opportunities available.
Program taught in: