Financial Technology (FinTech) is an important emerging area that has been developing rapidly in recent years. It refers to the application of cutting-edge technologies and advanced analytics on various financial services, such as mobile banking, peer-to-peer lending, digital payments, blockchain, and cryptocurrencies, aiming to improve service efficiency, promote financial innovations, and increase end-user satisfaction.
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Program in Financial Technology provides training and education for students to undertake advanced research and have a sound grasp of developments in FinTech. Students graduating from the program should be able to conduct and apply high-quality research that makes an impact on FinTech research and practice in academia and/or industry. The program focus on advanced research with an aim to place graduates in academia, research institutes, and industry jobs that appreciate research capability and quality.
On successful completion of the Ph.D. program, graduates will be able to:
- Identify and synthesize current research in FinTech;
- Compare and contrast state-of-the-art knowledge in FinTech and relevant reference disciplines (e.g., accounting, finance, computer science, mathematics), and apply such knowledge in driving FinTech research, practice, and innovation;
- Analyze, design, and execute FinTech research by utilizing proper research methodologies;
- Communicate the developed FinTech knowledge and research with the academic and practitioner community; and
- Create original, substantive, and impactful knowledge to advance the state of FinTech research and practice.
To qualify for admission, applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
i. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a master's degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification;
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if:
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.
This program is for HKUST(Guangzhou) Pilot Scheme Admission.
For more program information, please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs.
About the School
Located at the Clear Water Bay of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a research-focused institution that ranks first among top young universities in the world (Ti ... Read More