The Ph.D. Program follows a strong research-intensive tradition on the North American model. It is designed to enable students to gain a deep knowledge of management in general, to develop a concentration in a specialized field, and to provide opportunities for students to do significant original research in their chosen area. Ph.D. students are offered intensive and targeted research training and exceptional collaboration opportunities with faculty to prepare them for their future careers in teaching and/or research.
Non-MPhil holders may be admitted through an integrated MPhil and Ph.D. program study scheme.
The program is offered by the Department of Finance with the following research foci:
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Contracts and Institutions
- Asset Pricing
- Behavioural Finance
- International Financial Markets
i. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
You have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments*:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80#
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised Paper-Delivered Test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-scores: 5.5
#refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if:
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.
iii. Program-Specific Admission Requirements
- A satisfactory score in GMAT or GRE
For more program information, please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs
About the School
Located at the Clear Water Bay of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a research-focused institution that ranks first among top young universities in the world (Ti ... Read More